Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What constitutes 'Full-Time'?

Started by Princess of Hearts, September 09, 2011, 06:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess of Hearts

What constitutes being full-time to you?    Do you have to be out and open to everyone?   What about your name and title, do you have to give a female name and title at all times and refuse to respond to anything else?      Does wearing exclusively female clothes count?   Must you always wear make-up and/or perfume?   Do you have to carry a handbag/purse?

Just now looking at a womans' clothes website it occurred to me that in some sense I could be considered full-time, and yet in some ways I really couldn't be thought of in this way.  Is full-time in the eye of the beholder?

To give you an example, I am completely and utterly out to my mother and sister with whom I live.  However, when I go out by myself, I am much more ambiguous.   I always wear my bra and panties and female jeans and socks and I often wear tights(pantyhose).  But I often wear a young man's shirt/tee-shirt and jacket.   As for make-up I wear foundation and mascara(lightly applied) but I never carry a handbag/purse.   If you saw me probably at first glance you wouldn't necessarily think that I was a girl, you would probably assume that I was male.  However, upon closer inspection(most people don't give other people more than a cursory look though which is good to remember) you might notice the style and cut of my jeans and if you were closer to me you might notice that I was wearing very subtle make-up.   People that notice this much probably think feminine gay boy rather than girl.  Some people might think of this as being full-time.    I don't know if I would want to go out by myself wearing a skirt or trying to be overtly female.  I don't want to place myself in a situation that could so easily get wildly out of my control.  I have my mother and sister's safety and peace of mind to think about as well as my own safety.   I don't want the rougher elements to get wind of me because I fear them coming to the house(like the peasants with blazing torches and pitchforks hounding Frankenstein's monster).

Phew, let's move on from that image.  In your opinion could I really only call myself full-time if I had a legal name change and only every answered to 'Miss', or 'Ms'?   At the moment I am still legally my male name(it is easy to forget this when your family call you by your female name) and occasionally I have to give my name as Mr... and answer to the title Mr... of course I try and avoid these situations if at all possible.
  •  

JungianZoe

The day I went full time was the day I went to work with full makeup (that was nothing new), conspicuously female clothing (that was only somewhat new), and told everyone to call me Zoë.  Because from that day onward, I never once looked back.
  •  

MarinaM

Different places have different rules.  It all pretty much boils down to when you are living as full time in the female role as is humanly possible (within your means).
  •  

Janet_Girl

My fulltime was by the numbers.  Name change, work information changed,  IDs changed, bank accounts changed.  Even SSA.  Began living 24/7 as a woman.  I even had a doctor's appointment under my old name and I went to it as me.
  •  

FairyGirl

I think full time begins when you take off the training wheels and dive in head first, to mix metaphors.  It doesn't necessarily mean you have to dress overtly feminine all the time or wear makeup and high heels.  I do think it means dropping the male name and only responding to the female name, whether it's legal yet or not.  Eventually it should become legal.  I also don't think it means looking up everyone you know and outing yourself, but you probably shouldn't go out of your way to hide who you are from anyone either.  This means at work too.  The very beginning of RLE is the hardest thing to get through, but as your confidence grows it gets much easier.  For me personally it was an all-or-nothing, no-holds-barred leap into the deep end of the pool without a parachute,  to mix my metaphors again lol.  Others seem to just glide into it, but whatever works best for you.

I guess the one who really decides that though would be your therapist if you are working towards a surgery letter, as they may have certain "full time" criteria they expect you to meet in order to obtain it.  Mine just took my word for it but I always made sure my appearance left no doubt as to my gender when I went for my sessions.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

MarinaM

I share with you a very recent image from my blog:

Not even my legal name, no hair removal yet either (just dermablend and vigilance). telling people what you're doing and diving head long into the fray is necessary (if it comes up).
  •  

Lisbeth

You might want to take a look at the clinical criteria section of the wiki page on RLE:

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Real_life_experience
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

eli77

I count from the day I stopped using my old name, stopped entering men-only spaces, and started entering women-only spaces. Also the same day I got my hair cut and plucked my eyebrows which took me from being gendered 75% female 25% uncertain to 100% female - so I guess I'm more of a glider. ;)

As to the other stuff... Today I wore a pair of boot-cut indigo jeans (women's), a black cami (women's, obviously), a dark grey button-up shirt (men's), and my black hi-top converse (unisex). I don't own a handbag or purse, and I didn't wear any makeup or perfume (unless you count my moisturizer). This is the normal state of affairs for me.

So, um, no to all the dressing en femme questions.

And to the last - I went full time 2 weeks before my name legally changed. But yes I'd kind of expect you to correct people who get your gender wrong. Though I've never been in that situation (thank my stars), so I'm probably the worst person to judge. Honestly, do whatever the hell feels right for you. And whatever will get you your SRS letter (assuming you want it).
  •  

Ann Onymous

perfume, makeup, handbag/purse or heels are not an absolute component...if so, then 20+ years after transitioning and ~15 or so year since surgery, I would still not be considered to be 'full-time'  Full time to me is best defined as when society in general sees you, to include identification, as female (for the M2F).  When you can fully integrate into society as the sex congruent with mental identity, to include work/school, banking, and any other component of daily life...

•  

Princess of Hearts

I know that dressing like Doris Day doesn't make you a woman.  I was just putting forth various suggestions/arguments as to what you thought was full-time.

•  

MarinaM

Quote from: Lisbeth on September 09, 2011, 09:15:13 PM
You might want to take a look at the clinical criteria section of the wiki page on RLE:

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Real_life_experience

That's some good criteria.

I use female or unisex bathrooms (depending on my confidence level), I am going to work as Emma, I handle all my legal affairs as Emma (even though legally the name is otherwise), and I don't go out of my way to present uncomfortably as male for anyone. Both Docs that have been seeing me say that's enough for RLE, and they have enough contact with me via appointments, other people, and internet that they tend not to worry about me.

Intent has quite a bit to do with it. Legally changing your name can be a hell of a task, especially if you're like me and get tripped up every time you get up the money (com-pli-cated, please don't ask). I still plan on changing my ID in a couple of weeks.
  •  

cynthialee

when you live 24/7

no more lies to anyone

when you are 100% real and honest with yourself and the world about your true self and no longer present as the birth lie
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

RhinoP

Personally, I believe that "full time" means that you've tried for a substantial time to do every single thing that YOUR emotions allow for in attempt to feel like a woman. I do not believe that "full time" should mean strictly that someone dresses like a Leave It To Beaver housewife or uses the women's bathroom all the time, because in some communities, people do not react well to an extremely obvious looking MTF using a female bathroom, or using any bathroom at all; a safe alternative is using family bathrooms that are "single", and trying to adjust your life to a Trans lifestyle instead of having to do every single little thing as a woman would. The simple truth is that in our age, things are still unsafe for people who do not physically pass well; look at the McDonald's incident.

To me, other alternatives that IMO should work just as fine are dressing in the clothing items that matter to YOU (no matter if they are male, female, or in between, or are just pieces of clothing that are not special or defining to anyone but you), and expressing your personality exactly as you feel comfortable doing. I believe entirely that "full time" is a process that encorporates hormonal transitioning and/or facial surgery, hair and make-up transformations, confidence and adjustment building, and of coarse, the traditional "act like a woman" steps that the therapists recommend. However, in this age where women are largely no longer "stereotypical", I believe that acting like a stereotypical woman is truly the least important step in transitioning in a real world way. Simply put, people will look at your face and chest before they look at how you act, studies around the world prove it.

Intense behavior therapy should be only an option if surgery and/or hormones do not work for you, or if you seriously are lacking in the behavior department (and one must ask: if you don't know how to act like a woman naturally, how do you know that you are one?). To me, the only "behavior therapy" step that should be of any importance is voice therapy, as it is a physical change and not a "behavioral/clothing" one. I don't care how many crossdressers are out there that may just have a crossdressing fetish, clothing is the least important thing in my transitioning essence, there are literally BILLIONS of women who wear male clothing every day, wether because they have a masculine personality or they simply roll out of bed in pajamas. If I was transitioning just to wear a dress or a blouse, I'd think of myself as having a pretty sad excuse.
  •  

Asfsd4214

I'll preface this by saying I hate the full time part time terminology (my existence is definitely full time and not subject to working hours).

Nevertheless, I'd say full time is when you identify as your preferred gender, to yourself and to others, at all times.
  •