Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Resume Help

Started by mixie, December 01, 2011, 09:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmmaM

Quote from: tekla on December 11, 2011, 12:10:49 PM
I've seen it appearing in the job postings themselves in the last year and a half.  I figure if there are companies that are actually printing that out in the ads, that people who are unemployed need not bother to apply, that the number of places that are doing that unofficially is pretty widespread.

Yeah, I'm sure it is. I went through an interview (after I turned in a grammatically perfect resume, I learned) while unemployed, and the guy asks: "What have you been doing for the past few months?" I told him I was looking for full time work and was also schooling to become a field ecologist. I guess he didn't buy it. I finally wizened up and started filling in the gaps with volunteer experience.
Loved.
  •  

mixie

HEy Cindy and Tekla I forgot about this thread.  These are awesome! Thank you!
  •  

Cindy

Hi Mixie,

I thought I might just give you an update. My company is now using software for job applications that takes out most personal involvement. I read an application and I have three choice, no, maybe, yes. And that is to go to the next stage of sending them to the people who will select people for interview.

I no'd the people who applied for the wrong job ::), those who couldn't spell, those who had not updated their CV for the particular position that I was advertising.

Do push your skills forward. You have to be blatant, no matter how embarrassing it seems to be. You have to make the interview. That is the major goal of the application. Nothing else. Make it so you have to be interviewed.

In your example, I think it was yours, 'You have to be proficient in Word and Excel' Don't say yes I am. Tell them what you can do! I type at XXX words /min with a 90% accuracy. I design spread sheets and use mathematical functions in Excel for sorting and applying rules. If you have taken a course tell them. I did an advanced Excel course in 2009 at  St Bill Gate's Mansion for the unemployed.

What I'm trying to say is tell me. Tell me why you and not the next one. Tell the truth but tell it loudly.

Hope this helps.

If you want interview techniques let me know.

Hugs

Cindy
  •  

mixie

I actually gave up!  I've decided to focus on publishing another book.  I make some money from royalties and if I can put out a few others then I should be able to make the same money I was going for but doing nothing for the rest of the year!  So that's what I'm going to try. The salaries are unreal now.  I make more money working part time two nights a week (a total of 5 hours a week   8 with the commute)   than they are offering me for a full time 8 -5 job.   So I updated my site to have phone consulting and that seems to have taken off.

But the insight is invaluable I do hope you share on here.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.
  •  

Cindy

That's great.

Well done

Hugs

Cindy
  •  

Dana_H

In looking over Cindy's advice, it occurs to me that most of those points were raised in the "life skills" class that was mandatory for Seniors in my High School. It seems like much of it should be (but clearly is not) common sense. If you cannot follow directions, you are not a prime candidate. If you cannot communicate clearly (including spelling and grammar with a vocabulary appropriate to the job), you are not a prime candidate.

Moreover, in this crappy job market, there are a lot of candidates who likely have all the same skills as you, so you need to be as specific as you can as to what makes you better than them. A lot of people have typing skills, but if you type 65wpm and the next best candidate types 55wpm, that could be the fine point that throws the decision in your favor. (I have no idea what a typical professional typing speed is. I've never needed to know.)

I have also heard that regardless of the format or style you choose for your resume/CV, you should put the most recent and most relevant information early in the document. If you have a PhD, it should be listed before the BS degree, if you even list the BS degree at all. If you are after a software developer position and know C++, it should probably be listed before your knowledge of BASIC...unless the job specifically called for BASIC skills. With so many resumes to examine, the top half of the first page may be all that gets read on the first pass unless you stand out; if you can grab attention there then the rest might actually get read.

On the subject of writing skills, it holds true for would-be authors as well. As I said, my spouse and I run a fledgling small publishing company. She is our editor and handles all submissions and queries. Every now and then, she gets a query letter or book submission that is written in IM-speak or leet-speak. Those letters usually gets tossed without even being read. Her justification is that the query letter is the first example of an author's writing that she sees. If the person cannot even write a query letter using proper spelling and grammar, she has better writers to spend her time on. Even if the book itself is written in leet-speak for stylistic reasons, the letter should be written in proper English to prove that you can communicate clearly and at least understand why you are breaking with convention in your manuscript.

As my HS poetry instructor used to say, "The difference between a good poet breaking the rules and a bad poet breaking the rules is that the good poet understands why she is breaking the rules."

As another anecdote, my own manager at my current day job once received a resume that was written in crayon. He laughed and promptly tossed it in the shred box. When we asked what the joke was, he explained and commented that the person should have "had the resourcefulness to at least borrow a pen."

Finally, never show gaps in your work history. If you have been out of work for a while, think of anything relevant that you have done during that period even if you didn't get paid for it. Dress it up a little if you need to, but don't lie. If you get caught in a lie, you don't get the job. If you get caught in a lie after getting hired, you might lose the job. For computer geeks, get involved in some Open Source projects and you'll always have something you can list during your underemployed periods that shows you have been keeping your skills sharp. Volunteerism is also good. Every industry will have some sort of options like this that you can pursue.
Call me Dana. Call me Cait. Call me Kat. Just don't call me late for dinner.
  •  

tekla

(I have no idea what a typical professional typing speed is. I've never needed to know.)

A good secratary can do in the 90s to low 100s with 98-99% accuracy (accuracy being critical - CRITICAL).  Standard clerks and the like are expected to do 75WPM, again with accuracy no lower than 97%.

I can do low 70s, and if I really got my krama on high 70s, with 97-98%.

Not sure about data entry speeds, but I'd guess that somewhere on the equivalent to that 75-95 range - again with 98-99% accuracy, because it costs more to go back and fix mistakes (which can run into thousands of dollars in stuff like billing) then it is to pay for the original input.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: mixie on December 05, 2011, 04:29:24 PM

That's what is driving me nuts. Glad to know I'm not alone.   I've actually started my own business as well.  I work part time and make almost TWICE the amount of money I am being offered to work a full time job.  My part time work is at night though and I'm tired of not being home.  I'm also bored out of my mind during the day and miss the companionship of having people you see on a regular basis.

I have masters degree and four years of experience as an Academic Director for a program that educates teachers.  I am interviewing tomorrow for full time position with a very well known company with an excellent reputation.  Job title   Program Coordinator...........salary offered  30-35,000.   I am shocked.  A few years ago this kind of job would have commanded at least 70,000 a year.  Job is in midtown Manhattan.   But I figure I gotta start somewhere.

I'm trying to get into Academic Director positions for a college or University or private sector.

You might consider making customized "qualification briefs" for the jobs to which you are applying.
  •