Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

recommendations for electric shavers

Started by natalie, November 19, 2006, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natalie

So was wandering if anyone has recommendations for electric shavers. Currently I got a nice Braun wet-dry foil type shaver.  That works "ok" on the face. But on my extremely hairy legs, it just don't work. Due to the fact my leg hair seems to grow out of the follicle at a angle almost parallel to the surface of the leg, the hairs don't even enter the cutting chamber. I could run that thing up and down my legs for hours and there still be hair.

I love how close a blade shaves, but I just can't deal with the ingrown hairs if I shaved with a razor all the time. Shaving with the gain and HUGE amounts of moisturizer seem to be the only help there.

Thanks,

Natalie
  •  

Hazumu

Well, beard hair and body hair are different, beard hair being coarser and tougher (that's just not me saying that, my electro told me this.)

I've got one of those braun shavers (don't ask me the model) where the head swivels to better contact the surface to be shaved.

I also have a ladies' electric, designed for the different texture hairs on the body.

And on top of that, I have an epilator which also came with an exfoliator attachment (basically a little sanding head that's designed to be gentle to skin.)  Using the exfoliator is good for keeping ingrowns to a minimum, as the rapid back-and-forth motion might help to keep follicles unclogged and allow the hair to find its way out.

The epilator basically yanks the hair out by the roots.  IT HURTS, no way around it.  And you're likely to experience ingrowns.  But you're smooth and stubble-free for a couple of weeks, at least.

For recommendations for a shaver, try the Consumer Reports website.  They have a review of electric shavers, though you have to pay to get in.

Karen
  •  

Refugee

Aside from HRT, I've found that the multi-blade razors work the best.  In a pinch, I used my Gillette Fusion - I just switched the blades.  I was amazed how fast it went and how smooth I was afterward.

I had this crazy thought about shaving our legs.  As much as we obsess about getting every last hair, do natal females end up as frustrated?  I was suprised to find out my mother doesn't shave above her knees.
  •  

natalie

the skin on the upper inner leg is so sensitive that shaving against the grain there always results in ingrown hairs. so i can under stand why one wouldn't want to shave above the knees. But I can't let it grow in, else I feel like a ape man :-)

natalie
  •  

Ricki

I just did this tonight the winter shaving i do not shave only trim in the summer months, wear shorts and stuff too much not that hairless is an issue but i scratch the crap out of my legs climbing and hiking...
anyway Ref you're onto something natal women get real lazy about shaving the ladies at work go weeks without shaving cause they either wear pants or whatever and can keep it covered!
I think in the leg essence its as much a pain for them as us..
the upper body stuff is a whole nother story though!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  •  

Jess

i use a scherna/babbyliss shaver, has comes with 2 heads, one titainium head for "sensitive" areas
is completely waterproof so can be used wet or dry, costs about $50 and is availible in black or pink
works great for me
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Like Karen mentioned I use a an epilator and yes IT HURTS, but It is smooth and stubble-free. They say for a couple of weeks, but for me it more like 5 or 6 days. It is getting better now that I have been using one for 8 months. Some of my hair is no longer grown back but I also still get some ingrown hair, but nothing like when I use a razor. Also I tried using Aloe after shaving because I read that it helps. For me it helped alright I got lots more ingrown hair that way.
Remember no two hairs are alike.  Ahh.... people I mean.
:) :)
Jillieann/JR

•  

brina

Hiee,

You might as well accept life on this one. I find epilating to be the most effective ie time spent vs time lasting. With epilation I can go 2 weeks without any problems and 3 before its really noticable.
Of course when I'm lazing I'll shave but then have to do that agian in another 3 or 4 days. If you do epilate make sure to do it on a regular basis as epilating long hairs REALLY HURTS BIG TIME. Its much less painful when they are short for some reason. Also if I use lotion after epilating I find that I have like a zillion pimples the next day so avoid lotions for several days afterward as well.

Byee,
  Brina
  •  

natalie

So I been experimenting. no no not THAT kind :-)

So, I found a razor that works. Even better than an electric, which I thought would solve my problems when I started this thread.

Found out that the Schick Quattro razor works really well for me. ingrowns are almost all gone and with the little wires around the blades I rarely nick myself.

*someone* recommended the Schick on another thread which I forget.
Whoever they were I'm now sending mojo good vibes right now.

natalie
  •  

Terri Gene

Hmmmm, not sure I really understand how good the electric razors are these days.  I used to use a highly recommeded electric years ago but tried out one of the new gelette razors and ended up droping the electric in the trash,  To late to see how good it would work these days though.

Terri
  •  

Sheila

I use a triple head electric and the gillette fusion (got one in the mail). I haven't finished my electrolysis, just gave up on it. My beard is very fine now and I have no dark hairs. You cannot see the hairs but you can feel them when I need to shave. So instead of finishing my electrolysis, I figured it was cheaper and painless to just shave everyday. Granted, I'm not looking for a guy here nor do I plan on having a relationship with anyone in the near or far future. My wife know who I am. As for my legs, I don't have any hair there at all. I only shave my knees and I only do that about once a month. Hormones has made my body hair very fine.
Sheila
  •  

Maud

Personally I just use a mach 3 turbo, every girl I've asked reccomends them and i have no qualms about buying a mens razor seeing as it's so common for women to use them with a light brush on my bare skin or while I'm in the shower it gets me smooth in my legs, I don't have to shave any other part of my body anymore apart from a tiny bit of facial hair which I swipe every few days with the same razor.
  •  

BrandiOK

I suggested the Schick Quattro awhile back and I'm still tickled with it.  Shaving irritation is so minimal I don't even consider it anymore.  Previously I had used the Mach 3 which is a very good razor but in my opinion the Schick Quattro is SO much better.   The men's "titanium" blades also fit the womens models (which are exactly the same as the mens except have prettier colors, I just got cute lavender color yesterday :P  ).   I would highly recommend the men's "titanium" blades for the face and the womens blades for everything else. 

Glad to hear it's working for you Natalie :)
  •  

Brooke_NY

Quote from: natalie on November 19, 2006, 01:29:03 PM
So was wandering if anyone has recommendations for electric shavers. Currently I got a nice Braun wet-dry foil type shaver.  That works "ok" on the face. But on my extremely hairy legs, it just don't work. Due to the fact my leg hair seems to grow out of the follicle at a angle almost parallel to the surface of the leg, the hairs don't even enter the cutting chamber. I could run that thing up and down my legs for hours and there still be hair.

I love how close a blade shaves, but I just can't deal with the ingrown hairs if I shaved with a razor all the time. Shaving with the gain and HUGE amounts of moisturizer seem to be the only help there.

Thanks,

Natalie

I switched to a Braun electric razor a couple years ago. I LOVE it. I actually, and unbelievably, get a smoother shave on my face than with my Mach3. My throat, however, is worse then when I used a Mach3. I really have to keep going over again and again with the electric razor.

Now, I don't know off the top of my head what model it is. But, it has a third setting on it for trimming mustache hairs. A trimmer extends out, and I have found that it is amazing to remove my leg hair if I have gone too long between shaving my legs with a disposable and the hair has gotten too long.

It removes the bulk of the leg hair really easy and then I shave it smooth the next day with my disposable.

ok, I looked it up online and it's the 360 Complete. Mine must be an earlier version of this model, cuz I don't have a neat LCD display like I just saw. What the heck do ya need an LCD display for on a shaver? A battery low LED should work fine. ::)
  •  

ChefAnnagirl

The Men's Norelco "COOL SKIN" wet/dry electric is highly effective and very comfortable. i've been using that as necessary for a year and a half now - still have a lot of areas that aren't permanently removed at the moment and this works extremely well given that it's a shaver. If you have to still use a shaver and would like to at least try a very good electric that actually works - and in the shower too - its easy to clean and lasts forever on a charge.

I don't use the lotions that you are supposed to attach to it - i just get in the shower - soap up my skin really good with Dove nutrium hypo-allergenic soap - and go to it... Have to be careful though - it IS an electric and it DOES have sharp (albeit amazingly comfortable) blades in the floating shaving heads, but it's perfect on what little fine hair is left of my chest and abdominal areas, as well as my calfs and most of my thighs. Stick to the tougher areas first until you get used to it - but it was a very worthwhile $70.00 investment from Wal-mart.

they've upgraded it a couple times since it was first introduced and it's more comfortable and tougher now than ever - it will take a great deal of abuse ( i have dropped mine a couple times while in the shower, but it still works just fine - it is truly an excellent wet/shower/bath shaver and you may be very pleasantly surprised if you actually get one.

Sincerely,

Annagirl
Level the playing field
  •