Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

GRS and Insurance

Started by Ms Bev, October 31, 2011, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wynternight

I called Aetna last week after reading this post and was told that individual plans do not cover GRS. The rep said some group plans might but you can't buy a private plan with GRS coverage.

Quote from: Annah on October 31, 2011, 11:59:16 PM
Here is a list I compiled last July. I know there's about 15 more companies added in the next quarter so I haven't been able to add them in yet:

Coca Cola
Campbells Soup
Walt Disney
State of Conn. Teacher Association
The Government of Louisana
HRC
Johnson and Johnson
Aetna Insurance (private plan)
AmeriHealth
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Blue Cross Blue Shield for:
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Michigan

Ameriprise Financial Inc
Avaya Inc.
Barclays Capital
Bingham McCutchen LLP
Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.
Cardinal Health Inc.
Chrysler LLC
Cisco Systems Inc.
Clifford Chance US LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Cummins Inc.Deloitte LLP
Deutsche Bank
Diageo North America
DLA Piper
E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Co. (DuPont)
Eastman Kodak Co.
Ernst & Young LLP
Exelon Corp.
Faegre & Benson LLP
Food Lion LLC
Ford Motor Co.
Fried, Frank, Haris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Genentech Inc.
General Motors Corp.
Google Inc.
Herman Miller Inc.
Intel Cigna
International Business Machines Corp. (IBM)
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Kimpton Hotel & Restaurant Group Inc.
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
KPMG LLP
Kraft Foods Inc.
Latham & Watkins LLP
Littler Mendelson PC
Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc.
McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., The
Microsoft Corp.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
Nike Inc.
Northern Trust Corp.
PG&E Corp.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Replacements Ltd.
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP
Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal LLP
Sun Microsystems Inc.
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
White & Case LLP
Yahoo! Inc.

Cigna Private plan
Emblem Health
HealthNet
Health Partners (Minnesota)
Medica

University of Pennsylvania
Penn State
Goldman Sachs
Bank of America

City and County of San Francisco
IBM
AmEx
AT&T
Wells Fargo
Eastman Kodak
Sears
Morgan Stanley
Price Waterhouse
State Farm

New York Life Insurance
Angell Palmer and Dodge Law Firm
City of Berkley

All of these have GRS/GCS/SRS included in their policies.

However, getting disability insurance (i.e., paychecks while you are out recuperating) is at the discretion of your specific company's individual Disability Carrier Contract Guidelines.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Chaos

From what i understand i have Amerihealth or whatever *was given to me due to being on disability* it stated on their booklet when i got it that it did have GRS listed but of course it must not be cosmetic in nature but medical *diagnosed through mental health*
All Thing's Come With A Price...
  •  

sarahbear

I think my insurance covers surgery so I called them to ask about a specific code, 57292(as I asked about separately), and I've confirmed this is the right code. It seems like it's covered by my insurance based on that call. I have CIGNA but my plan is privately funded. Is there any possibility that even with the call to my insurance that somehow it's not covered?

I've been waiting and whining about not having insurance covering it for 18 years now so it's hard for me to accept that my new insurance actually will cover it(outside of co-pays,etc). Oh and I work for a relatively small company so it's not big enough to be on the HRC list.
  •  

Melody Maia

I had my surgery covered by CIGNA. Ask for a case worker who can help you jump through the hoops. There are quite a few that they require.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

Kayla

Bump

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I found this thread after some google searches so that's why I ask.

I plan to begin University next fall and I'm trying to create a tentative date for SRS so that everything down the road falls into place regarding education/career. The university has an Aetna group plan that does cover SRS, 80% plus copay if it's in network/ 60% plus copay out of network. Since I'm still new to looking this stuff up, and since health insurance is a cluster-mess, how would I find an in-network doctor that performs SRS? Also what is the difference between the two (in/out-of-network)?

I would ideally like to start looking up the doctors, their procedures, and their results now as opposed to later when I'm neck deep in course work.

Thanks for any help. It really is appreciated.
  •  

Flan

Quote from: Kayla on March 07, 2013, 02:15:01 PM
Bump

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I found this thread after some google searches so that's why I ask.

I plan to begin University next fall and I'm trying to create a tentative date for SRS so that everything down the road falls into place regarding education/career. The university has an Aetna group plan that does cover SRS, 80% plus copay if it's in network/ 60% plus copay out of network. Since I'm still new to looking this stuff up, and since health insurance is a cluster-mess, how would I find an in-network doctor that performs SRS? Also what is the difference between the two (in/out-of-network)?

I would ideally like to start looking up the doctors, their procedures, and their results now as opposed to later when I'm neck deep in course work.

Thanks for any help. It really is appreciated.
This is probably the biggest problem with coverage because only a small number of surgeons accept insurance (Metzeler, Mcginn?, and one in Detroit whose name escapes me). Guessing only way to know is throw a couple emails out to either the insurance company or the surgeons if they accept Aetna.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

blueconstancy

"In-network" is an insurance term meaning basically "we negotiated preferential deals with this doctor, so it's in our best interests to steer members there." (There are more complicated technical definitions, but that's the upshot.) From where you sit, the only thing that matters is what they already told you - in-network means they pay 80% + copay, out-of-network means 60% + copay. So you have an incentive to find an in-network doctor, but they will still pay a huge chunk regardless, which is cool. (You may want to clarify whether it's limited to US doctors/surgeons; they may pay zero for someone out of the US.)

The only real way to find out whether a doctor is covered, and how, is to contact that doctor's office and ask. This is true in general, not just for surgeons. I know someone who swears Dr. Rumer in Philly takes a bunch of different insurance plans, but she had Blue Cross so I don't know offhand about Aetna. The good news is that I think these days you can email them all, so you really only have to put together a very simple query ("Do you take Aetna Plan X, and if so, do they consider you in-network for them?") and draw up a short list from whichever ones say yes and/or yes.

I am not a professional nor do I play one on the internet, but I have spent a LOT of time arguing with insurance companies. Be persistent, if the doctor says they are covered and Aetna refuses, and find out directly which precise hoops they want you to jump through.
  •  

Kayla

Quote from: Flan on March 07, 2013, 02:42:16 PM
Guessing only way to know is throw a couple emails out to either the insurance company or the surgeons if they accept Aetna.

Ah, that works. I was really hoping there was some kind of list or something I could look up on-line, but I'll manage. Thanks Blue & Flan for the help.
  •  

Mlle. Glistenburg

I work for Walmart and they expanded their "transgender" exclusions this year (which pretty much act like we are not here and have no health concerns or problems). Second, I was with Blue Cross Blue Shield and they told me that they only have limited coverage for trans* people in a company policy ( a no-go for me) and that I am unable to secure an individual policy for SRS or other related medical treatment (I was promptly dropped after changing my gender marker because it fell under the "pre-existing condition clause" and I somehow fraudulently withheld pertinent information from the insurance company). I cannot wait for the new healthcare provisions to go into effect (for 2014) because I am going to have fun with both of my employer and BCBS.
"Human beings are no longer born to their place in life, and chained down by an inexorable bond to the place they are born to, but are free to employ their faculties, and such favourable chances as offer, to achieve the lot which may appear to them most desirable."
― John Stuart Mill
  •  

mash

Hi possibly a silly question but this insurance ,isit available only for US citizens living there I live in  South Africa and I've been trying to research but I can't find any insurance that covers SrS please help thanks Mash 
  •  

michelle666

Does anyone know if when they do the healthcare reform if they will still be able to exclude us?
  •  

LordKAT

Yes, exclusions are allowed, preexisting clauses are not.
  •  

KateConnors

Yay, another company just added transgender coverage for their insurance policy: NVIDIA (my company).  Coverage goes into effect as of Jan 2014.  Now to work out which surgeons accept Cigna insurance for SRS...
  •  

Jamie D

•  

RomanHyena

I am a FtM person, can someone please tell me if Sears still covers the plan with SRS insurance, and what other companies offer it?

This is desperately important as with the new ObamaCare law I am going to be fined money I do not have and cannot afford for insurance I cannot afford, unless I find a way to get out of it.
  •  

Flan

Quote from: RomanHyena on November 15, 2013, 07:49:33 AM
I am a FtM person, can someone please tell me if Sears still covers the plan with SRS insurance, and what other companies offer it?

This is desperately important as with the new ObamaCare law I am going to be fined money I do not have and cannot afford for insurance I cannot afford, unless I find a way to get out of it.
If it's a retail position there's a good chance the medical insurance contracts they offer don't cover surgery. And for those who can't be on Medicaid (too much income or in a state that "op'ed out") there are exemptions to the corporate welfare tax https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

mooncab

BCBS of NJ says they cover GRS. (I have NJ Direct.) Does anyone have experience with them or have heard of others successfully getting coverage? - FTM or MTF - if so, please share or PM me, thanks.
  •  

teeg

I actually just spoke with someone at Anthem Blue Cross who said that under the Affordable Care Act, all pre existing conditions are covered.

That interested me, as I swore I read that under the Affordable Care Act, that which stipulates that all pre existing conditions be covered, it also stated that SRS is indeed a medical necessity?

The representative I spoke to seemed a bit hesitant to assure me that my SRS would in fact me covered, but I think they and their manager were confusing SRS with the cosmetic aspects of the whole subject. I work in a hospital where we deal with precerting in-patients all the time, so now I'm just trying to figure out that process... of getting the SRS authorized by their, "member services" department.
  •  

Flan

Quote from: teeg on December 09, 2013, 03:40:29 PM
That interested me, as I swore I read that under the Affordable Care Act, that which stipulates that all pre existing conditions be covered, it also stated that SRS is indeed a medical necessity?
ACA has nothing on transition related care specifically because insurance companies and contracts in general are still allowed to deny coverage for therapies (alleged to be cosmetic or experimental). It's AMA and WPATH that were lobbying that surgery (when recommended) is "necessary" for the well-being of the patient.
  •  

veritatemfurto

I just had a friend of mine confirm that Target now covers GRS, and secondary sexual characteristics like Breast Augmentation and possibly FFS too as part of their insurance policies.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •