Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Has anyone been denied a name change? - Got my date!!

Started by thefire, February 06, 2012, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

nah, they would have to 'prove harm' which they could not do.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: thefire on February 15, 2012, 01:05:16 PM
-Bump- I got my court date already and I have another concern!

I'm still afraid of having my name change denied because I'm going from an obviously female name to a very male name. I'm also afraid of what they would consider someone to be "harmed by" your change of name. As in, since people are allowed to show up to protest it, so what happens if the couple of people who give harass me all the time come to protest it and carry on about how I'm supposed to be a girl and how it would upset them for my name to be changed. Is that a valid reason to a judge, is that someone just doesn't like the fact that you're not being who they want you to be? If they claim that they're "harmed by" my name change, or try to claim it will cause them stress and heartache or whatever line of drama they want to throw out, is that enough reason to not allow a name change?
My judge didn't ask for opinions from the people in the courtroom.  I understand anxiety can make things seem overcomplicated, but is someone really going to show up and say that about you?  And even then if you are in the US the judge is going to be wary of an investigation if he does deny it.

I was terrified too and for all the same reasons, but just take a deep breath and stay calm and it will be ok.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

thefire

Now I'm starting to worry for other reasons, such as, I haven't had surgery. I pass well, always have. But as I'm looking around for more information, I see that there very well may be a special stipulation that trans people need to have completed SRS to change their name alone? Why should that be a requirement when everyone else can change their name to hippie names, crazy names, made up names, numbers, or anything else? I honestly feel like changing my name is the first step to take, because as long as I have a feminine name, I'm treated differently because the image doesn't match what people expect to see. And I'm sorry but I absolutely refuse to try to portray myself as a feminine woman. I just can't do it. WAY too much dysphoria not to mention embarrassing. And I can't legally apply for jobs with anything but my legal name, so I feel that it's really important that people not expect to see a woman when my name is attached to something.
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Quote from: thefire on February 15, 2012, 03:30:12 PM
Now I'm starting to worry for other reasons, such as, I haven't had surgery. I pass well, always have. But as I'm looking around for more information, I see that there very well may be a special stipulation that trans people need to have completed SRS to change their name alone? Why should that be a requirement when everyone else can change their name to hippie names, crazy names, made up names, numbers, or anything else? I honestly feel like changing my name is the first step to take, because as long as I have a feminine name, I'm treated differently because the image doesn't match what people expect to see. And I'm sorry but I absolutely refuse to try to portray myself as a feminine woman. I just can't do it. WAY too much dysphoria not to mention embarrassing. And I can't legally apply for jobs with anything but my legal name, so I feel that it's really important that people not expect to see a woman when my name is attached to something.
You're really worrying too much.
There's not much more to say in response to this except you really need to calm down.
The only reason you have to go to court to change your name is because they want to make sure you're not impersonating someone or trying to evade the law in some way. I'm assuming your name will be changed at a probate court which is nothing like the courts that you're used to having portrayed on television - it usually isn't some huge complicated mess. I haven't had surgery yet either - but I am on HRT and I pass so well I wasn't even asked about my situation. My gender marker still isn't changed on my birth certificate and the judge didn't even notice it...he referred to me with male pronouns the entire time. No one else was present at my court date, but the judge and my mother - and that was because I invited her. Changing your name usually isn't a big deal and no one else other than the judge and who you invite should be present there anyway; no one even has to know about your court date except you and the court technically, so I would calm down unless you plan to go around telling people you hate when your court date is and welcome them to show up to cause you trouble. Sounds silly, doesn't it?
Meow.

•  

thefire

Well actually you do have to put a notice in the paper. But other than that, I know, I worry about a lot of things that could go wrong. It seems to be a thing with me. If I relax and take it for granted that everything will be ok is when things go terribly wrong.
  •  

Felix

Nobody reads those notices most of the time anyway. Name changes are so routine that I didn't even see a judge. I was sworn in and testified before a clerk, was told the judge would sign it and that I had a right to see him if I wanted to. I was asked one final time if I was sure and then they stamped my form and told me to hang it back on the bulletin board in the little room on the second floor.

I did get a raised eyebrow and a moment's hesitation when she read my name, but other than that there was no extra scrutiny.

This may ease some fears - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_change#United_States
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

AprilAero

well for my name change what I did was they had me do a background check with the state police, then I went to the clerks office, and they required me to show an ID, and they actually called me Mr + my last name, ( even tho I was looking very female. ) knowing I was changing to a female name,  they had me swear and then i went home and waited about a month and then they sent me a court letter saying as of this date your name is hear by changed to April [middle name] [last name] when i got that letter and read it a feeling of extreme elation and happiness rushed over me , to the point where I was actually shaking. I did not have to appear in front of a judge, I did not have to put an ad in the paper. I live in the state of virginia btw.

The only way someone would deny a name change if you changed your to the name that a famous celebrity has to avoid impersonation or confusion that that might cause.

also if you had a huge criminal record.

your absolutely fine they won't deny your name change cause to do that would cause a major backlash that would probably result in the firing of that judge. So you can relax.
Quote from: thefire on February 15, 2012, 03:30:12 PM

the thing is courts look at things black and white based on only the law, they are not gonna judge you. I have not heard of requiring that you have SRS to change your name.
  •  

Diane Elizabeth

Why worry about whether or not the people reject the name change.   The world will end December 12th anyway.  So go for all the gusto.  Buck up and toss your fears aside and get 'er done!.

Now I will shirk back into my safe little house and bolt the doors, seal all windows to keep the nasty people from finding me.  I have my own fears to deal with so don't listen to my rant. 

Just because I  am paranoid soesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
Having you blanket in the wash is like finding your psychiatrist is gone for the weekend!         Linus "Peanuts"
  •  

AprilAero

Quote from: Deidre Erin on February 19, 2012, 04:13:27 PM
   Why worry about whether or not the people reject the name change.   The world will end December 12th anyway.  So go for all the gusto.  Buck up and toss your fears aside and get 'er done!.

Now I will shirk back into my safe little house and bolt the doors, seal all windows to keep the nasty people from finding me.  I have my own fears to deal with so don't listen to my rant. 

Just because I  am paranoid soesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
what happens on December 12th , something good???

ohh you said the world will end on the 12th it will end on the 21st so they say but I doubt it will happen,
  •  

Tristan

im going for mine on the 29th. will let you know if they shot me down. :police:
  •