Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

New gender designation system

Started by HelenW, December 09, 2011, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelenW

We have uploaded and installed an expanded method for designating gender in your profile. The new choices are:

Male
Female
Intersex
Androgyne
Queer
Questioning

Male & Female designations have not changed although symbols have replaced the words.  Those of you who identify with any of the other designations may do so by modifying their forum profile.

Many thanks to Renate for doing this bit of programming for us.

hugs & smiles
Emelye
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Padma

It's good to have more flexibility there.

On a related note, I visited a gender forum recently that also had an option to display the user's preferred pronouns under their avatar - I wonder if people here would find that valuable, and whether it's possible to add that into the User Profile data and display it if people wanted that facility?
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Padma

Is there scope for expanding the list further, say with Bigender, Neutrois?
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Flan

Quote from: Padma on December 09, 2011, 04:47:31 PM
for now no since it would make the list needlessly complicated and increase the task of making less ugly icons for gender identification
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: Padma on December 09, 2011, 04:47:31 PM

I love finally having an "M." Thanks, Renate. But I was wondering if "Queer" should be "Genderqueer"?
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

I don't, the pink F in a box is so ugly, I guess it's tolerable though. When's someone gonna come on with one of the new ones? I wanna seee. >.< I just I'll just go and keep changing mine.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on December 09, 2011, 07:32:52 PM
I don't, the pink F in a box is so ugly, I guess it's tolerable though. When's someone gonna come on with one of the new ones? I wanna seee. >.< I just I'll just go and keep changing mine.

I'm sorry you don't like the "F" symbol. But if you come up with a good alternative, maybe it will be adopted. You never know till you try.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

I just liked the old Venus symbol better.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

D:

Also like, all the new ones are just a boring white color, lolz
  •  

Flan

i'm working on replacement icons, kinda hard to do with 16 pixels height but i think they will be ok, just not sure about the genderqueer icon (pictograph instead of normal gender icons) and intersex (no ideas yet).

edit: test set attached
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

xxUltraModLadyxx

i don't really care about the symbols too much. it's just something people look at for quick reference if your gender isn't too obvious.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on December 09, 2011, 07:32:52 PM

Kia Ora Road,

::) You can always start your own petition and call it "The F off " petition  ;) ;D

::) * Oh and I can just see the placards with " 'F' OFF " in bold big print  ;D

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Rebekah with a K-A-H

Queerin' it up.  Glad to have more options.
  •  

Devlyn

I like it, thanks Renate and the rest of the Staff! Hugs, Tracey
  •  

pretty

Just wondering, why would intersexed be considered a gender?
  •  

Michelle.

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on December 09, 2011, 07:36:35 PM
I just liked the old Venus symbol better.

Second.

Let the unofficial protest movement being!

I kid.
  •  

apple pie

Hmmm I thought the old symbols looked nicer too (not that I'm using any)...
  •  

pebbles

Quote from: pretty on December 10, 2011, 02:13:29 AM
Just wondering, why would intersexed be considered a gender?
Indivduals with intersex conditions can have complicated identities some consider themselves either male/female. Others accept the term as a mark of pride others don't care about it and don't identify as either. You can't presume to know what a persons views about their bodies are.

When I first saw the new system I got abit confused and thought I had gotten a warning or somthing. And this was part of some new moderator caution system or somthing.

HEY I NO FAIL YOU FAIL MOD SCREW YOU BUDDY!! Oh wait that's my gender tag. :/
  •  

Cindy

Petty,
but I don't like it , what is wrong with the male, female and dual male female/male symbol for Andro's  and a straight 0 for not sure or don't know?  Medical records never use M, F, etc they use the symbol.

Don't really care but you asked.

Sorry I appreciate the hard work BTW.

Cindy
  •  

Amazon D

While your at it maybe make a listing for sexual preference too

Hetero = female for male or male for female
bisexual = female or male for female or male
lesbian = female for female
gay = male for male
transbian = trans attracted to trans
translesbian = trans F attracted to  lesbians
transgay = trans M attracted to males
polyamorous = attracted to anything that moves  ;)
Pansexual = attracted to pans not pots  ::)
asexual = attracted to self  >:-)
nonsexual = no one attracted to them  ;D
nun = gave up sex for the greater good  :angel:

PS: Put me down for nun  :-*  or nonsexual  ;)
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•