cousin
4 (5.7%)
grandmom/grandpa
1 (1.4%)
other
15 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 62

RachelH

Everyone one in my family has accepted me, except my brother and his wife who have disowned me.... However I'm still allowed to see my nieces and nephews, so at least they are not projecting that onto their children who I've always loved and been close too. My mum has tried the hardest and has been amazing, she hopes that at some point me and my brother will reconcile our differences, but seen he's is the only one who couldn't support me I don't think I will ever forgive him, even if he does accept me.
  •  

Renee

Quote from: RachelH on June 06, 2013, 05:21:32 PM
Everyone one in my family has accepted me, except my brother and his wife who have disowned me.... However I'm still allowed to see my nieces and nephews, so at least they are not projecting that onto their children who I've always loved and been close too. My mum has tried the hardest and has been amazing, she hopes that at some point me and my brother will reconcile our differences, but seen he's is the only one who couldn't support me I don't think I will ever forgive him, even if he does accept me.
Its better to forgive if they come around. I dealt with a brother that wanted nothing to do with me and did not want me anything near his child. His wife was ok with it and actually worked on him over time to get him to accept it, their daughter actually had no issue with it, but she picked up on how her dad was and until he came around, she was skittish around me. I've visited them and even stayed a few weeks at a time afterwards and even his wife's family were ok with it. But you sometimes have to give people time, especially those close to you.
  •  

wolfduality

Though it is a little "unfair". I can say my spouse has been the most supportive. The reason I can say that? She's the only one that knows. (lol) I've been putting it off to actually tell my friends and relatives about this simply because I'm waiting to start T and/or have my name changed first. I want to actually start changing my family's mindset when they CAN'T change it or make me feel like >-bleeped-< for doing it. Once I'm on T or changed my name, they'll cave.

I know it sounds mean but my family is a lot like this. If I say something before it happens, they will be less accepting and downright rude/agressive. If it happens/it's in the process of happening, then they just shrug and deal with it. I'm sure some will just reject it or balk but that's what's bound to happen with these kind of things.
Yours truly,

Tobias.
  •  

GorJess

Meh, I don't even know how to answer this, in a good way. Basically everyone in my family knows, and the one who I didn't think was supportive, well, is. Everyone seems super accepting and more, from both parents, to both sisters, to cousins (who want to throw me a 'coming out party' this summer), you name it. I'm glad I'm that fortunate, I really am, goodness knows with how down I get I really need it.
You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. -Woodrow Wilson

With Dr. Marci Bowers in San Mateo
  •  

MeghanAndrews

They are all equally as supportive. I'm lucky to have that and am thankful every day for them.
  •  

Phoenix26

My Mom for sure.  My Dad has had a hard time with it but he still loves me, so I'm fortunate.  I've not told anyone else.  The first other will probably be my best friend and then some colleagues.
  •  

xchristine

I told my mom and it didn't really surprise her.
Or my sisters . 

They just take it as its me. ..
  •  

Kaitlin4475

Alot of my family knows in Oregon, aunt and uncle, grandma, grandpa, dad... but they are all christian and catholic so they basically thought my feelings were an abomination of christ or something and didn't want to hear them. My wife is my only but greatest support, she is so lovely and she loves the true me regardless of my plumbing :laugh:
  •  

vegie271

I had to vote other because zero acceptance from anyone and having no family in the world counts as "other" right?

•  

Arilikewoah

My parents try to avoid any pronouns or my chosen name, whereas my sister openly refers to me as her brother, Ari, to her friends and friends' families.
I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know, everything that shines ain't always gold.
  •  

Jill E

My family has been very accepting. My wife has been by far the most supportive. My dad was by far the sweetest though. After coming out to both him and my stepmom, he have me a big hug and said, "Welcome to the family, Jillian." I about cried. :)

•  

Berserk

My mom, but it's just awkward with her anyway. The only time she really uses male pronouns anymore is around my girlfriend because she knows my girlfriend has only ever known me by male pronouns and my real name. She still slips up around her though sometimes. Otherwise, it looked a while ago that she was starting to refer to me as her son to some people and sometimes using male pronouns, but now she seems to be going backwards or not really trying anymore. In some ways I feel like I just don't care anymore what she calls me as long as it's not in front of people I know/who have known me only as a guy/my real name. Even when she uses male pronouns she seems so uncomfortable with it that the whole situation just feels awkward for me as well.

But she is still the one who accepts me the most. My cousin did as well, but since he passed away she is the only one.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

My wife and daughters are all supportive, my sister and her family all know, both my parents are gone now, I did come out to my Mom before she left us....
  •  

Ryuichi13

The last time I went home, one of my brothers had talked to his 10 year old son, and fiance, and all three of them made an effort to call me by my "new" nickname of Ryu instead of my dead nickname.  They also made sure to use my proper male pronouns. 

Now my nephew calls me "Uncle Roo."  :D

Ryuichi

•  

Margrit

•