Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Brokeback Mountain

Started by Valerie, February 12, 2006, 11:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

Finally went to see Brokeback Mountain last evening.  Like just about everyone who's seen it before me, I cried....go figure  ::) ... 

This morning I told my mom that I went to see it, and she totally threw me a curveball, saying, "Oh did you?  I wanna' go see that one too."  "You do?", I asked her, thinking I had heard wrong. "Yeah, I heard it was good", she said.  I wondered to myself if I was in the Twilight Zone  ???   

As if that wasn't enough, she proceeded to tell me that a guy at her Bible study was describing the movie to them, and he was crying as he did so.  Maybe I hadn't cleaned my ears right or something...  But no...it was true.  Whoa... 

The church Mom goes to, which is also my former church, isn't what I would call 'gay-friendly'.  Thankfully, they are not the 'homosexuals are going to hell' type, either.  They are more 'homosexuality is a sin, but hate the sin and love the sinner' type.  So to hear that they discussed this movie at Bible study of all places (where Pastor is also present), my sox were more than knocked off.

Later, just to be sure, I said, "Mom, you do realize the movie is about 2 guys, right?" And she's like, "Oh yeah, I've known that all along.  I don't advocate homosexuality, but sometimes I just see it as 2 people."   :o  There may be hope yet....

XO,
Valerie
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Valerie on February 12, 2006, 11:38:15 AM
Finally went to see Brokeback Mountain last evening.  Like just about everyone who's seen it before me, I cried....go figure  ::) ... 

By "crying," do you mean sobbing until hiccup-like involuntary muscle spasms in the throat gasping after going through a box of tissues?

Yea, me too ;)

Happy little flick it ain't. Ouch. This one hurt.

*Gorgeous* scenery too, and shooting thereof.

Highly recommended. It speaks to everyone about the struggle of being true to ourselves.

It's wonderful to hear how the people close to you reacted to it. THAT'S the kind of film and emotional experience I wish Transamerica had been.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I just finished watching it and needed... some virtual company ;)
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Kate on March 30, 2006, 10:58:27 PM
By "crying," do you mean sobbing until hiccup-like involuntary muscle spasms in the throat gasping after going through a box of tissues?

That's called hyperventilating.  I still haven't seen the movie yet, but I probably will once it comes out on DVD since I feel more comfortable crying at home.  Another tear-jerker I saw recently is "Just like heaven" with Reese Witherspoon.  I never cried so hard during a movie.

Melissa
  •  

Alexandra

brokeback mountain is out on DVD as of today.
  •  

Kia Lafemme

Well i have not seen the whole movie, i startet to see it,
but i thought it was borring and gave up in the middle of it,
i think it is a quite overratet movie,
but luckely not all people have same taste :-)

I just saw the movie Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams, think it was for the fifth time,
i think the story in that movie can be compairet to how transsexul have to fight to be acceptet.

Have any one else seen that movie,
and does it make you cry like a baby too a cuple of times?
  •