Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Swedish Fish

Started by Jamie D, April 21, 2012, 12:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Okay, so I got a bag of assorted Swedish Fish at the pharmacy, when I was picking up my prescriptions.

So the Orange-colored ones taste like orange (duh!).  Green tastes like lime, sort of.  Yellow tastes like citrus, maybe citron or grapefruit, but not lemon.

But what is Red?  To me it is an odd berry flavor.  Definitely not cherry or strawberry.

The flavors don't quite fit with the colors.  It's driving me crazy.
  •  

Sephirah

I really have nothing better to do, lol.

QuoteSwedish fish are most commonly found in specialty candy stores in which they can be bought by the ounce. A recent resurgence in popularity has resulted in greater accessibility in supermarkets and convenience stores where they are often sold in packaged plastic bags.

Originally colored red with a flavor unique to the candy (often guessed to be lingonberry, but never verified), they are now also available in several different colors, such as Orange & Lemon-Lime. Purple Swedish Fish in grape flavor were discontinued in 2006. The fish come in two different sizes. Initially, the smaller fish came only in red; now fish of both sizes are available in all flavors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Sephirah on April 21, 2012, 12:37:46 AM
I really have nothing better to do, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish

We must all do our own taste tests!  No wikiing allowed.  >:(
  •  

Sephirah

They aren't sold where I live, lol.

Before you posted this thread, the only Swedish fish I'd ever heard of is Surstromming, which is fermented herrings, and recently got banned on some airlines, and Gravlax.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Sephirah on April 21, 2012, 01:37:02 AM

Before you posted this thread, the only Swedish fish I'd ever heard of is Surstromming, which is fermented herrings, and recently got banned on some airlines, and Gravlax.

From previous posts I reckon Jamie would have uses for Surstromming. :laugh:
  •  

lecoeurdegrey

I live them my local deli sells packs of them! I swear swedish fish compromised the majority of my diet as a little kid :laugh:
  •  

spacial

Sort of large wine gums.

Really nice when your mouth is dry and tastes of what isn't mentioned in rude company.

The last time I had one that big though, I seem to recall swallowing most of it before I could get a really good chew. Though taking smaller bites might be a good idea, especially if you don't want to be continually handing them around.

The names had me going for a sec.
  •  

Devlyn

Sears used to sell them by the pound when I was young, just the red ones. That was well back in the last century though! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Sephirah on April 21, 2012, 01:37:02 AM

I have not had Surstromming before, but I have tasted "lutefisk", which is ... well ...an acquired taste.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 21, 2012, 06:22:36 AM
Sears used to sell them by the pound when I was young, just the red ones. That was well back in the last century though! Hugs, Devlyn

1700's or 1800's ??
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Cindy James on April 21, 2012, 02:01:59 AM
From previous posts I reckon Jamie would have uses for Surstromming. :laugh:

Nice new avatar!
  •  

V M

I loved Swedish Fish when I was young  :)  Those and Gummi Bears
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Devlyn

"1700s or 1800s?" Ouch! Does that come in a branding iron? Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 21, 2012, 03:15:03 PM
"1700s or 1800s?" Ouch! Does that come in a branding iron? Hugs, Devlyn

I can only get away with that smack cuz I'm older than you!  ;)
  •  

Devlyn

And 'cuz it's funny as hell! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't mind being the butt of a joke, what I hate is this joke of a butt! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

aleon515

I have to find some to do this experiment. If it were lingonberry I would most definitely know. (Ok, maybe not, some of these artificial colors don't really taste like what they are supposed to be.) One of my favorite breakfasts: Swedish pancakes with lingonberries.

Someone said "wine grapes". That might be close. They are very tart and a bit on the cranberry side (related to them).

--Jay Jay
  •