Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Spooky Movies

Started by Plague, October 23, 2011, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerVicki

I just watched Heredity and was not impressed. The movie really did not start until an hour in. It was ok. It just started with a ton of back story. If there is a sequel it will probably be better.
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 17, 2018, 06:09:12 PM
I just finished watching yet another great foreign movie on Netflix called 'Errementari: the Blacksmith and The Devil."  I really liked it!

Ryuichi

I second that.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Phobia 2 is a good one as well. 

Face it, I'm just going to list all the scary movies I like as I watch them this month.  :P

Ryuichi

•  

ChrissyRyan

How about this old one:  Psycho from Alfred Hitchcock?
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

How about The Sixth Sense?
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Ryuichi13

Okay, I'm going to say it.

The Jurassic Park series.

Face it, if freakin' dinosaurs were chasing me trying to eat me, I'd find it pretty scary!  I still want a pet triceratops.  :P

Ryuichi

•  

ChrissyRyan

Scary? 

How about the original "Alien" movie?

Chrissy
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on October 23, 2018, 08:30:22 AM
Scary? 

How about the original "Alien" movie?

Chrissy
Oh man, that movie scared me SO BAD back in the day!  The sequel, Aliens was the best of the series, IMVHO.

Also, the first Predator movie too was really great. 

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 23, 2018, 12:16:43 PM
Oh man, that movie scared me SO BAD back in the day!  The sequel, Aliens was the best of the series, IMVHO.

Also, the first Predator movie too was really great. 

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Loved pRedator!
  •  

ErinAscending

I don't really do scary movies much anymore...  But when I was a kid for some reason I really liked "Night of the Comet".  Watched it again a few years ago and wow.  I seriously wished I had some crackers upon which to spread all that cheese.  Ha Ha
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

Ryuichi13

Welp, I just finished watching Shutter, the 2004 version.  Its on Netflix.  Damned great movie!  Solid story, creepy and sad and the ending...WHOA!

Ryuichi

•  

MaryT

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 26, 2018, 03:07:58 PM
Welp, I just finished watching Shutter, the 2004 version.  Its on Netflix.  Damned great movie!  Solid story, creepy and sad and the ending...WHOA!

Ryuichi

I've seen Shutter and yes, it is very good.  It is about time I watched it again.

It is too late for this year's Halloween but there are other really good horror movies that have come to mind.

If sci-fi horror is appropriate, The Thing (1982) is really good.  It has been vaunted as the last and greatest of the animatronic monster movies (real monsters in those days, not yer modern cgi stuff).

I recently saw Nina Forever on television.  I had seen it once before but I enjoyed it and I think that it will become a cult classic.  I found it horrifying rather than terrifying but it is also rather funny in a possibly sick way.  It is an original addition to the revenant genre.

Over this year's Halloween period I also watched The Witch (2016).  It is very atmospheric and has an authentic feel, drawing as it does on 17th century witch lore and testimony.  Nowadays, most people in the First World may think that it is absurd to fear witchcraft.  However, although the vast majority of those accused were entirely innocent, there is ample physical evidence from the period, e.g. grimoires, amulets, dolls and hands of glory, showing that some people at least tried to cause harm by black magic that sometimes even involved corpses.  So called muti murders still occur even in South Africa.  Contemplating those facts may help to create the best frame of mind for enjoying the movie.

•  

MaryT

During this Christmas period, I watched the 1975 adaptation of The Ash Tree.  Although only about half an hour in duration, it was the scariest adaptation of an M R James story that I have ever seen, although I am a fan of other adaptations such as Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You (1968).  No Lewton Bus here - you do see and hear the monsters in brief clips.  It was actually scarier than M R James' original story.

Many years ago, I saw another TV adaptation, the 1973 feature length version of Dracula scripted by Richard Matheson and starring Jack Palance.  His portrayal of Dracula is by far my favourite of any in the Dracula movies I have seen, and I have probably seen all of them, including both versions of Nosferatu and Shadow of the Vampire.  In an interview, Christopher Lee, who probably played Dracula in movies more than anyone else, also named Jack Palance as the best.

I liked Shadow of the Vampire partly because I was always intrigued by the fact that the actor who played Dracula in Murnau's Nosferatu was called, appropriately, Max Schreck.  Shadow of the Vampire explores that coincidence further.

If creature features are appropriate for Halloween, Anaconda is a fine example.  As in many monster movies, the real monster is one of the humans, and the wonderful Jon Voight is scary even after he has been eaten.

•  

big kim

Night of the demon
The wickerman (original not the Nicholas Cage abomination), it scared me sober!
The legacy, a genuine spooky feel to it & Sam Elliott in a shower scene, aka the legacy of Maggie Walsh
  •  

Ryuichi13

I know its no longer the Halloween season but I've recently watched a few scary movies on Netflix.

'Don't Knock Twice' is a different take on the "don't call out evil if you don't want it to answer" genre.
'Malicious' was also a really good scary movie, as was 'Await Further Instructions,' although I'd say that the second one was more a "what happens when people get locked in their homes and something bad happens?" type movie.

Surprisingly enough, I liked 'Sweeny Todd.'  The first time I "saw" it, I was at a party, and half of the party came over to sing along, and didn't have subtitles running, so I got to watch it but not hear it, especially since half of the singers were pretty terrible.  ???

I also liked 'Apollo 18,' although it was a bit formulaic. 

For some reason the first three 'Final Destination' movies are back as well.  Since I had never seen them, I watched them.  They were great for laughs!

Welp, that's all I have for now.  I watch a LOT of horror movies, so I'll probably be back to add to this list.  ;D

Ryuichi

•