Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Trans Teens and Jobs

Started by Dante, January 22, 2012, 11:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante

So I'm going to try and get a job this summer, so I can start saving some money for college. I'm quite concerned about the whole idea.

I believe most of the businesses around here include gender identity in their list of things they won't discriminate against. It sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure if it'll actually hold up when put to the test. Also, I'm not sure if I should get a job under my birth name and sex, or my chosen name and gender. Anywhere I might work will most likely be visited by kids from my school, but I don't think I could bear wearing a name tag with my birth name on it.  :-\

I figure I have a few things working against me here; I'm a teenager, I have no previous work experience, I'm trans, and I'm physically female. It's kind of a predicament.

Anybody have any advice/stories/anything else that might help me out?

•  

Annah

Before I had my name legally changed, I had no issues with jobs that stated in their HR diversity package that they recognize gender orientation.

Ive worked for Sears, JC Penneys, and Barnes and Noble. No issues.

I even sought out a Christian Seminary for education that stated they recognized gender diversity. I had no issues with them either.

This is a packet of information from the HRC that rates hundreds of jobs. Browse through them and get an idea of who are progressive and open and who is not.

http://issuu.com/humanrightscampaign/docs/corporateequalityindex_2012
  •  

Morgan.

If they list that they don't discriminate against someone according to gender identity, then they can't (although I guess a lot of places fail to put their money where their mouth is) but it can become a legal issue if they discriminate on that basis when they claim that they don't. Perhaps if you find a place that employs on equal opportunity where you are successful in an interview/application, then you could sit down and talk about how you would be addressed by co-workers, your name tag, etc. with your employer.

It's always hard to find somewhere with no previous experience (unless you're looking at McDonalds - a good place to start, although I am not sure if this is one of the places you are referring to with the no discrimination policy against gender identity. I haven't worked there and I think we live in different countries and I'm not sure if the policies differ) but there's no harm in showing a keen interest as a potential employee. Apply, follow up on your application, etc. employers want people who are motivated.

Also, I apologize if I've rambled a little/repeated myself.. my brain doesn't seem to be working well today. ???

Half of life is f**king up, the other half is dealing with it. - Henry Rollins

•  

Annah

And to follow what Morgan stated, i know a 16 year old FTM who works at Wendys. He's had no issues other than he hates making french fries :P
  •  

Dante

Quote from: Annah on January 22, 2012, 11:58:16 PM
Before I had my name legally changed, I had no issues with jobs that stated in their HR diversity package that they recognize gender orientation.

This is a packet of information from the HRC that rates hundreds of jobs. Browse through them and get an idea of who are progressive and open and who is not.

http://issuu.com/humanrightscampaign/docs/corporateequalityindex_2012

That was very helpful, thank you!

Quote from: Morgan (138) on January 23, 2012, 12:03:30 AM
It's always hard to find somewhere with no previous experience (unless you're looking at McDonalds - a good place to start, although I am not sure if this is one of the places you are referring to with the no discrimination policy against gender identity. I haven't worked there and I think we live in different countries and I'm not sure if the policies differ) but there's no harm in showing a keen interest as a potential employee. Apply, follow up on your application, etc. employers want people who are motivated.

I live in California, U.S., in a fairly progressive area, so a lot of places around here state that they don't discriminate based on gender identity, however, I only know of one other trans teen that ever lived in my city, so it is unlikely that the businesses around here have ever been really tested on this. I am unsure if our McDonald's states they don't discriminate, but I was thinking about applying there, because they accept most people who apply.

Quote from: Annah on January 23, 2012, 12:12:02 AM
And to follow what Morgan stated, i know a 16 year old FTM who works at Wendys. He's had no issues other than he hates making french fries :P

XD That's funny! Glad to hear that, though.

•  

Morgan.

Dante, I know a lot of people who work at the local McDonalds restaurants near me. They rotate between duties while working there, whether it be taking orders at the counter, cleaning tables/emptying bins, making fries, making the burgers, taking the orders in drive-through.. all of it, most employers here will take great note of someone who has McDonalds on their resume because they know that people who work there get some great on the job training. Gotta start somewhere, huh? :)

Half of life is f**king up, the other half is dealing with it. - Henry Rollins

•  

Ayden

Most places have no issues with you using whatever name you want on your nametag. While I was working at Wal-Mart there were a few folks there that had their nicknames, middle names, and chosen names on their nametags. On the McDonald's note, I worked there as a teen. It sucked, but I had awesome co-workers. Imagine a whole bunch of teenagers laughing themselves silly over the guy in the drive-thru wearing the purple pimp suit. It was like that all the time. But, we had a couple of folks who worked there and were protected under a gender identity and orientation clause in the HR handbook.

I live in Alaska, which is sadly very conservative. So, if we have protect laws here, you should have them in California. Check the HR website or just call up the store. Also, I have heard Barnes and Noble is pretty awesome. A transwoman I know worked there for years until she moved, and she worked there from the very beginning of her transition.

If you are curious about places you are looking to get hired, check to see if they have a website that states their policies, and if not, just call them. You don't have to identify yourself at all, just say that you wanted to know what their anti-discrimination policy is. I've done it before and I have never had a manager tell me no.
  •  

Ayden

I should clarify, I actually loved working at McD's as a teen. I just didn't like a few of our regulars and they didn't like me, and people get really grumpy when they are hungry  :D. So yeah, don't let my flippant comment get to you. It only sucked when people were grumpy.
  •  

Dante

Quote from: Ayden on January 25, 2012, 06:12:44 PM
Most places have no issues with you using whatever name you want on your nametag. While I was working at Wal-Mart there were a few folks there that had their nicknames, middle names, and chosen names on their nametags. On the McDonald's note, I worked there as a teen. It sucked, but I had awesome co-workers. Imagine a whole bunch of teenagers laughing themselves silly over the guy in the drive-thru wearing the purple pimp suit. It was like that all the time. But, we had a couple of folks who worked there and were protected under a gender identity and orientation clause in the HR handbook.

I live in Alaska, which is sadly very conservative. So, if we have protect laws here, you should have them in California. Check the HR website or just call up the store. Also, I have heard Barnes and Noble is pretty awesome. A transwoman I know worked there for years until she moved, and she worked there from the very beginning of her transition.

If you are curious about places you are looking to get hired, check to see if they have a website that states their policies, and if not, just call them. You don't have to identify yourself at all, just say that you wanted to know what their anti-discrimination policy is. I've done it before and I have never had a manager tell me no.

I'm surprised to hear so many of you worked with people who were covered under the gender identity anti-discrimination policy.

Luckily, it seems like most places list their policies on their websites, eliminating the need for calling.

Quote from: Bailey's Irish on January 25, 2012, 07:09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to apply under your legal name as it is associated with your SSN and your income tax. You might have some problems if you try to otherwise. You just might want to inform them of your gender identity after during the interview or after they hire you.

Probably the best course of action.

•  

spacial

I can't offer any advice on working in your area, but I will suggest this.

Since you are taking temporary jobs, why worry about what they might think about you?

Now I'm not trying to dismiss your justifiable fear of being attacked, but think of it this way. If a job doesn't work out, leave and get another. OK, so you'll end up with a bad work record. A bad work records in your pre college days, lacking skills and life experience.

You might only get small amounts of cash here and there, but it will accumulate and has to be a load more than you'll get because you're too worried to work at all.

That's the great thing about being at your stage in life. You can basically get a clean sheet for anything you do now. In my experience, unskilled work, employers are more concerned about getting the job done than anything else.
  •  

conformer

If you live in the U.S you can check male and have no problems. As for your name, you have to put your legal name because of social security. They check to make sure that everything EXCEPT for your gender matches with your social security information.
The government stopped the process where they check to see if your gender matches your social security not too long ago. The only thing that may give you away is your birth name if it's really feminine I guess.
http://www.metroweekly.com/poliglot/2011/09/social-security-ends-gender-no.html

Dante

Quote from: conformer on February 10, 2012, 07:40:56 PM
If you live in the U.S you can check male and have no problems. As for your name, you have to put your legal name because of social security. They check to make sure that everything EXCEPT for your gender matches with your social security information.
The government stopped the process where they check to see if your gender matches your social security not too long ago. The only thing that may give you away is your birth name if it's really feminine I guess.
http://www.metroweekly.com/poliglot/2011/09/social-security-ends-gender-no.html

I heard about that, and I was really impressed. However, my birth name is really obviously feminine, so I'd have to out myself to potential employers in order to do that.

•