Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do you hate friends and family calling you by your old name?

Started by ~RoadToTrista~, November 02, 2011, 03:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luc

I hated my birth name with a passion from the age of... birth? As far back as I can remember, long before I had a clue what transgender was, I hated it. The only people who still call me it are family members, and I'm pretty certain they do it only to spite me. Well... it works. Even friends who knew me well before transition have had no problem adjusting to the change, and extended family members who have known me from birth don't slip up, either.

If I ever got ma'am'ed (that's an interesting apostrophe conundrum), I think I'd either have a heart attack or laugh my ass off. It's been 2 1/2 years at least since I had any visible feminine features. Of course, it's always fun to watch people's faces when my mom introduces me as her daughter... still waiting for someone to suggest she check into the psych ward.
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

Aintza

I not even know my boyfriend´s old name; never asked him.

Sometimes I feel it is gloomy for him to have lost something as personal as a name, even if it was a feminine one.
  •  

Felix

I tried and tried and tried and failed to find a useful name that was similar to my birth certificate name, so I just picked something that felt right. It was a pretty intuitive decision, not rational.

Lol I still don't have a middle name, though. I'm not keeping my current one. It's passed down to each firstborn female in my mother's family, and I could make it masculine but I'd feel slimy using it no matter what.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

ClockworkAnna

Quote from: mixie on November 08, 2011, 01:04:42 PM
How do you pick a new name?  Do you try to pick something similar to your old name like Chaz/Chastity, or do you have a special reason behind your new name?
I looked at baby names pick a couple and tried them out each for a week (though I was only out to two people then), then pick the one I liked best.

Rossiter

I always hated my old name; I was pretty vocal about how I intended to change it before I even came out as trans. It's been ages since I introduced myself to anyone with my birth name, so it's just my family now using it. They're starting to come around now when they're actually speaking to me, but still use it all the time. I thoroughly dislike it but at the same time I never really identified with it (even when it was the only thing people called me it'd often take a moment for me to realize who they were referring to). It's definitely strange and annoying though.
  •