Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

New gender designation system

Started by HelenW, December 09, 2011, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Quote from: Cindy James on December 10, 2011, 03:30:36 AM
Petty,
but I don't like it , what is wrong with the male, female and dual male female/male symbol for Andro's  and a straight 0 for not sure or don't know?  Medical records never use M, F, etc they use the symbol.

Don't really care but you asked.

Sorry I appreciate the hard work BTW.

Cindy

'Cause there are more gender and sexual identities than that, I'm guessing.  I don't really think it's fair to lump genderqueer, androgyne and intersex (etc.) into a single category.
  •  

Arch

Okay, what if we go back to Mars for male, Venus for female. Then a tiny unicorn head for Androgyne, a fancy GQ for genderqueer, and a question mark for questioning. I'm not sure about intersex, but we could poll people or do a combined Venus-and-Mars symbol (hope that's not offensive).

I'm happy to be represented as just male rather than FTM. So back to the Mars symbol would work for me.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Pica Pica

I remember, a while ago we loosely decided to make the androgyne symbol the sun symbol.

But a tiny unicorn head pleases me immensely.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Devlyn

How about a designated Gender box where each member types in their preferred term and selects the background color themselves? For what it's worth, I like my pink F designator and would keep it that way. Hugs, Tracey
  •  

Susan Baum

Quote from: Amazon D on December 10, 2011, 03:48:35 AM
Pansexual = attracted to pans not pots  ::)

What about those of us who prefer pots to pans? 

Can we test your skillet at smething better than potable?   >:-)

I can appreciate the effort that went into this and a pink F is OK but... does anyone else here remember Pete Seeger's song "Little Boxes?"   

Susan
Aging is inevitable - growing up is optional.
  •  

Shana A

Quote from: Susan Baum on December 10, 2011, 06:23:15 PM
does anyone else here remember Pete Seeger's song "Little Boxes?"   

Susan

Great song! Written by Malvina Reynolds.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Joelene9

Gender FAIL?   :icon_burn:  I hope not.  The new icons are okay though. 
  Joelene
  •  

Amazon D

I don't like the square boxes .. are we now square?

oh yea its hip to be square  8)
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Kristin

I haven't found where to change the setting (or perhaps I don't have enough posts to set it?)

Edit (2 minutes later): And after not finding it yesterday and not finding it before posting, I find it within two minutes of posting (Profile > Forum Profile)
  •  

Emerald

Female/Feminine
Bigender
Male/Masculine
Neutrois/Null-gender
Androgyne
Intersex
Questioning
Genderqueer/Genderfluid/Genderf*ck
Crossdresser

To my mind, this rainbow covers the spectrum of gender identification and leaves no one out.
-Emerald

Androgyne.
I am not Trans-masculine, I am not Trans-feminine.
I am not Bigender, Neutrois or Genderqueer.
I am neither Cisgender nor Transgender.
I am of the 'gender' which existed before the creation of the binary genders.
  •  

Robyn

When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

•  

eli77

Ugg, still pink. I hate pink. :(

Oh well. Glad to see the system changed to be more inclusive anyway.
  •  

caseyy

I like Emerald's symbols. I also agree that we should have things like bigender included, as someone who identifies as bigender and someone who identifies as neither/a more androgynous blend experience things very differently and it means different things for them. One of our well-loved regular members (who I've seen specifically mention this, there's probably others who I don't want to feel left out) is bigender, not sure to what degree ze cares about the distinction but it should be an option.
  •  

A

*Has just spent a LOT of time on Illustrator correcting poorly done graphic work*

I'm not sure about the letter symbols. If we're going to use letters, why not just use words or plain letters instead of images? Makes less '90s HTML. And whatever you do, if you want to use those, please center them.

Perfectionist bitching aside, it's not a bad idea.
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Pica Pica on December 10, 2011, 05:56:43 PM
I remember, a while ago we loosely decided to make the androgyne symbol the sun symbol.

But a tiny unicorn head pleases me immensely.

That design is the "Tricolore Cockade" of the French Airforce!
  •  

EmmaM

I totally went queer so fast!

Ah ha! I like to gender queer things up, but I'm a total girl.
Loved.
  •  

Ferral Llama

Quote from: Padma on December 09, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
It's good to have more flexibility there.

On a related note, I visited a gender forum recently that also had an option to display the user's preferred pronouns under their avatar - I wonder if people here would find that valuable, and whether it's possible to add that into the User Profile data and display it if people wanted that facility?
sorry for answering a old thread but just wanted to say it is very possible to add an extra profile field in [to show under the avatar,or only in profile]...technicaly.
the other forum has probably hacked its own customised code or is using a forum software [such as vbulletin, phpBB, myBB etc]  which someone has designed the 'mod' for.
it doesnt require amazing code skills to hack it,just a nod in the right direction from people who know their PHP and a good coffee supply due to the concentration that a ton of code lines requires. ;D that is what had worked with mine,a phpBB forum from years ago when there were not to many 'mods'/addons available.
  •  

Kitty_Babe

I'm not totally convinced its really necessary on any board to denote what gender you are, I tend to AVOID this option in profiles. Through conversation, and your general interactions with people, many people can tell - or have a good guess if they are talking to a Woman or man. I think actually using the profile option is similar to wearing it like a badge, and its not even necessary for you to wear that badge on a forum to denote who you are, because you have nothing to prove to anyone. It just seems like labels to me and putting peoples identities in "boxes". Each to their own I suppose, if you like having "M" or "F" or which ever else in your profile though, I just think its NOT really necessary. :)
  •