Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Does Buddism readily accept ts/tg?

Started by Bellaon7, October 21, 2009, 09:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellaon7

I don't practice Buddhism, but am curious as to if ts/tg are welcome.
  •  

Miniar

Buddhism doesn't concern itself really with the whole "man/woman" thing. I have no problem reconciling my buddhistic leanings with my transsexualism. I did, in the past, but then I realized I was being attached to things that were causing me suffering/disquietude. When I let go of that I found nothing that stood between me and transition on a philosophical/spiritual level.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Constance

As to whether or not TG/TS folks are welcome, that probably varies from sangha to sangha. My teacher had said to me that if being TG/TS is part of one's true nature, then to pursue that would be Zen.

LightlyLuke

I see Buddhism as suggestions for a happier life than mandates about conforming.
  •  

Riley

It really probably depends on the school of Buddhism. But in general, I think Miniar is absolutely right. Non-attachment is the key to cessation of suffering.
  •  

barbie

About 5 years ago, I once attended a buddhist lecture meeting while wearing skirt and heels, as one of my friends, who was a buddhist, invited me.  In a few weeks, I had a chance to meet him again, and he said his master still seemed to think I were a woman. He added that he asked an opinion from the master regarding my crossdressing, and the master replied like "Just mind your own business".

Buddhism does not care about right and wrong or angel and devil. They say even Satan is a buddha.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Smith

Buddism is totally different, is not only religion, that's the way of life.
In the teaching of the Buddha, the main goal is real happiness. It means the most important in this life is  how to reach the real happiness. 

No matter who you are, a man, a woman, a TG, or anyone who you are, we have the same change to get real happiness.
The Buddha said, all being live consist of 5 Skandas (5 builder element), they are: Body, Mind, Feeling, consciousness, sense.
If we are talking about human being: the body (could genetic female, genetic male, genetic male+female, genetic non-male+non-female, etc.) has 4 elements: solid (such as bone, tooth, etc.) , liquid (blood, enzim, etc.), warm (our body has warm), movement (because cell is movement).

If we could control our mind, consciousness, sense, feeling to the right thing, and do the right thing, we could reach the happiness even not real happiness.  The one who could remove and destroy the root of the fetter of the live (hate, greedy, imbecilic) in our mind, in our live, we could reach our goal, the real happiness.

So, no matter who you are, all the same. :D :D :D

Post Merge: April 22, 2010, 11:50:53 AM

About Satan is a Buddha or Buddha is Satan, it has the meaning like this;
If you know this is good, it means we have ever known the bad, so we can make a label for one thing this is good and that is bad.
If you know this is fun, it means we have ever known the sadness, so we can make a label for one thing this is fun and that is sad.
The same meaning, how could we become a Buddha if we do not know the evil thing in our mind, in our heart, that's why to become a Buddha we must meet the evil things, from this matter, we can called the Buddha is the evil and the evil is the Buddha.
Do you get it what I mean? :D :D :D

Quote from: barbie on April 18, 2010, 11:08:52 AM
About 5 years ago, I once attended a buddhist lecture meeting while wearing skirt and heels, as one of my friends, who was a buddhist, invited me.  In a few weeks, I had a chance to meet him again, and he said his master still seemed to think I were a woman. He added that he asked an opinion from the master regarding my crossdressing, and the master replied like "Just mind your own business".

Buddhism does not care about right and wrong or angel and devil. They say even Satan is a buddha.

Barbie~~
  •  

Jav

As an avid Buddhist practitioner, I'd also had a hard time for a long time reconciling my religious belief and the teachings with what I felt. I had wanted to transition for as long as the last 7 years since I'd found out it was possible, but it also felt as if I was moored in the attachment to form because that's what I am modifying, my externality. But enough was enough, after 34 years in the wrong body, I have a right to reclaim my body, and it's nothing to do with whether Buddhism teaches that one should not be attached to anything. At the end for me it was simply living the life I was meant to live karmically. And I am actually able to do my meditations more effectively post-HRT sttart. Go figure.
"I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and Non-violence are as old as the hills. All I have done is to try experiments in both on as vast a scale as I could." Mahatma Gandhi
  •  

Julie Marie

I've read a few books on Buddhism.  My doctor, with whom I am also friends, is a Buddhist.  So is his wife.  Nothing I've read has indicated Buddhists concern themselves with things transgender.  My doctor and his wife are very accepting people.  I've been to their temple, I've met many of the people, and not once did I pick up on the slightest hint they even gave a thought to me being trans. 

So I'd have to say, based on my personal experience, Buddhists readily accept ts/tg.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Jav

Julie Marie, you should read "The Tibetan Book of the Dead", there is a possible explanation why we're born the way we are (I've also posted about that in another thread). I heard that in Thailand where Buddhism's the main religion (different from what's practised in my country, Thai Buddhism being Hinayana branch whereas in Mongolia we have Mahayana), transgenderism/transsexuality are considered a bad karma. Somehow it does not make sense. Buddhism very often does not attach value judgements to things, especially not karma. And looks like transgenderism/transsexuality are really a karmic phenomenon where the biology did not have a chance to catch up to the karmic given.
"I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and Non-violence are as old as the hills. All I have done is to try experiments in both on as vast a scale as I could." Mahatma Gandhi
  •  

Constance

I should add that the sangha that had welcomed me as "David" has now also welcomed me as "Connie."

Sarah Louise

I know one woman who is of the Bahai faith who at first did not accept me.  She is a lawyer and had a seperate office at anothers lawyers office, she complained about me coming in.  Then she got to know me and never had any more problems, and even when she moved her offices, I was invited to come to the new office and do some work for her.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

chan2011

Quote from: Jav on August 11, 2011, 11:46:50 AM
Julie Marie, you should read "The Tibetan Book of the Dead", there is a possible explanation why we're born the way we are (I've also posted about that in another thread). I heard that in Thailand where Buddhism's the main religion (different from what's practised in my country, Thai Buddhism being Hinayana branch whereas in Mongolia we have Mahayana), transgenderism/transsexuality are considered a bad karma. Somehow it does not make sense. Buddhism very often does not attach value judgements to things, especially not karma. And looks like transgenderism/transsexuality are really a karmic phenomenon where the biology did not have a chance to catch up to the karmic given.

I've heard things like this too and I've considered it.
  •  

Padma

My feeling is that Buddhism doesn't bat an eyelid at transness - the problem (when there is one) is with some Buddhists, and their own prejudices dressed up as Dharma. I've encountered some of this, but mainly very straightforward acceptance of transness even though it's outside people's own experience - Buddhists tend to be good at that :).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) In theory and practice the Dharma is the Dharma and open to interpretation, however to reject a person because of their gender identity or sexual orientation can clearly be seen as 'intentionally' causing harm to them 'emotionally' ...

::) For those people who are unfamiliar with the Buddha's teachings, in a nut shell the core principle of his teachings is "DO NO HARM !" it's simple really...

::) And if a 'Buddhist' practices what the Buddha taught they are 'meant' to 'accept' things as they are and just go with the flow, and by doing so this will help to maintain harmony with what "IS"....

::) Besides like Dharma is Dharma - karma 'is' also karma, and if it's ones past karma to be born gay or transgender, a Buddhist[if following the teachings] will recognise and accept that it is this particular person's karma, and with this acknowledgement and acceptence come the responsibility to end the 'suffering' of sentient beings in whatever form this suffering may take...

::) But in saying all this Buddhism is Buddhism, it's the individual's journey of 'self' discovery[well 'non' self discovery really]...And the deeper one ventures into it[Meditation] the more one will understand the illusion that is created when one becomes too attached to ones thoughts, ideas, opinions...

::) In a nutshell Buddhism in the West is pretty open to diversity...

Hsing Yun when talking about 'homosexuality'...

"Tolerance is a form of generosity and it is a form of wisdom. There is nothing anywhere in the Dharma that should ever lead anyone to become intolerant. Our goal as Buddhists is to learn to accept all kinds of people and to help all kinds of people discover the wisdom of the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha!"
—Hsing Yun, Buddhism Pure and Simple, pp. 137–138

::) This link give more info on trans and Buddhism...

http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2009/12/transgendered-people-and-buddhism.html

Metta Zenda :)     

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •