News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Countdown

Started by Rebekah with a K-A-H, October 12, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Just 223 days remain...

Now that I have a definite date, time dilation's really starting to kick in and each day feels like forever.  All I keep telling myself is that once freshman year of college is over, I'll be staring down SRS right afterwards.

Another question, to give me an opportunity to plan.  Obviously I'll be laid up and recovering for a few months.  But it's going to be really boring doing absolutely nothing during that timeframe, so I've considered taking a class in physics over the summer.  After you all underwent surgery, were you in a place with regards to your physical discomfort where you could have gone to a few-hour class twice a week?  Are dilation schedules rigid and demanding to the point where it would be difficult to fit the class into it?  If any of you could chip in with your experiences, I would really appreciate that.
  •  

paulault55

I am 59 and had my surgery this past May with Dr. Mcginn, for me sitting on chairs without allot of padding was uncomfortable for any length of time even with the doughnut which will be your companion for around  8 - 10 weeks, this is one of those YMMV kind of things, everyone has a different tolerance to pain and heal at different rates, i felt good enough to go shopping almost every day three weeks after surgery, i went to a local trans meeting 5 weeks after surgery, though sitting on a sofa even with the doughnut for a couple hours was uncomfortable, i participated in a charity golf tournament 10 weeks after surgery, played 18 holes, everyone rode in carts, i pretty much stopped using the doughnut after this, 3-1/2 months i was back to bowling in my 2 winter leagues and just over 4-1/2 months i was back riding my road bike.

Taking a class twice a week is going to depend on how you feel, especially in the beginning, is the seating well padded, how long is the class, will you be seated the whole time, if needed can you get up and take a break from sitting.

Dilation schedules are not set in stone but especially in the beginning you will want to try to do the number of dilation's your surgeon recommends so you do not lose depth, if you are an hour or so early or late you should be alright, but i can tell you this, dilation will rule your life especially in the beginning, i watched old TV shows on my computer and listened to radio to help pass the time while dilating, you can read books, anything to occupy yourself.

Paula

I am a Mcginn Girl May 9 2011
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: paulault55 on October 12, 2011, 08:56:58 AM
I am 59 and had my surgery this past May with Dr. Mcginn, for me sitting on chairs without allot of padding was uncomfortable for any length of time even with the doughnut which will be your companion for around  8 - 10 weeks, this is one of those YMMV kind of things, everyone has a different tolerance to pain and heal at different rates, i felt good enough to go shopping almost every day three weeks after surgery, i went to a local trans meeting 5 weeks after surgery, though sitting on a sofa even with the doughnut for a couple hours was uncomfortable, i participated in a charity golf tournament 10 weeks after surgery, played 18 holes, everyone rode in carts, i pretty much stopped using the doughnut after this, 3-1/2 months i was back to bowling in my 2 winter leagues and just over 4-1/2 months i was back riding my road bike.

Taking a class twice a week is going to depend on how you feel, especially in the beginning, is the seating well padded, how long is the class, will you be seated the whole time, if needed can you get up and take a break from sitting.

Dilation schedules are not set in stone but especially in the beginning you will want to try to do the number of dilation's your surgeon recommends so you do not lose depth, if you are an hour or so early or late you should be alright, but i can tell you this, dilation will rule your life especially in the beginning, i watched old TV shows on my computer and listened to radio to help pass the time while dilating, you can read books, anything to occupy yourself.

Paula

Alright, that sounds great, thanks!  Considering class is going to be some combination of lecture and lab, I think I'll be able to handle it if I can get the June 29 or July 5 start dates, considering the surgery is going to be May 22.
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

178 days.  Why am I doing this?  Why am I counting down every freaking day?
  •  

eli77

Cause it's kinda a big deal, what with the invasive surgery and all. 124, I'll race you.
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: Sarah7 on November 25, 2011, 09:09:33 AM
Cause it's kinda a big deal, what with the invasive surgery and all. 124, I'll race you.

Something tells me you're going to win.  In relative terms, though, I think I've got you beat. ;)
  •  

eli77

Quote from: Wonderdyke on November 25, 2011, 10:38:39 AM
Something tells me you're going to win.  In relative terms, though, I think I've got you beat. ;)

By nearly a decade, no >-bleeped-<. :P

Are you on the cancellation list? Or are you fine with the date you've got?
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: Sarah7 on November 25, 2011, 11:39:20 AM
By nearly a decade, no >-bleeped-<. :P

Are you on the cancellation list? Or are you fine with the date you've got?

I can't actually move up by more than 5 days because I have finals until May...14th, I think?  And the consultation needs to be two days beforehand, so there's that, unfortunately.

I probably could have (had I planned ahead and decided to not do ANYTHING extracurricular) done it this December, but I'm too active on campus to be have the luxury of recovering while on campus.
  •  

Robin_p

I had surgery in June 2011. The month of June i don't remember a thing because i was sleeping and in pain a lot. I do remember trying to go out and do stuff the first month and than being exhausted for the next few days.

I thought i would be well in July and i kind of blew that month when i tried to move a table with my girlfriend. (the Doctor told me not to do that) So, i strained my muscle in my stomach and was flat on back for another 4 weeks that it took to heal.  :'(  My July was a bust.

I finally went back to work in August and it was rough.  I had to learn to dilate in the morning, then go to work. When i got off work i would go straight home and crash, totally exhausted mentally and physically.

I'm almost six month post op and things are great now and i have energy.

Good  luck to you and your countdown. I spent the last 4 months before surgery getting my pubic hair on scrotum zappped (per doctor orders).
  •  

blackMamba

Quote from: Wonderdyke on October 12, 2011, 08:03:42 PM
Considering class is going to be some combination of lecture and lab, I think I'll be able to handle it if I can get the June 29 or July 5 start dates, considering the surgery is going to be May 22.

Totally doable.  Although sitting in a chair for 2 hours will most likely be uncomfortable.  If you don't mind sitting on the donut in class, that would make it more tolerable. 
  •