Started by Constance, April 18, 2011, 02:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JenJen2011

It's underrated at Susan's.
"You have one life to live so live it right"
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: wendy on October 24, 2011, 08:53:43 AM
Connie,  was there a direct correlation between older age and thinking FFS was worth while?  Did older people find FFS more satisfying?  Or is FFS a confidence booster?

If there's a direct correlation, I'm sure as hell an anomaly on the graph.  FFS is an enormous confidence booster; considering the face is the single most important cue for gendering (when you're looking at someone head-on, at least), it eliminates or greatly lessens the degree to which someone who seems to be in permanent passing limbo gets misgendered.  Also, for a lot of people struggling with hairlines, it's a good way to avoid time-consuming hair transplants.

Quote from: JenJen2011 on October 24, 2011, 08:55:45 AM

I think it's underrated pretty much everywhere.  Guys, I don't know where people get this idea that FFS is "subtle".  It's subtle like a brick in the face.  It singlehandedly erased my chances of being misgendered.  That wasn't due to small, barely perceptible facial changes.
  •  

Constance

Quote from: wendy on October 24, 2011, 08:53:43 AM
Connie,  was there a direct correlation between older age and thinking FFS was worth while?  Did older people find FFS more satisfying?  Or is FFS a confidence booster?
No, actually. I know 3 MTFs who are over 60 years old. One just had FFS within the last few years and loves the results. The other had FFS some time ago and said that the pain and recovery time weren't worth the results. The third transistioned about 15 years ago (although she's elected not to have bottom surgery) and she looks stunning.

To me, the one who had FFS longer ago actually looks a little more feminine than the one who had it more recently. The one who transitioned 15 years ago has them both beat as far as a feminine face goes.

I know another MTF who's about my age who had FFS late last year. The changes to her face were subtle changes. She never said the pain and recovery time weren't worth it.

When I was at the one and only Pacific Coast Living TG/CD Conference in summer 2010, I saw many people who'd had FFS, including models for a surgeon. Most of those models didn't look very good to me. Not that they were unattractive, but that the work looked incomplete.

There are mirrors in my home; I know what I look like. My financial resources are limited and I hate pain. I'm still early in my transition, so I've got time (in theory) before I have to make a decision. But, I'm not sure yet if I want FFS.

SandraJane

Quote from: Wonderdyke on October 24, 2011, 09:06:29 AM
If there's a direct correlation, I'm sure as hell an anomaly on the graph.  FFS is an enormous confidence booster; considering the face is the single most important cue for gendering (when you're looking at someone head-on, at least), it eliminates or greatly lessens the degree to which someone who seems to be in permanent passing limbo gets misgendered.  Also, for a lot of people struggling with hairlines, it's a good way to avoid time-consuming hair transplants.

I think it's underrated pretty much everywhere.  Guys, I don't know where people get this idea that FFS is "subtle".  It's subtle like a brick in the face.  It singlehandedly erased my chances of being misgendered.  That wasn't due to small, barely perceptible facial changes.

Yeah, can't understand the "subtle" changes thing either. I'm sold on it.

Quote from: JenJen2011 on October 24, 2011, 08:55:45 AM

I think it is nowdays, don' think some understand what it really is, not just a "Nip & Tuck". Did you get on Yahoo's FFS site yet? Let me know.
  •  

JenJen2011

Quote from: SandraJane on October 24, 2011, 09:35:34 AMDid you get on Yahoo's FFS site yet? Let me know.

Nope. Them suckers!
"You have one life to live so live it right"
  •  

Forever21Chic

Quote from: Wonderdyke on October 24, 2011, 09:06:29 AM
It's subtle like a brick in the face.

ROFL  :laugh:  I think when people say it's subtle they mean those who don't get full FFS, like people who just get one or two procedures.
  •  

Mahsa Tezani

Quote from: Rukia87xo on October 24, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

ROFL  :laugh:  I think when people say it's subtle they mean those who don't get full FFS, like people who just get one or two procedures.

My friend always said it was for people who looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger and that I shouldn't get it.

In that case, it's not subtle.
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: Rukia87xo on October 24, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

Well, sure.  I mean, technically a single procedure like that is a facial feminization surgery, though usually it refers to the battery of closely linked procedures used to feminize the face.  Even then, the results from one or two procedures can be pretty dramatic.  Genioplasty alone would have been enough to radically alter my jaw's shape.
  •  

Forever21Chic

Quote from: Wonderdyke on October 24, 2011, 04:13:16 PM
Well, sure.  I mean, technically a single procedure like that is a facial feminization surgery, though usually it refers to the battery of closely linked procedures used to feminize the face.  Even then, the results from one or two procedures can be pretty dramatic.  Genioplasty alone would have been enough to radically alter my jaw's shape.

Yeah, a friend of mine got a nose job recently and looking at her before & after pictures i still cannot tell the difference lol. I think it just comes down to the procedure.
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: Rukia87xo on October 24, 2011, 04:42:32 PM

Yeah, a friend of mine got a nose job recently and looking at her before & after pictures i still cannot tell the difference lol. I think it just comes down to the procedure.

How recently?  Noses take a looooong time to show.  Ousterhout says the nose changes for, on average, a full year, and sometimes up to 18 months.
  •  

Forever21Chic

Quote from: Wonderdyke on October 24, 2011, 04:50:27 PM
How recently?  Noses take a looooong time to show.  Ousterhout says the nose changes for, on average, a full year, and sometimes up to 18 months.

I think she's only about 3 months post-op. Wow really...a full year? lol
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: Rukia87xo on October 24, 2011, 05:03:02 PM

I think she's only about 3 months post-op. Wow really...a full year? lol

The blood supply (which is the barometer by which swelling time is measured) to cartilage, and especially the nose and ears, is kind of atrocious.  There's a reason frostbite claims these places as victims relatively easily!  :o
  •