Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I feel really depressed.

Started by Sybil, August 03, 2013, 05:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybil

Since last night, I have encountered absolutely horrible tooth pain. It is so bad that it has made me cry several times, and running cold water over that area last night almost made me drop to the ground in shock from the pain.

My health insurance will only cover extractions for dental. Several of my teeth hurt, which I think either means an infection is rapidly spreading or some of my teeth are feeling sympathy pain. I have pain on both the top and bottom, though, so I think it's probably just sympathy pain. I'm still afraid that I'll need multiple extractions, which just isn't practical or a good idea (and can have an assymetrical impact on your face shape). I'd have to turn to root canals, instead, which would cost me a ton of money.

I just started working about two and a half months ago. I make minimum wage. It took me many years to work past anxiety and depression to get a job, and I save all of my money for transition stuff. As many of you know, the cost of transition can be a huge mountain when you're looking at FFS and GRS. It pains me far too deeply to have to give up what little money I've made for a possible root canal. Just thinking about it has made me cry desperately several times since last night. I had to duck into the closet at work to regain my composure every time I started thinking about it again.

I tried to confide in a friend about how awful this is making me feel, but I didn't think they'd understand as well as other people here might. I feel like my life has been unlived up until now because of a lack of feeling comfortable in my skin; pushing back my transition stuff feels absolutely horrible to me after what I've been through. My feelings are a mess.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Christine167

Whoa relax. Last I remember you work in the Boston area. There are several dental schools in your area. They need patients for their students to actually check off on doing actual procedures.

Call them and see what their policies are. In my area you can get about $1000 worth of work done for about $50.

For you it does sound like either infection (abcess) or tooth impaction. Call them up and keep hope. You can also qualify for a medical loan if the colleges can't do anything for you. Keep us informed and we can try to walk you through it. Until then fever reducer/pain killer available over the counter. I suggest not tynlinol. Try something like aspirin that will actually put a dent into the pain.

•  

Ltl89

I don't have dental, and I too have teeth with issues.  My dentist is understanding of this fact and tries to work with me when I go. Doctors realize that patients can't pay massive bills without coverage, so they often create payment plans.  I know mine fairly well, so he is really lienent.  In fact, I haven't paid a dime since I have lost coverage.  Though in most cases, the dentist will create a reasonable payment plan that you can accomplish with time.  First thing is first, take care of the tooth and then pay for your work.  And while Srs and Fss are expensive they shouldn't take the priority over your overall health.  I have had infected teeth and there is no reason to delay taking action.  It hurts like a bitch.  Don't put yourself through that.
  •  

Joanna Dark

Can't you get Medicaid thru the state? Generally, they only give it to kids and people with serious problems but you could try. They might just give you the dental. Or go to the ER. Tooth pain is horrible and you need to take care of it.I know how it causes depression. It does suck digging into transition money. I am in the same boat and don't have a good job and money is tight and I would hate to have to spend unnecessary money on things non-trans related. I have enough trouble just buying clothes. The last thing I bought was this cute top with the word "the Subterraneans" and "Jack Kerouac" on it. Oh and a pair of BDG skinny jeans. But I need shoes, specifically ballet flats, I love ballet flats, and foundation. My one foundation from Sephora is running out fast...ugh. I'm supposed to get money from Unemployment soon so my facial hair problems, makeup problems, and the whole not living with my BF problems may soon be over.

But I feel ya on the pain. I second Christine's idea to go to a dental school on the cheap. You should put a call in tomorrow.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: Joanna Dark on August 03, 2013, 05:33:14 PM
Can't you get Medicaid thru the state? Generally, they only give it to kids and people with serious problems but you could try. They might just give you the dental. Or go to the ER. Tooth pain is horrible and you need to take care of it.I know how it causes depression. It does suck digging into transition money. I am in the same boat and don't have a good job and money is tight and I would hate to have to spend unnecessary money on things non-trans related. I have enough trouble just buying clothes. The last thing I bought was this cute top with the word "the Subterraneans" and "Jack Kerouac" on it. Oh and a pair of BDG skinny jeans. But I need shoes, specifically ballet flats, I love ballet flats, and foundation. My one foundation from Sephora is running out fast...ugh. I'm supposed to get money from Unemployment soon so my facial hair problems, makeup problems, and the whole not living with my BF problems may soon be over.

But I feel ya on the pain. I second Christine's idea to go to a dental school on the cheap. You should put a call in tomorrow.

Does medicaid cover dental?  Who knows, depending on your income level you may qualify.  However, I'm pretty sure that if you have medical through your employment you cannot apply for medicaid. 
  •  

Christine167

I would not recommend going through the ED. In the end you would receive an astronomical bill for what amounts to a bandaid on the problem and when you can't pay it's possible to be tossed through the collection agency ringer thus ruining your credit and chances of a good medical loan to pay for the future FFS/SRS surgeries in the future.

Call the schools. For real it works. Yes students will be working on you but only under the direct supervision of real dentists.

I wouldn't even go to a prompt care. If you have to have pain relief that the aspirin can't solve then I recommend one of those $20 flat rate express clinics where you can be seen by a nurse practioner or a physicians assistant. One rate, one script, and I think you work at a pharmacy. Get the generic or get the pharmacist to call the NP back to work out a cheaper alternative.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: Christine167 on August 03, 2013, 05:41:18 PM
I would not recommend going through the ED. In the end you would receive an astronomical bill for what amounts to a bandaid on the problem and when you can't pay it's possible to be tossed through the collection agency ringer thus ruining your credit and chances of a good medical loan to pay for the future FFS/SRS surgeries in the future.

Call the schools. For real it works. Yes students will be working on you but only under the direct supervision of real dentists.

I wouldn't even go to a prompt care. If you have to have pain relief that the aspirin can't solve then I recommend one of those $20 flat rate express clinics where you can be seen by a nurse practioner or a physicians assistant. One rate, one script, and I think you work at a pharmacy. Get the generic or get the pharmacist to call the NP back to work out a cheaper alternative.

If by ED you mean Endodontist,  I agree.  They charge an absurd amount for normal work.  A regular dentist may be more forgiven.  I am not sure about going to schools, but that may just be a great idea. 

I think relieving the pain is your number one priority.  I have had surgery in the "special area" and that doesn't compare to dental pain.  Make sure you do something about it because it doesn't get better on it's own.  Take it from someone who has been there. 
  •  

Sybil

I don't get insurance through work, I'm part time and don't qualify. I have state insurance (Mass Health), which is pretty good except when it comes to dental. They cover preventive care (checkups, cleanings, examinations, x-rays), fillings for the front 12 teeth (in 2014 they're going to cover all of them, go figure), and extractions. I'm okay with having one tooth extracted, but multiple is a bad idea for the sake of facial symmetry and just not having a bunch of teeth on one side of the back of my mouth. That's where root canals would come in, which are not covered. For anyone curious: I didn't take care of my teeth very well growing up. I was too depressed and burying myself in a bunch of distractions, but for the past several years I've been better about it. I think it's just finally catching up with me.

I'm going to try the dental school thing. I have to figure out where to call and find out how much they ask for.

I guess I created this thread to be comforted and talk out my feelings, because I'm just really upset. I stress out over transition costs a lot. I feel tremendous pressure to try to get things done or very close before I'm 30 so that I can experience a more meaningful life while I'm yet youthful. I still appreciate that several of you made an effort to give me solutions, though; it makes me feel like some people care.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Erin Brianne

I have been to the college campus here where I live...the only thing they charge for was the supplies used to repair the affected area.    I had a root canal done and it cost me about $75 compared to hundreds at a dentist.  Keep your head up!
Live life one day at a time because tomorrow is not promised to anyone!!
  •