Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Natural anti-depressants

Started by niamh, October 17, 2011, 08:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niamh

A few years ago I was diagnosed with chronic depression by my family doctor. I was given the option of therapy and anti-depressants but I turned both down as I didn't want to have to explain to her that the reason I was depressed was that I was trans. At any rate I didn't want to be taking pills as I was afraid of the risks as I have had bad experiences in the past with side-affects as the result of taking meds proscribed by doctors.

I have been self-medicating with chocolate and the occasional alcohol but I really want to stop that and search for something healthier. I am not thinking supplements but rather food and I wanted to ask if any of you have been using certain foods to combat depression.

I heard that celery can help against depression. What else? I want to pump my body full of nice foods that will make me feel happy, especially as we are getting close to winter and the snows will soon be falling.
  •  

annette

I know a psychiatrist with a lot of experience in depression matters.
There are studies about moving a lot and the results are very hopefull.
The problem is that depressing persons don't want to move, they are tired.
Once you can let them move, they make endorfines and are feeling more well.

So, move your body, use your muscles, take a long walk and keep going for a few month's.
Of course anti depressants have side effects, they are mostly serotinine re entry blockers, it will help against depression but there is no medicine what works and have no side effects, it's choosing between two bad things and you have to take the less worst, so, you can try to move, it's cheap, no side effects and very natural and healthy.
Once you do the physically excercise, your head will be more empty of sorrows and you will become less fatigued.

How natural can one have?
  •  

Robert Scott

I know the sun is a great benefit....if you live in an area that gives little sun during periods of the year they recommend sun lights.

•  

niamh

Thanks Annette and Robert. Moving and light.

I have found that after a long walk I am always in better form and feel less tired. I think I should buy myself one of those special light lamps they have for people who get SAD. SAD is a big problem for me in the long winter.
  •