Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What job/occupation do you do?

Started by Mahsa Tezani, October 03, 2011, 11:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linde

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on May 21, 2019, 07:37:01 PM
I was a field engineer for a scientific equipment company.  It's just another term for a chemist who knows how to run spectrometers and knows the difference between a wrench and a screwdriver. 

The constant travel got old and I got an offer to do the same basic job for a university while getting to work on my PhD and that's where I am now.  The pay is lousy and the hours are long but at least I'm not living out of hotels 4-5 nights a week.  Having a fun project to work on keeps things interesting.
An one of these days, a nice big company will hire you, you will have your own lab and some lab techs to do the dirty work.  If you are lucky, they are beautiful looking people who admire you, and if you are in bad luck, they are grumpy looking old farts, who know what they need to do without you having to explain every detail.   You get a few, you loose a few!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Sonja

Quote from: Haley Conner on May 21, 2019, 07:29:38 PM
@Sonja, 3D modelling and animating are also among the things I do.  I started back before people had any clue about topology, edge flow, non-planar quads, etc. and things were very experimental.
@Haley Conner
Yeah when I first started I had to prgram raytracers manually with lines of text....moved on to power animator and then Maya. Zbrush and other progs.

Sonja
  •  

Haley Conner

@Sonja, YIKES.   :o  Was that the POV-RAY renderer?
  •  

Allie Jayne

After 30 years as a mechanic and manager in the truck and earthmoving field, I semi retired at 50 to teach children about marine life and to look after native fish in tanks. I have been doing this for 15 years, and when my boss asked when I planned to retire, I told her never! I love my job too much!

Allie
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Haley Conner on May 21, 2019, 09:16:30 PM
@Sonja, YIKES.   :o  Was that the POV-RAY renderer?
@Haley Conner

Why Yes! Yes it was!  Lol familiar I take it?
The most recent was Octane gpu rendering

Sonja
  •  

Haley Conner

@Sonja I had a copy with which I did a couple test renders.  I knew some people who made some really impressive renders with it though.  I was more interested in trying to demystify the largely undocumented at the time software Blender.
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Haley Conner on May 21, 2019, 10:17:05 PM
@Sonja I had a copy with which I did a couple test renders.  I knew some people who made some really impressive renders with it though.  I was more interested in trying to demystify the largely undocumented at the time software Blender.
@Haley Conner

Blender! I tried learming that for a few hours one day but I just found it too confusing to get the harder stuff done.
Maya, zbrush, Moi, were my modelling staples with adobe creative cloud my editors. Renderers were maya software, mental ray and then Octane.
Most of the work i did was tv ad animations, architecture fly throughs, jewellery modelling and 3d printing for engineering prototypes and scale models for viz.

What type of 3d work do you do?

Sonja
  •  

Vethrvolnir

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on May 21, 2019, 02:34:34 PM
@Vethrvolnir
Thanks for your posting/comment, interesting I am sure, but what do you do for work, school, or whatever?   
It would be of interest to all of us on this thread if you felt free to share with us.

Best Wishes,
Danielle

Well I work for a government. People ask the  organisation  questions.  I write replies on behalf of the organisation. Me and colleagues collaborrate to assemble the content for the answers from our combined knowledge.

I n my spare time I write fanfiction ( badly but enthousiastically) .  And play the sims 4 and minecraft. I have a house and household with one partner who is a cis male and two children and two pet rabbits. I do climbing as a hobby and plan to resume karate  lessons later this year. I do live action role play and cosplay. I  have a MSc degree in biology. Plant biology. I did a lot of drawing before. I' m interested in photoshop and 3d work would like to know moreabout 3d printing. And i want to learn to fly a boeing dreamliner.

Mostly human
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Vethrvolnir
Thank you for sharing about the things that take up your days...
....  I always find it interesting to discover more about our other members here on the Forums.

Again, thanks for your reply comment/post.
Best Wishes,
Danielle

Quote from: Vethrvolnir link=topic=106927.msg2255186#date=1558519549
Well I work for a government. People ask the  organisation  questions.  I write replies on behalf of the organisation. Me and colleagues collaborrate to assemble the content for the answers from our combined knowledge.

I n my spare time I write fanfiction ( badly but enthousiastically) .  And play the sims 4 and minecraft. I have a house and household with one partner who is a cis male and two children and two pet rabbits. I do climbing as a hobby and plan to resume karate  lessons later this year. I do live action role play and cosplay. I  have a MSc degree in biology. Plant biology. I did a lot of drawing before. I' m interested in photoshop and 3d work would like to know moreabout 3d printing. And i want to learn to fly a boeing dreamliner.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Haley Conner

@Sonja, Mostly boring graphics stuff like logo design, but have also made some interesting images for contests and my personal use, as well as co-authored a book on how to use blender that sold really well.  I have never used Maya, but I remember at one point they appropriated the UV unwrapping code from Blender, and we had to ask them to remove it.  They hadn't understood the licence, apparently. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Haley Conner     @Sonja
Wow.... you girls sure have found a common thread regarding your past work experience.....
.... I definitely do not understand much about what you are both discussing but it sounds to me like you certainly know what you are talking about.

Now, if you were talking about accounting practices, financial planning and tax laws I would be in my world of knowledge.

In my opinion this is what this thread is all about ...  learning about the skills and job experience that other members possess here on the forums.
It is a good testimony that here on the Forums that members here have a wide variety of knowledge and abilities ....

Thank you for sharing.... please continue on, I will definitively learn something as you post more comments.

Hugs and best wishes,
Danielle

Quote from: Haley Conner on May 22, 2019, 09:05:43 AM
@Sonja, Mostly boring graphics stuff like logo design, but have also made some interesting images for contests and my personal use, as well as co-authored a book on how to use blender that sold really well.  I have never used Maya, but I remember at one point they appropriated the UV unwrapping code from Blender, and we had to ask them to remove it.  They hadn't understood the licence, apparently.

•  

Haley Conner

@Danielle There definitely seem to be some occupational trends here!  I also get the impression that a high percentage of forum members are well above average intelligence-wise.
  •  

DawnOday

Yes, I am considering San Jose. Jo is leaving bread crumbs that she would want me to move out. It's a very tuff decision because of my kids and grandkids. Also my pension does not exist due to medical Bill's so ss is it.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

DawnOday

In 1996 I took courses for microsoft nt system eng. But they discontinued and changed the next year making my cert useless.

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Bea1968

San Jose CA? Nice area.  I grew up not far from there.  Lots of nice cities in the Bay Area. 
  •  

Bea1968

My wife keeps trying to push me into IT and that is my biggest complaint.  Spend a lot of time and money learning something and in short order it is rendered obsolete. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Bea1968 on May 22, 2019, 11:38:19 AM
My wife keeps trying to push me into IT and that is my biggest complaint.  Spend a lot of time and money learning something and in short order it is rendered obsolete.
@Bea1968
Not to worry .....   "IT" and various computer related skills in some form will be much needed long after you and I are gone.   Obviously the computer field will continually evolve, change and increase in the foreseeable future.

The real key is to find some kind of work that you have a passion for, have some knowledge of, and can make some income from doing it. 

There is an old and very wise saying that is sometimes contributed to Confucius.... 
  "If a man (person) has a job that he loves, he will never have to work a day in his life."

Thank you for posting your thoughts.
Best Wishes,
Danielle

•  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: DawnOday on May 22, 2019, 11:34:38 AM
In 1996 I took courses for microsoft nt system eng. But they discontinued and changed the next year making my cert useless.

NT 3.51 was clobbering Novell Netware during this time period, when NT 4.0 came to market in '96, the writing was on the wall for Netware. I had the Novell CNE 3/4, then later the MSCE 4.0, having those certs paid nice dividends in the 90's

Best

C -
  •  

Bea1968

Lol Danielle!  Don't think there is anyone willing to pay me to drink beer, hang out at the beach, play video games and sleep. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Bea1968 on May 22, 2019, 11:38:19 AMSpend a lot of time and money learning something and in short order it is rendered obsolete.

Actually, obsolescence gave me some job security.

I worked on maintaining the VMS operating system for years.  Once Windoze came out, everything went that direction.  Except our system.  It was all custom software (back in the day, no one used off-the-shelf software: it was all purpose-written), and every time they had someone investigate migrating it to a more modern platform, the answer always came back that the cost would be astronomical.  Since we had to keep the software, we had to keep the operating system.

Eventually, it got to the point where VMS systems were a rarity, and people who knew how to maintain them were even rarer.  I didn't have the skill set to work on a more modern system, but I had job security where i was.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •