Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

All Quiet on the Metroplex Front- OWS Dallas

Started by SandraJane, November 15, 2011, 10:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandraJane

All Quiet on the Metroplex Front- OWS Dallas

By SandraJane | November 15, 2011

Dallas- Its 5:10 AM CST at the corner of Canton and Akard Streets in Downtown Dallas at City Hall Park, where the Occupy Dallas protesters are encamped in over 100 tents beside City Hall. Across Canton St, WFAA,Channel 8 (ABC) is interviewing protester Dan Getz, and in the same parking lot facing City Hall Park another news crew from  TXA21, Channel 11 (CBS) , sitting in their van quietly.

I walked around the encampment borders, mindful not to walk into the camp or flash my cellphone camera too many times, and noted no movement in the camp, all was quiet here. There were no sounds of snoring, or smells of piling garbage, just a peacefulness contrary to the destruction of the OWS NYC encampment only hours before. No Police vehicles, Bulldozers or Garbage Trucks ready to invade and evict the protesters were in sight, just a calm under the clearing sky with the streets and ground still wet from last night's rain.

By this time it was 5:25, and wanting to avoid Dallas' morning "rush hour" traffic (it starts early around here, no wonder we're rated #1 for traffic congestion), I saw the gentleman who was being interviewed earlier and hoped I might get word on what is going on with the movement here. By the time I caught up with him, he was speaking with a couple of men that had just wandered out of the camp, juggling his laptop and other items on top of it, he warmly greeted me and introduced himself as Dan Getz. He promptly asked if I was with the movement and replied no that I had just come to see if the Protesters were still camped here, apparently he was unaware of what had happened in NYC earlier, and when I told him of the NYPD action he silently listened. Mr Getz informed me he had joined the movement 7 days ago , and was posting his experiences on his Blog (www.dance4One.blogspot.com), pointing to a green tent with the web address written in black marker on the side facing the street. He told me was in a hurry, needing to take a shower before an appointment he had later this morning.

As I leaving, I passed by 2 Dallas Police cars side by side about a block away, and with nothing else in my rear view mirror. At least for this morning it was quiet on the Metroplex OWS Dallas front.

Some scenes from OWS Dallas...

•  

SandraJane

WFAA.com

Some question police timing, tactics in removing Occupy Dallas

by CRAIG CIVALE, WFAA | Posted on November 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Some-question-police-timing-tactics-in-removing-Occupy-Dallas-134087333.html

DALLAS - For 43 days, they occupied Dallas, in violation of city ordinances that weren't enforced. That is, until shortly after midnight on Thursday morning.
Which for some begged the question, why now?

"There was just too much of the, first of all, violations of the house rules and going forward, [there was] the risk of more crimes occurring," said Dallas Police Chief David Brown.

"As we tore down the tents and picked up the trash last night, they were the most unsanitary conditions you can imagine," Brown said. "It really was a public health concern, increasing with trash and litter [and] with human waste."
  •  

SandraJane

Quote from: SandraJane on November 18, 2011, 05:42:24 AM

"As we tore down the tents and picked up the trash last night, they were the most unsanitary conditions you can imagine," Brown said. "It really was a public health concern, increasing with trash and litter [and] with human waste."

Quote from: SandraJane on November 15, 2011, 10:11:55 AM

There were no sounds of snoring, or smells of piling garbage, just a peacefulness contrary to the destruction of the OWS NYC encampment only hours before.

Did I miss something? Guess so.
  •