Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Dollar Store Makeup

Started by Fighter, October 12, 2011, 06:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fighter

I really want to start practicing my application of makeup, but the problem is I honestly have no clue where to start at all :D. I was thinking of starting by getting a ton of stuff from a dollar store either in or out of town to start the actual practice and see what shades and whatnot looked good on me. Would this be recommended?
  •  

Devlyn

There is good information and great articles here and in the wiki section about makeup. I did the smart thing and let my friend Tina pick out the right shades and colors that will work with my skin. She made me throw away the first lipstick and nail polish I bought myself, before I went to her for help. She told me my first wig had to go, too. Now I'm in the same boat as you, learning how to use it all! Hugs, Tracey
  •  

tekla

Sounds good to me, the basic techniques, how to use what brush, the liners and all that - well like all technique takes practice, I spend time doing it, washing it off, doing it again.  No sense in using Lancome for that.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

JoanneB

Practice, practice, practice. I spent lots of hours when I first started doing and redoing my face getting the basics down. Then moving on to trying different colors and different techniques. A few different books and YouTube videos will be good for pointers.

One word of warning on dollar store makeup. Stick to the name brands. The dollar item eyeshadows tend not to cover well. You may get a lot of colors but I've found the colors don't come through on your lids.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Lyric

I'll double what Joanna said. Cheap offbrand makeup is often (usually?) not worth it. But if you go to Wal-Mart you should find everything you need reasonably priced and from lower cost brands like Mabeline. Makeup just is one of those areas of being a girl that just costs some money to do at all well. If you can manage to come up with at least a hundred or so for it that should get you started.

There are tons of good (and not so good) guides on the web. Go the public library and find a good makeup book. The books by the late Kevyn Aucoin are everywhere and great. For all the video how-tos you need, just paste this into Google:

makeup site:www.youtube.com

Lyric
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Elsa.G

Occasionally at places like Dollar Tree they will have some brand name make up, ive been to a few DT's and they have some brands such as Almay, Loreal, Maybelline and Max Factor. Most of the time they tend to be lip colors but ive been lucky enough to find concealer, mascara and eye shadow from those brands. The ones i have bought work just fine and i dont think there's anything wrong with buying make up from places like that and it wont break the bank. However the majority of the time i purchase make up from other stores not the dollar store. Normally however they have cheap brand make up, like ELF and LA colors and i normally stay away from LA colors except for lip colors and nail polish, ELF has good brushes. ITs all a matter of finding the good stuff :)
  •  

Marta

Actually that's how i learned to apply make up. When i was 14 or 15 my mom started bringing me make up from the dollar store just so i can learn to apply it. It was more her idea haha, but anyway i definitely did learn how to apply it very well. I never really wore it out though, it was just for practice.  Most dollar store make up isnt very good , but like ElsaG said u can certainly find good make up at the DS, sometimes that is. Good luck.
  •  

Mahsa Tezani

Quote from: Fighter Sadie on October 12, 2011, 06:41:58 AM
I really want to start practicing my application of makeup, but the problem is I honestly have no clue where to start at all :D. I was thinking of starting by getting a ton of stuff from a dollar store either in or out of town to start the actual practice and see what shades and whatnot looked good on me. Would this be recommended?

Seriously? Dollar store makeup is chalky pigment.

If you want to learn something seriously...you gotta invest money. Don't buy vid games and manga books... Buy high quality makeup.
  •  

Lyric

I just thought I'd throw this in since I just ran across this terrific (and beautiful) lady named Leigh Ann  on YouTube. She's got three hundred something videos up and they're all great tutorials on makeup, hair and fashion. Also she has a great feminine personality and is very expressionless for anybody looking for a model of voice and mannerisms. Check out Leigh Ann Says:

Great "drug store" makeup tute:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leighannsays#p/u/6/Z_JlhEKq_pU

Leigh Ann Says Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leighannsays

Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Mahsa Tezani

Quote from: Lyric on November 13, 2011, 12:13:53 PM
I just thought I'd throw this in since I just ran across this terrific (and beautiful) lady named Leigh Ann  on YouTube. She's got three hundred something videos up and they're all great tutorials on makeup, hair and fashion. Also she has a great feminine personality and is very expressionless for anybody looking for a model of voice and mannerisms. Check out Leigh Ann Says:

Great "drug store" makeup tute:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leighannsays#p/u/6/Z_JlhEKq_pU

Leigh Ann Says Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leighannsays

Lyric ~

That is like something from the "stepford wives"
  •  

tekla

she has a great feminine personality and is very expressionless

And here I thought that the classic 'great feminine personality' was highly expressive.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Lee

Some cheap makeup works really well, and some is terrible.  It seems like some things (powder foundation, mascara, blush) really don't work well unless they're a better brand.  Others (lipstick, eyeshadow, eyeliner) seem to work fine.  Also, some cheap eyeliners run really badly.  There's certainly nothing wrong with picking up some inexpensive things to try out colors and styles, but you might want to put some more money into it once you figure out what you like.  Have fun. :)
Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love

A blah blog
http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,365.0.html
  •  

Mahsa Tezani

Quote from: tekla on November 13, 2011, 07:30:47 PM
she has a great feminine personality and is very expressionless

And here I thought that the classic 'great feminine personality' was highly expressive.

That girl in the video is really a robot and needs to have her tubes tied and she can do my bidding.

Damn stepford wife.
  •  

Lyric

Oops "expressionless" should have been "expressive". And hey, Stepforder or not, she knows more about makeup than I do. I wouldn't say I want to discuss quantum physics with her, but eyeliner, sure.
  •  

mixie

Dollar store make up is garbage.  It doesn't sit right on your face. 

I would suggest going to Macy's and getting it done.

One  thing I've learned from years ago is that most people are fairly cooperative with unusual requests if you tell them you are doing it for a play.  So perhaps just say your high school is doing a production of Hairspray or La Cage and see if you can get a professional to help you.  Usually you just need to buy one product and a good quality lipstick is really worth the price.

The cosmetic counter gal will probably know the real deal but it will make it easier all around. 
  •  

Maya Zimmerman

Aw, it would be nice if I could afford better makeup or video games or manga!  I can't even afford to go bankrupt yet (saving up, maybe early 2012)!  Ah, well.  C'est la vie.  I don't really mind the makeup I get at Aldi, probably because I've never used good makeup.  :P
  •  

Lyric

They have makeup at Aldi? I go there almost every week (it's close to the house) and have never noticed.
  •  

Mahsa Tezani

Quote from: Maya Zimmerman on November 17, 2011, 02:15:01 PM
Aw, it would be nice if I could afford better makeup or video games or manga! makeup.  :P

More makeup, less manga.
  •  

pinupboy

Personally, I adore dollar store eyeshadows, stick eyeliners, and lipsticks (for lighter shades of lipstick.) If you want dark lipstick, I wouldn't suggest dollar store brands. Good luck!
  •  

AprilAero

dollar tree stuff is not that bad, don't expect to be getting some similar to what the more expensive makeups can do, but for just starting out its a very good start. you don't have to use expensive makeups to look beautiful. its really about the way you use it not what you are using. now you are not gonna have as much of a selective at dollar tree, as its just like 7 or 8 feet. of stuff shelf wise.

places like riteaid are good to check too cause they have a lot of stuff , and some of their things are affordable.
  •