Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

To call or write

Started by Penny Gurl, February 27, 2012, 01:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Gurl

Well here I stand, looking down the road ahead of me, the time has come to start "spreading the word" as it was, I have an endo apt in three weeks and have been trying to go over if it would be better to tell my Mom over the phone or in a letter.  It seems like if I write things down I can "control" the conversation, but I don't want to come off cold and impersonal.  I've been dreading this moment most of my life for the simple reason that I don't want to break my Mom's heart.  I'm currently in the process of ending my marriage and  for some reason  I think that news is going to be easier to break to her.  I don't want her to get overloaded with too much too soon, but I can't ... rather I don't want to have to keep this from her any longer.  So... exposition finished... What has worked better?  A phone call or letter?  Any advise is warmly welcomed.

~p~
"My dad and I used to be pretty tight. The sad truth is, my breasts have come between us."

~Angela~
My So-Called Life
  •  

rachl

I went with writing, followed afterwards by a call. I think that this was definitely the best way to go for me: it allowed my mom some time to process the information on her own before the phone call (during which she still cried pretty much non-stop...it was hard).

Since I'm an academic writer, my writing style is naturally "impersonal," so I shared the same worry that you have. But I tried to make it as personal as possible, and I think I succeeded. Just focus on having a written dialogue (even though it's all you speaking), rather than just "telling" her a bunch of things. Try to anticipate the sorts of questions she'll have at various points, and then insert your answer. Then get on to your next point, or continuing the narrative.
  •