Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Name change

Started by Bird, September 09, 2011, 06:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird

Here in Brazil, it is possible to change your name but not gender marker on your ids before having SRS. I'm contemplating this possibility of doing this because I have been living full time for 2 months now, but there are complications, namely my family. My father is non-accepting and I will be financially dependent for a year or so still until I graduate. The reason I am getting away with transition is because he simply doesn't wants to see the truth and we don't live in the same city and I can finance my HRT with my own sparse earnings.

So I am thinking about changing my ID card and university name, so I graduate with the correct name as this would cause less problems in my professional life. It is also very unlikely he would find out before I graduate. The major thing that could cause problems is if my current bank decides to change my name of my bank account, as it is the account he deposits to and I withdraw money from.

The plan is to change my legal name, the university name, create a new bank account and keep the old account with the older name. I would use the new account for general monthly expenses while keeping the old account with the same old name to withdraw money from. Yes I am aware it is a balancing act. I will be able to use the old bank card without any problems, because here in my country your ID is never asked, only the password.

Can anyone give their general thoughts and opinions? Thanks!
  •  

Bird

I´ve been thinking and I have it figure out I believe.

The process of name change takes between 3-6 months here in Brazil. My graduation is in early December of 2012. I will open the process in such a manner that once it is seen through, I will be in the last few months of university and able to sustain my living here even if my parents decide to disown me. I can keep up for 6 months or so with the money I have, even 12 months if I cut down on a lot of stuff. I will change my university name once we are 3 or 2 months away from graduation, so, if that is what gives me away to them, it won't change anything related to my living standards.

God help me.

•  

missF

Hi!

Have you got full information regarding name change? I talked once with a lawyer from some GBLT office from my hometown and the way she explained the process it demands a lot of time (more than 3-6 months) and bureaucracy (aka lawyer expenses, presence in court, etc). I don't know though, since Brazil has no specific laws regarding name change for transgenders, if each state has autonomy to decide how to apply such cases (I know that we have to go with the law for changing name in general). One thing I know is that we depend a lot on how open minded the judge is  :-\

Changing documents is my next battle, I have dual citizenship and none of the countries  have laws that make things easier... *sigh*

I hope your plan works fine :) Specially cause if you change name before grad, no extra head aches changing your name on the diploma afterwards ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/sweeetFlav

If you never changed your opinion in the last 5 years check your pulse. You might be dead
  •