Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How do you know if you pass if some people can clock you, but others can't.

Started by Angélique LaCava, April 05, 2017, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiliFee

Quote from: Fresas con Nata on April 05, 2017, 01:28:03 PM
5. People have a different transdar.

A good metric I use to know whether I pass or not are children. They will stare/point at you with nofilters because they still don't know that it's not polite to stare/point at someone. The days that they don't look at me too much, I know I'm doing fine.

True! People have a trans-dar, and being queer generally improves these. Let me tell you a little story.

About 2 weeks ago I was at this party, in our apartment block. I moved here a couple months ago, after my ex and I split up. It's like an old building which is split in to 120m2 apartments, most of which are shared student flats. That puts the average age of the people here around 25-30, we hang out in the garden all the time and make campfires.

So... We had one of those parties some weeks ago, and after an hour or so, these two girls walk in. Mind you, I've also got a queer-dar, and it immediately started to blink red and beep at annoying rate. Somehow, I just knew those two were in love. After half an hour, I was sure: looks had been exchanged, subtle touching and holding fingers, all 'under the radar'. Except for mine.

Then, the unexpected happened. I'm stealth here, and since I moved in, nobody has been able to tell. That includes my doctors, after having been asked 'are you pregnant' gazillions of times when getting scans and the likes. So anywayz, one of these girls walks up to me and asks me: "What was your name again?" I reply by saying I'm called [...], and that it's not a traditional German name (I'm Dutch but living in Germany). She replies: "Ah, because I figured, maybe you wanted to be called by the male version?".

--> Apparently she clocked me! I'm not quite sure how she clocked me, as FTM or MTF. When I get clocked, people sometimes seem to think I'm FTM. But anywayz, I was visible as a transgender person. So.... What's the takeaway message?

We all get clocked every once in a while. And I do think Kittenpower is right too: Basic decency comes a long way. There are those who notice and those who let you know they did. Clocking involves the latter, for me. I'm sure there are many people who've had at least a hunch, albeit subconsciously.

That begs the bigger question: are you afraid of being seen as Trans*? To be honest: sometimes I am. A major part of the last decade, I've been involved in many kinds of activism, and thus kept an open narrative. I wanted to reach people,  help them and educate them. After a while though, the energy ran out and the passing improved. Perhaps, I figured, I can't take on the entire world. Nobody can, for that matter. So I secluded myself into a stealth-existence, which really calmed me down and helped me heal. Having been clocked by that girl really shook that world up, and was huge downer on my self-confidence. It's getting a bit better now (weeks later), but still.

TL;DR To live stealth is a choice, being clocked is not. There is a difference: we choose to live a 'normal' life because it entails less fighting and explaining. That doesn't mean being seen as trans* is necessarily a bad thing, we have to learn to be beautiful without hiding that which makes us unique!
–  γνῶθι σεαυτόν  –

"Know then thyself, presume not God to scan, The proper study of mankind is Man"
  •  

bronlee

One way to clock a MtF is to check the Adam's apple.
I know I do if I want to be sure. I suspect other people do the same.
Hugs,
Bronwen.
  •  

Iliana.Found

I would also just like to add that some guys are into trans girls so they will approach you or show interest knowing ahead of time that you are trans. Not saying this is all guys and if they do split after you tell them, well then it's obvious they didn't know :) I've had a few guys that showed interest and when I told them I was trans, the said they knew and wanted to continue whatever it was that we had going. I've told others and they said they didn't know and then I never heard from them again.

Then I've had a group of electricians checking me out at a bar when I was with my boyfriend. I could've sworn they were laughing at me because they knew I was trans; since one looked at me turned to his friends and then they all looked at me, looked at each other and smiled and started talking while giving me glances. I thought they were laughing at me. My bf goes to the bathroom. One of the guys approaches me and trys to pick me up saying that he and all his friends think I'm so hot lol My perception was totally off and I think I floated on clouds for the next week lol I guess they could've known I was trans anyways and just thought I was a hot t-girl  ??? I've come to live with the fact that you really don't know what someone is thinking when they stare or check you out. Just be you and be confident in you :)
"It seems we struggle for a lifetime to become whole. Few of us ever do ... Most of us end up going out the same way we came in -- kicking and screaming. Most of us don't have the strength -- or the conviction. Most of us don't want to face our fears."
― The Fountain
  •  

Iliana.Found

Quote from: bronlee on April 06, 2017, 07:54:30 AM
Hugs,
Bronwen.

Hey Bronlee :)

My Adam's apple is barely visible and I've never had surgery. I've seen cis-women with bigger AAs than I have.
"It seems we struggle for a lifetime to become whole. Few of us ever do ... Most of us end up going out the same way we came in -- kicking and screaming. Most of us don't have the strength -- or the conviction. Most of us don't want to face our fears."
― The Fountain
  •  

LiliFee

Hugs,
Bronwen.

Wrong. I don't have a visible adams apple, nor did I get a reduction. I guess it's usually a set of traits instead of one single one. The only trans-girls who don't have those are the ones who've had puberty inhibitors starting age 12, and HRT startin age 16. Still, starting at a later age (like me; age 28) can yield pretty astounding results ;)
–  γνῶθι σεαυτόν  –

"Know then thyself, presume not God to scan, The proper study of mankind is Man"
  •  

Wild Flower

Hugs,
Bronwen.

"Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets."
  •  

KayXo

Getting rid of that Adams apple certainly helps. Mine was quite prominent, now gone! Slight scar there, blends in the folds of the neck so barely visible and no one ever asked me about it. I usually find the cisgirls that are thinnest show a slight Adams apple.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •