Sex-change series on sked

Started by Brenda, May 24, 2005, 05:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenda

Sundance web links up with Logo for 'TransGeneration'

By JOHN DEMPSEY
NEW YORK -- The Sundance ChannelSundance Channel has greenlit "TransGeneration," an eight-episode original documentary series focusing on four college students who are getting sex-change operations.
"TransGeneration" illustrates Sundance Channel's commitment to taking on original programming from outside suppliers, having commissioned "Iconoclasts" on May 10, a series of six profiles of creative people, from @radical.media, in partnership with the Conde Nast Media Group and Grey Goose Entertainment.

Read More

Brenda
  •  

Svetlana

reading through that, i just can't help but think that linking gender issues with sexuality issues all the time (ie. "lgbt" etc) might not be as good an idea as it sometimes seems for support reasons.  i don't know; it just gives me a bad feeling, to see the text seeming to boast some "mr. gay" or something, and then only a bit later mentioning "deep throat" something else... well that might even have a negative impact on gays.  but imagine for us... i don't think it's going to change the minds of any people out there who take the "perverts" tack... and it might just add more people to the list.

the program probably isn't like that at all.  and it's not really like the reporting was vindictive, either.  i mean, if they've got names to say then they'll say names i guess.  still i can't help feel uneasy at it all, whosever fault it isn't.

aside from that, nice to see another trans docu up on the airwaves.
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Svetlana on May 24, 2005, 10:51:58 AM
reading through that, i just can't help but think that linking gender issues with sexuality issues all the time (ie. "lgbt" etc) might not be as good an idea as it sometimes seems for support reasons.

I always try to explain to people sex is something you do while gender is something you are.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Svetlana

Quote from: Susan on May 24, 2005, 11:33:19 AMI always try to explain to people sex is something you do while gender is something you are.

i'd never heard that before.  that's a very neat way of looking at it. :)
  •  

4years

Quote from: Susan on May 24, 2005, 11:33:19 AM
I always try to explain to people sex is something you do while gender is something you are.
I think that is the best description I've heard to date.

Quite a neat way of looking at it indeed.
  •  

michelle

I agree with Susan gender is what yu are.    Until yu figure our who yu are and have developed a strong sense of self, sex does not make sense for me in the abstract.  For me thoughts of sexual activity just muddies the water.   I have a spouse who was born a female.    We are happy and share our bodies with each other.   We are happy with each other.   For me sex only has reality  in a relationship with a real person and sex does not and will never define me ::).
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •