Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Came out to my class at college!

Started by Morgan., February 18, 2012, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgan.

I'm doing a certificate in Community Services Work this year at college and obviously, as I'm studying all aspects of cultural/social diversity, the term transgender was brought up in class discussion. So, me being the champion of awkward silences that I am, I waited for one to come up, spoke up and told the class that I am transitioning from female to male and asked them all politely if they could please use my preferred (male) pronouns from there on.

And they have. And it's awesome. :D

Half of life is f**king up, the other half is dealing with it. - Henry Rollins

•  

Devlyn

Morgan, that is excellent! I think we don't give people enough credit when it comes to accepting our identities. Just be ready to do something when the awkward silence happens! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

rachl

Congratulations, that's seriously awesome.

I'm a professor, and I sometimes teach business ethics. I've long taught gender equity issues in the workplace, and it's one of my (and my students') favourite lectures. This year I'm expanding it to spend 1.5hrs on transgender issues. I'm considering coming out to my class (only provided that I've come out to my colleagues by then, which is possible if not likely). I love having the opportunity to inform people on the issues. (We'll be taking up the "bathroom" issue and all of the terrible arguments involved. It's going to be a BLAST.)
  •  

mm

That must be a very interesting class for you.  What are your students ideas on the subject? Are they accept of the trans person in the work place?  How do they seeing the restroom issue?
  •  

rachl

Sorry, that's all future tense for the TG issues. I've taught the gender stuff, and they loved it. I'll report back on the TG stuff. That'll be around June/July.
  •  

Misato

I'm right with you Morgan, just going the other way (MTF).   I came out to my Human Computer Interaction class and am now doing a semester project that aims to help transpeople.  I'm not quite where you are on the presentation and pronoun front, though I'm sure my project will dictate that my classmates meet the real me before the semester is over.

Anyway, already I think coming out to my class is in the top 5 most momentous occasions of my life as it has been liberating in ways I never even imagined possible.  I really, truly, sincerely hope you're having as wonderful experience afterward as I am. :D
  •  

justmeinoz

I will be taking a class in Gender Studies as an elective.  Should be interesting to say the least.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Absolutely fabulous Morgan,

That's the best news all day. I'm so pleased for you. Must take a big load off your shoulders.
Keep on keeping on. You're doing a fabulous job

Lotsa huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Morgan.

Thank you for the kind words everyone :) I'm looking forward to seeing how the course goes. A lot of the girls were asking me questions and said that they're excited to see my facial hair come in. :D

•  

Lee

That's pretty cool!  Glad it went well.
Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love

A blah blog
http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,365.0.html
  •  

Constance

This is awesome, Morgan! Congratulations!

justmeinoz

I received the first dubious look in a long time today at Uni after the Orientation lecture .  I was washing my hands in the ladies, and got a "look" from a female student.  I was tempted to say something along the lines of transsexual women just being another sort of woman, but didn't bother.
Classes in Gender Studies should  be a lot of fun for someone with my twisted sense of mischief.  Also being a mature age student and 6'2" will help with any phobic remarks.  >:-)

Karen.
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Karen,

Quote from: justmeinoz on February 24, 2012, 05:27:02 AM
Classes in Gender Studies should  be a lot of fun for someone with my twisted sense of mischief.  Also being a mature age student and 6'2" will help with any phobic remarks.  >:-)
Karen.

I'd pay good money just to be a fly on the wall of your lecture room.  ;D ;D :angel:  Keep us posted of classroom management issues.   ;D

Be safe, well and happy
Lotsa huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Morgan.

•  

justmeinoz

I have just checked my Lecture times, first on is 3pm Tuesday.  Can't wait.
  •