Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

wanna to know? (WARNING: GRAPHIC DEATH IMAGES)

Started by jossef-ftm, October 07, 2011, 06:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermione01

Quote from: emil on October 08, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
really? you need photos of dead people hanging from ropes to feel that the glass is half full? well then. whatever helps...i guess that's what you're saying.
by the way there was no warning notice when i first looked at the thread. when i see photos of holocaust victims, i don't feel happy to live in a different time - i feel sadness, and upsetting, overwhelming helplessness, that's all. when i see these pictures, i don't feel lucky to live in a different place - me living in a different place didn't save their lives.

I hear what you are saying but shock tactics do work. Images of starving children in Africa did achieve a higher donation from the public to help fight famine, words would never have gotten the same result.

I don't believe the OP's images should be censored and even add, to give these people dignity and humanize them, is to name them and give their story.
  •  

TheAwesomePrussia

Quote from: emil on October 08, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
really? you need photos of dead people hanging from ropes to feel that the glass is half full? well then. whatever helps...i guess that's what you're saying.
by the way there was no warning notice when i first looked at the thread. when i see photos of holocaust victims, i don't feel happy to live in a different time - i feel sadness, and upsetting, overwhelming helplessness, that's all. when i see these pictures, i don't feel lucky to live in a different place - me living in a different place didn't save their lives.

My exact words were "some people". By no means do ALL people need to see it. But for some, yes. For some reading about it is enough, for others just knowing it exists is enough. But for some, as Hermione said, the shock of it really puts perspective on it.
While I don't think it should need a warning, it does, and it's still respectful to others to have one. Though I'm not the OP, I'm sorry to anyone, such as yourself, who saw it prior to the warning and didn't want to. But it's still better for these pictures to exist and be seen by people who would potentially have something done about it.
Personally, while it may not be our country, it's still our world, and the people involved are human beings just like us. It does humanity no good if everyone else ignores all the bad in the world. Warnings, yes, censorship, no.

It's not so much seeing that the glass is half full, as seeing that some of our problems are not of as dire consequence as we believe them to be. Money and effort to change the government and laws in a country like this, seems to me, far more important than money for a new mall in town or donations for a better church.
  •  

Natkat

Quote from: TheAwesomePrussia on October 08, 2011, 05:03:37 PM
I believe Jossef has said before, in another thread, that the reason he isn't leaving the country is because he has to take care of his family.
And I don't think it's disrespectful to show the pictures here. It would be disrespectful to show them to, say, an anti-queer community. But not here. Here, their death is respected, and mourned. We see it differently than those who support it. I honestly think that for some people, this is really the kind of imagery we need to see for it to really sink in how lucky we are, and how many problems this world still has. And perhaps one day it will reach the eyes of a person who has the power to do something about it.
Pushing it under the carpet like dust, and refusing to acknowledge it, seems to me, far more disrespectful.

thats a shame, I think it would be posible with 1 or 2 members like in "not without my daughters" but if we talk about a big famely then its harder.

Josse;
is it the people in your country or the goverment who get to kill people?
  •