Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Trying to get this down? lol's inside.. ;)

Started by PHXGiRL, June 22, 2012, 09:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHXGiRL

So I need some opinions girls. This is only my second time putting on make-up I wanted to know if I have the basic concept down? Keep the laughs to a minimum..   :P haha.. The first time I ever tried putting on make-up was last week and I looked like a complete disaster. No order of operation. Just looked like a train-wreck. lmfao. I think its a little better this time around though. I watched a handful of videos the last couple nights just to get the idea and order of applying. I'm going to keep practicing until I'm a ace! I plan on going full steam on my transition in the fall and get some hormones going threw my blood. My laser on my neck & face will be done in September. I have to keep my eyebrows in "male" mode for a few more months.

So yeah. How did I do? I think I need to work on eyeliner. I don't have the steadiest but just went slow. I applied foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, bronzer, blush, and mascara. I don't have any real brushes just the ones that came in the cheap-o make up kit. I need to invest in some for sure no question at all! I didn't apply any eye shadow. I would like to highlight my eyes because I think their my best facial feature. So if you have any tips?

I'd like to have a real soft light approach on my make-up.

•  

GhostTown11

Don't take this as fatty but...eyebrows eyebrows eyebrows!

You need to trim and give them a soft arch. I know some girls like the Brooke shield look but err....well that's hard to pull off if you were born male. Don't go too thin though! Use a stencil...

For makeup, shave, wash face, primer, I would use something thick but with a slight shine like matte from maybelline (and it's cheap). Then I would set it with some powder (just a lil bit) and some slight amount of light pink blush.^^
  •  

PHXGiRL

Quote from: Erin_Grey on June 22, 2012, 09:19:09 PM
Don't take this as fatty but...eyebrows eyebrows eyebrows!

I know they are bushy as heck! Dislike them strongly! lol. I can't trim them down quite yet just because I'm trying to do things slowly at work so no one takes notice.

What is primer? is that the base? then apply everything over the top?
  •  

Dana_H

Quote from: Serena Lynn on June 22, 2012, 09:46:13 PM
I know they are bushy as heck! Dislike them strongly! lol. I can't trim them down quite yet just because I'm trying to do things slowly at work so no one takes notice.

I sympathize on the eyebrows. If I let things do what they will, I have a kinda shaggy unibrow. I've learned to love the Sally Hansen wax strips and a quality pair of tweezers. :)

Primer is applied to a clean face to help prep for the foundation, which comes next. It helps reduce the effect of pores and help the foundation cling to the face. (I apply beard cover between the primer and the foundation as I am still saving for hair removal.)

One tip I was given on choosing a foundation is to look for one that matches the skin tone of your upper chest, not your face. The reason is that if your facial skin tone differs too much from your upper chest/lower neck, it can give you kind of a mask effect. If your facial tone and chest tone are similar, it will become less apparent that you have covered your face with foundation.

On that subject, can anyone recommend a foundation with a more pinkish undertone? Most foundations I've tried tend to be too much on the beige side and give me a plastic-y artificial look even if I blend to the point of nearly wiping it completely off.  I friend who works at Sephora recommended Smashbox creme foundation (tried both "fair F2" and "light L1"). I like the texture, but it seems to be one of the "too beige" variety.

But I digress...

The idea is to start with clean skin, then use primer and foundation where necessary to give your face a uniform "clean skin without makeup look" that covers the flaws and imperfections, such as pimples, unwanted birthmarks, discolorations, beard shadow, etc. Once you have your "blank canvas" face, you can move on to enhancing the cheeks, lips, eyes, etc.  Women and transwomen who are lucky enough to have "perfect" skin can get away with skipping the primer/foundation step entirely, but I am not one of them.

All in all, it looks like you are on the right track. Check women's magazines targeted at your age group for makeup tips, ask advice from your women friends, from the person at the makeup counter in your favorite department store, and above all... keep practicing.

Best of luck on your journey.  :)
Call me Dana. Call me Cait. Call me Kat. Just don't call me late for dinner.
  •  

PHXGiRL

Thank you for the pointers! Its much appreicated. I don't know what i would without this forum. I just bought some smashbox primer. I couldn't find "matte from maybelline".  I also just got real brushes. :)
  •  

Alexis

Definitely on the right track
Eyeliner was definitely the trickiest, at least for me. Practice is really the only advice I have there for getting it down, although it doesn't look like you did a bad job at all. If you want to make your eyes pop more (you have beautiful eyes btw) I'd say maybe don't line your lower eyelid/waterline, at least not with a dark color, since it makes your eyes look smaller.
Really, just keep playing and having fun ;D
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Serena Lynn on June 22, 2012, 09:46:13 PM

Try threading.  You can have the brows groomed, without being too feminine, if that is your immediate concern.

Brows don't have to be thin to be sexy and feminine

•  

BillieTex

work on you eyebrows a little at a time once a week, slow change and you will like the results
Be true to yourself, even if no one else will...
  •