Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

learning to curl my hair

Started by Emily Ray, December 05, 2011, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emily Ray

My hair has finally reached a point where it is long enough to give it some curls. I have thin and wavy hair naturally and I have been using a flat iron for over a year to tame its messiness. But curling iron are a different breed. It is quite a challenge to get the hair into the device and pulled to the end before twisting it up. After a week I am getting ok at doing it on my left side, but the right side is quite another matter.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to curl hair? I have thought about buying hot curlers and giving that a try.

Huggs

Emily
  •  

Lyric

Well I've always had fine and wavy  hair also. I've never used a flat iron but I have used hot curlers as well as the regular hollow plastic kind. I think iron-type devices and hot rollers were designed for people with think large shafted  hair. We fine haired folks need to treat ours quite a bit more delicately. Hot rollers are really heavy and those clips are rough on fine hair, too. I used to do a plastic roller set a couple of times a week, but in the last few years I've gotten kind of lazy and just style with a round brush after a wash + air dry (mostly) and some mousse. Still, now and then I'll do a curler set and wonder why I don't do it more often, it looks so good.

Anyway, my vote would be simple (and cheap) plastic rollers with bobby pins (I use the big ones). Don't set your hair wet, but when it's about 90% dry. I rarely leave them in for more than half and hour to an hour and never use heat on them. Avoid velcro rollers. Fine hair gets tangled up in them too easily and when you have thin hair already you can't afford to loose any more.

Lyric
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •