Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Low Vitamin D and High Triglycerides

Started by Constance, May 02, 2012, 08:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance

So I got my latest blood work results in the mail today. My vitamin D is low (21)  and my triglycerides were high (231).

I knew I'd been overeating lately, and not eating as healthily has I should be. But according to WebMD, estrogen and diuretics (like spiro) can also contribute.

Great.

Just stepping on the scale at the endo's office had me immediately using my bike more and taking a really good look at just how awfully I'd been eating. So, I've got to clean up my diet and exercise more.

Has anyone else out there been in a similar situation? If so, what tips do you have to offer?

Jeneva

I got put on 50000 units of D (1 per week) because my last test results were low.

Of course he also wants me to stay on 2000 units always.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Connie Anne on May 02, 2012, 08:35:41 PM
So I got my latest blood work results in the mail today. My vitamin D is low (21)  and my triglycerides were high (231).

I knew I'd been overeating lately, and not eating as healthily has I should be. But according to WebMD, estrogen and diuretics (like spiro) can also contribute.

Great.

Just stepping on the scale at the endo's office had me immediately using my bike more and taking a really good look at just how awfully I'd been eating. So, I've got to clean up my diet and exercise more.

Has anyone else out there been in a similar situation? If so, what tips do you have to offer?

Consider taking an Omega-3/Omega-6 fish oil supplement, 1000 to 2000 mg/day.

Also, I have had good results with a prescription medication, gemfibrozil (Lopid), at 600 mg 2x daily.  My triglycerides were at 112 mg/dL in March, down from your levels (or higher) in the past couple of years.  The target is <150 mg/dL.

Vitamin D is less of a problem - just get a little more sun.
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: Jamie D on May 03, 2012, 02:51:06 AM
Consider taking an Omega-3/Omega-6 fish oil supplement, 1000 to 2000 mg/day.

Also, I have had good results with a prescription medication, gemfibrozil (Lopid), at 600 mg 2x daily.  My triglycerides were at 112 mg/dL in March, down from your levels (or higher) in the past couple of years.  The target is <150 mg/dL.

Vitamin D is less of a problem - just get a little more sun.
Sometimes the D isn't just needing more sun though.  I will freely admit that although we live on a farm I stay inside as much as I can ;).  However my father-in-law works outside almost all of his free time and his job keeps him outside better than half of the time and he was recently diagnosed with low D too.

Check out Puritan's Pride for cheap supplements.  We used to do a separate fish oil and flax oil, but they have a nice 3,6,and 9 combo now.  They also have a nice Calcium+Magnesium+D combo (my endo recommends all of his patients take high doses of those three).  If you catch them with a 5 for 2 deal then it isn't too bad.

Oatmeal mainly targets LDL, but since REAL oatmeal is high fiber it digests slowed and should cause less of an insulin and then triglyceride spike.  I usually eat steel cut oats for both breakfast and lunch.  Of course avoid the prepackaged stuff since it is so sugary.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Constance

This is all great feedback. Thanks, folks!

Jamie D

Quote from: Jeneva on May 03, 2012, 06:47:16 AM
Sometimes the D isn't just needing more sun though.  I will freely admit that although we live on a farm I stay inside as much as I can ;).  However my father-in-law works outside almost all of his free time and his job keeps him outside better than half of the time and he was recently diagnosed with low D too.

Check out Puritan's Pride for cheap supplements.  We used to do a separate fish oil and flax oil, but they have a nice 3,6,and 9 combo now.-/b]  They also have a nice Calcium+Magnesium+D combo (my endo recommends all of his patients take high doses of those three).  If you catch them with a 5 for 2 deal then it isn't too bad.

Oatmeal mainly targets LDL, but since REAL oatmeal is high fiber it digests slowed and should cause less of an insulin and then triglyceride spike.  I usually eat steel cut oats for both breakfast and lunch.  Of course avoid the prepackaged stuff since it is so sugary.

Yes, J, that 3-6-9 is a good supplement.  I've been reading conflicting data whether omega-9s are necessary to supplement, or whether they are adequate in a normal diet.  But for someone with cholesterol/hdl/ldl/triglyceride problems, omega 3 and 6 are very helpful.

I eat McCann's steel cut Irish Oatmeal. Takes longer to cook, but it is worth it.

•  

Jeneva

Quote from: Jamie D on May 03, 2012, 02:54:11 PM
Yes, J, that 3-6-9 is a good supplement.  I've been reading conflicting data whether omega-9s are necessary to supplement, or whether they are adequate in a normal diet.  But for someone with cholesterol/hdl/ldl/triglyceride problems, omega 3 and 6 are very helpful.

I eat McCann's steel cut Irish Oatmeal. Takes longer to cook, but it is worth it.

McCann's is good, but a bit pricey.  I buy bulk steel cut from a local store for so much cheaper.

I put it in the rice cooker at night and set the timer to be ready for breakfast.  That way it gets to soak a bit longer and it hasn't been sitting for long when I eat it.

Looks like Puritans is doing a 3 for 1 right now which is even better than their 5 for 2.  There is ALWAYS some sort of sale going on, but sometimes it is only 2 for 1.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Jamie D

I get mine at Costco (a big box store), when they have it, in the industrial size.  Of course, I don't eat it every day, so it lasts for me.

Rice cooker.  Great idea.
  •  

carol_w

Regarding low vitamin D - there's a link between that and depression, particularly if you've had cliinical depression before (which I have).  When I showed up low on D, the doctor put me on 2000 units of D3 twice daily.  I think that it's helped. 
About the triglycerides being out of whack, I was given some fish oil concentrate in a capsule called Lovaza. 

•  

Constance

I honestly don't know how to answer the question about depression. I don't think I'm actually depressed these days. I have ups and downs (some real downs). But I don't think that what I'm experiencing now is clinical depression.

But, it's something to think about.

Jeneva

Quote from: Jamie D on May 03, 2012, 09:30:49 PM
I get mine at Costco (a big box store), when they have it, in the industrial size.  Of course, I don't eat it every day, so it lasts for me.

Rice cooker.  Great idea.
If you have different settings use the porridge one.  I'm not sure how it would turn out if it were cooked as rice.  It is definitely worth a try though because it does take a while to cook otherwise.  I use one of the induction Zojirushi models.

Alton Brown would be ashamed of me, but I actually LIKE specialized cooking gear.  Since I cook most of the special from scratch meals and I'm in charge of the financial stuff, somehow we always have money for whatever new kitchen gadget I'm drooling over.  >:-)
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: Carol on May 03, 2012, 09:55:40 PM
Regarding low vitamin D - there's a link between that and depression, particularly if you've had cliinical depression before (which I have).  When I showed up low on D, the doctor put me on 2000 units of D3 twice daily.  I think that it's helped. 
About the triglycerides being out of whack, I was given some fish oil concentrate in a capsule called Lovaza.
Part of the reason I took my Endo's advice about D was because I saw the same things and I have had depression and anxiety problems before.  I'm hoping between losing the finasteride and getting enough D that I can talk them into letting me slowly ween off paroxitine.   She wasn't really willing to talk about reducing it until I've been on stable HRT for a few months.  Ironically the new endo didn't change it either so that meant that I had been on the same doses for around a year (lower E does before that), but now with no T production she wants me to wait until the next appointment in two months to talk about it.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

aibeecee

I was diagnosed with low Vitamin D in the first year I started with hormones. My endocrinologist prescribed me an over-the-counter Vitamin D/Calcium supplement which I still use today (about six years after).

After a year and ever since my Vitamin D levels are within normal range.

•