Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

An interesting story about Buddha

Started by Amaranth, September 14, 2011, 01:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaranth

There is a story about a man who went to see the Buddha because he had heard that the Buddha was a great problem solver. Much like you and me, this man had some problems in his life and he hoped the Buddha would solve them.

This man was a farmer.

"I like farming, " he said, "but sometimes it doesn't rain enough, my crops fail, and my family lives on the constant brink of starvation. On the other hand, sometimes it rains too much, my crops die, and my family lives on the brink of starvation.

The Buddha listened patiently as the man went on.

"I'm married too," said the man. "She's a good wife whom I love, but sometimes she nags me too much and I get tired of her. I also have kids. Good kids mostly, but sometimes they don't show me enough respect. I feel like my family doesn't respect me or the land, and just sits around being lazy and uncaring, eating my food and spending my money."

The man went on telling the Buddha his problems. Finally, he stopped on the brink of tears, and waited for the words that would take care of everything.

The Buddha simply said, "I'm sorry, my friend, but I can't help you."

"I don't understand. Why? What do you mean?" said the man.

"Everybody's got problems," said the Buddha. "We've all got eighty-three problems, in fact. Eighty-three problems, and there's nothing you or I can do to change that. If you work really hard on one problem another one will pop up in its place. For example, you're going to die some day. That's a big problem, and there's nothing you, or I, or anyone else can do about it."

The man was at wit's end. He'd poured his heart and soul out to the Buddha, expecting to find relief in his wisdom.

"I thought you were a great teacher!" he shouted. "I thought you could help me! What good is your teaching if you can't help me with my problems?!"

The Buddha said, "To make it up to you I will help you with the eighty-fourth problem."

Curious and frustrated, the man asked, "What's the eighty-fourth problem?"

Buddha replied, without an ounce of sarcasm or condescension, "You want to not have any problems."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While studying the Eightfold Path, this story stuck out to me and my issues relating to a TG path.  I've used it as a source of patience and serenity.  It reminds me, and anyone on a similar path, that these are no different than any other problems we face in life.  Harboring anxiety and discontentment with our current situation is therefore useless, and wishing it (transition, HRT, acceptance, etc) would change any faster only causes more suffering.  Therefore, I believe the key to being happy regarding these issues is remembering that fixing it is not the only thing in life that matters, and change will happen gradually.  Does anyone here agree/disagree? 
  •  

Keaira

That was a wonderful story. And I can see how we have  eighty-three problems no matter what. With Transition we worry a lot about what our friends and family think, which is very understandable. But what about if/when they accept us. Then that focus shifts to strangers. Then, even if we are totally passable we worry about being read. or a potential mate, etc. When one is solved another will take it's place. Some things you just cant control or do anything about. So you can lay awake at night and worry about the what-if's. Or you can sleep peacefully in the knowledge that you have done all you can and to accept that. You may not get your solution today or tomorrow, but something will come along to present that opportunity to solve your problem, or at least work on it.
  •  

Padma

Yeah, I've had an "interesting time" with myself at first, and then with some of my fellow Buddhists, making sense of the apparent paradox that my desire and need to transition is in fact an expression of deep self-acceptance. But this is why I wasn't ready to transition earlier in life: because I would have been doing it out of self-rejection instead, and it wouldn't have changed anything. I had to arrive in myself with love first, before I could truly say "okay, now that you more fully accept yourself, you need to accept *this* too" and be ready to transition.

Most people's biggest problem to face is seeing who they are as a problem, I think.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Amaranth

Quote from: Padma on September 14, 2011, 03:43:42 AM
Yeah, I've had an "interesting time" with myself at first, and then with some of my fellow Buddhists, making sense of the apparent paradox that my desire and need to transition is in fact an expression of deep self-acceptance. But this is why I wasn't ready to transition earlier in life: because I would have been doing it out of self-rejection instead, and it wouldn't have changed anything. I had to arrive in myself with love first, before I could truly say "okay, now that you more fully accept yourself, you need to accept *this* too" and be ready to transition.

Most people's biggest problem to face is seeing who they are as a problem, I think.

Definitely...that's what made my transition take so long.  Thanks to society and the people I knew within it, I saw my inner nature as a problem that needed fixing, and I approached it in a completely wrong way.  In terms of acceptance and religion, people's reactions and understanding seem the opposite of what they should be.  When my Buddhist friends say "longing to change yourself causes your suffering," I say "my suffering only comes from longing to not have to change my body to match myself."  When my Christian friends say "God made you male, and He wants you to stay that way," I say "If the spirit matters more than the flesh, shouldn't I care more that my spirit was made female, and live accordingly?"

I haven't heard a good rebuttal to either of those responses yet :\
  •  

Padma

Hmm, with my less flexible Buddhist friends I ask them "I'm going beyond my conditioned ego comfort zone of being 'male' - so what have you done lately to challenge your Self?" :) - after all, Padmasambhava exhorted his disciples to go to other countries to teach, in order to shake up their comfortable sense of belonging, so "moving to another gender" is a pretty good challenge to the ego identity, wouldn't you say? ;)

Etc, etc.

Fortunately, of my few friends who are uncomfortable with my transition, most of them are able to own up to their own discomfort and not make it my problem. It's just a few people with quite conservative ideas about gender who try to hide it behind the pseudo-dharma.

What particularly amuses me is when someone says "I just don't understand why you're doing what you're doing!" to which I reply "Well of course you don't, because you haven't asked me why yet, so I haven't told you. But then of course you don't really mean 'I don't understand', do you, you mean 'I don't approve'. And that's yours to deal with..."
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Amaranth

Quote from: Padma on September 14, 2011, 05:54:17 AM
What particularly amuses me is when someone says "I just don't understand why you're doing what you're doing!" to which I reply "Well of course you don't, because you haven't asked me why yet, so I haven't told you. But then of course you don't really mean 'I don't understand', do you, you mean 'I don't approve'. And that's yours to deal with..."

That's an excellent response.  I'm writing this down for reference.  :)
  •  

Dominatrix ♥

wow that was a nice story i love buddhas story its very very nice  ^-^
My Forum Blog: http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,388.0.html
Equality cannot be reached if fought in a divisive way.
  •  

Abstract

I think of a giant hole in the ground... in order to get rid of it one must dig another hole to fill it.

yet in some cases the problem is not the hole itself but say that people are falling in the hole... in which case one can dig many small holes to fill the big one, and thus not have to worry about people falling into the many small holes. So sometimes the nature of the problem moved in a certain way aids.
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates
"Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of God." -Cicero
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily believing it." -Aristotle
  •  

Abstract

Quote from: Padma on September 14, 2011, 05:54:17 AM
Hmm, with my less flexible Buddhist friends I ask them "I'm going beyond my conditioned ego comfort zone of being 'male' - so what have you done lately to challenge your Self?" :) - after all, Padmasambhava exhorted his disciples to go to other countries to teach, in order to shake up their comfortable sense of belonging, so "moving to another gender" is a pretty good challenge to the ego identity, wouldn't you say? ;)

Etc, etc.

Fortunately, of my few friends who are uncomfortable with my transition, most of them are able to own up to their own discomfort and not make it my problem. It's just a few people with quite conservative ideas about gender who try to hide it behind the pseudo-dharma.

Yet a person does not approve, because they do not understand.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily believing it." -Aristotle
  •  

Abstract

Quote from: Amaranth on September 14, 2011, 04:25:24 AM
Definitely...that's what made my transition take so long.  Thanks to society and the people I knew within it, I saw my inner nature as a problem that needed fixing, and I approached it in a completely wrong way.  In terms of acceptance and religion, people's reactions and understanding seem the opposite of what they should be.  When my Buddhist friends say "longing to change yourself causes your suffering," I say "my suffering only comes from longing to not have to change my body to match myself."  When my Christian friends say "God made you male, and He wants you to stay that way," I say "If the spirit matters more than the flesh, shouldn't I care more that my spirit was made female, and live accordingly?"

I haven't heard a good rebuttal to either of those responses yet :\
If one said, "God made you male, and He wants you to stay that way,"
I might say, God made you a baby but you didn't stay that way did you? (of course there is the difference of choice)

Or better, "God gave you legs, yet you use a car."

Or, "And God gave you clothes?"

Or, "God gave you body odor, why do you cover it with scents?"

Personally, I had heart surgery when I was seven days old so I would say, "So you think God wanted me to die when I was 7 days old? Because he wanted me to stay that way, with a coarctation of the aorta."

If they say yes, then I would say, "Well maybe your right, I should stop talking... because clearly God wanted you to stay stupid." (I wouldn't really say that...)

--------------
If you say, "If the spirit matters more than the flesh, shouldn't I care more that my spirit was made female, and live accordingly?"

The problem with that rebuttal is that they might rebuke or simply quietly think, "If it is the spirit that matters, why do you need to change your body?"

I might say then, "Why does your wife wear makeup?"
Or something of the sort...

•  

Amaranth

Abstract,

Love your responses, especially the last one ;)
  •