Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

PLP? Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

Started by pidgeontoed, December 16, 2011, 04:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidgeontoed

Ok, sorry if this is a weird, or too personal question. Just piqued my curiosity tonight and I thought this would be the best place to ask! I'm in a perception class this semester and studying for my final right now (5 AM... I know I should be more prudent!) I just watched a video on phantom limb pain and the guy mentioned that the amputation of a breast or penis could also be a cause of PLP.

Has anyone experienced this post-op? (MTF or FTM) If so, what was done about it? Again, sorry if this is too strange of a question, I'm a very inquisitive type. I can delete the topic if needed.
"Playing things too safe is a popular way to fail... dying is another way."
  •  

Re: Joyce

There are many "sparks" that occur right after surgery that I was told are the result of nerves re-connecting.  These are your first really weird feelings of things inside of you.  Over time, these go away.

The MTF surgery doesn't "cut it off", rather the nerves are re-routed and the skin used to fashion other things.

I never experienced this feeling myself.   I will say, however, that I have experienced many other wonderful sensations from all over my wonderful womanly body at odd times if I'm touched or brush myself.   I'm not talking about being touched sexually, rather just brushing against things or other accidental touching that's extremely stimulating.

Darn, women have a ton of receptors all over.  It drives me crazy at times.
  •  

Dana_H

I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. However, it seems to me that any PLP would likely be very minimal because the vast majority of the material, including nerves, remains intact; it just gets "rearranged".  In the case of an actual amputation, I suppose PLP might be more likely to occur.
Call me Dana. Call me Cait. Call me Kat. Just don't call me late for dinner.
  •  

pidgeontoed

That's what I had thought. It just struck me as odd when they mentioned that in this video... very strange.

Also, Joyce... totally jealous.
"Playing things too safe is a popular way to fail... dying is another way."
  •  

Buggy-pie

I wouldnt say phantom limb pain but certainly phantom limb thoughts.  For example, i still forget i can lie on my belly and not be squashing any of me.  Intuitively i roll and conciously remind myself that there is nothing there so my subconcious must be expecting something
  •