Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Starting transition in your thirties

Started by luridream, May 05, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luridream

I feel like a lot of guys are transitioning now in their teens and twenties. Are there any guys here who didn't start until their thirties or are currently in their thirties and beginning to transition? I feel like it's a different experience and I'd like to hear from others who are in a similar position.

Some questions/discussion ideas:

Do you feel jealous of the guys who started earlier? Or have you made your peace with the fact that this is how your life was meant to be lived? (Or do you vacillate between the two?) Do you think there are some aspects of transitioning that are easier when you start out a bit older and (hopefully) wiser? Was there anything specific that prevented you from transitioning earlier or did you just not even consider it a possibility?
  •  

Christopher_Marius

I've only just turned 26 and haven't even begun to get therapy yet, so things like T and top surgery are way down the line for me as of this point. But then, I can pretty easily pass when I don't have to talk, but if I introduce myself by my male name (like to a new person at college or something) they pretty much just file me away as a dude w/ a high voice.

I am sure that once I start hormones, if I ever do, I'll be quite dashing and very happy.

I do wish that I had known about transgenderism and GID when I was young, and just felt completely hopeless being stuck forever in a girl body. But I just didn't know that gender transition was possible back then, I didn't really know about other TG people, or what TG meant, or anything really other than my parents were utterly, completely terrified that I was a homosexual and that they really didn't want me to be "like that".......

But then, there's no changing the past, and no sense in looking at others. One must make do with what is, and honestly in my case I usually find myself thinking "it could be worse".
Never put off until tomorrow what you could get out of doing altogether.

"They're only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth. Even if it's an unpleasant truth."  -George Carlin
  •  

Natkat

even for me being young transgender in my teens, I still jelouse of those who could transition earlyer..
I wanted to transition before I turned 18 where I already har well seached the topic, but it simply wasnt a posibilaty for me and for many people.
----
I know many transgenders up in there years 50 and so,
I know where its difficult here to transition very young it was then all imposible and I got told people could be arrested for wearing a dress.
genderroles where just diffrent viewed and way more stick.

I guess late transition always is a part of, when we are ready, but also alot on how its posible in our current situation.
  •  

fatalerror

Quote from: landon_marius on May 05, 2012, 04:26:38 PMBut then, there's no changing the past, and no sense in looking at others. One must make do with what is, and honestly in my case I usually find myself thinking "it could be worse".

This is the best way I have found to cope with the fact that I am 25, stuck at home since I'm jobless, and thus unable to transition due to my family's intolerance. I hope by 30 I've started, god I hope by the end of this year I've started. But wishing you could have transitioned younger sadly won't do a lot of good, so it's best to keep your head up and work with what you have. :)
  •  

Dominick_81

Quote from: luridream on May 05, 2012, 12:29:59 PM
I feel like a lot of guys are transitioning now in their teens and twenties. Are there any guys here who didn't start until their thirties or are currently in their thirties and beginning to transition? I feel like it's a different experience and I'd like to hear from others who are in a similar position.

Some questions/discussion ideas:

Do you feel jealous of the guys who started earlier? Or have you made your peace with the fact that this is how your life was meant to be lived? (Or do you vacillate between the two?) Do you think there are some aspects of transitioning that are easier when you start out a bit older and (hopefully) wiser? Was there anything specific that prevented you from transitioning earlier or did you just not even consider it a possibility?

I'm 30. I started T a little over a year ago. Sometimes I felt jealous b/c I wanted so badly to look and pass as male like them. though T still hasn't worked for me yet after a year so I'm jealous of the people who look male after only a few months on T. I feel like I'm just starting T or not even on it.

I think if I had started T in my early 20's, I'd be probably be bald now and I couldn't deal with being bald so young. Even now, I don't know how I'm gonna deal with being bald when and if it happens. I know I'm gonna get a wig, but it's still gonna bother the hell out of me.

I think when I started T it was the right time for me. Transitioning in Jr. high or high school wouldn't have worked out. Kids at that age are extremely mean and transition at that time would just be another thing for kids to pick on me in school. But during my jr. and high school years I was in extreme denial, I refused to believe I was trans which was a good thing b/c it made it easier to get though school, not believing I wanted to be a boy. Though, at one point when I was in grade school I wanted to be a boy but when kids started picking on me about it that's when I put myself in denial, I didn't want to get picked on so I lived in denial for 20 something years.

•  

Kreuzfidel

I'm 33 and just started T four months ago.  I do get envious with younger guys having access to surgery/hormones - wish I could have when I was their age.  I am thankful that I'm older for the reason that I have my priorities in order.
  •  

michelle1732

"I feel like a lot of guys are transitioning now "  guys ???? you might want to rethink your path. Dont jump into this without some help.  You need to ask yourself some very tuff questions. Are you willing to lose everyone you have ever know ?? are you willing to get clocked ever day for the rest of your life? Will you ever be passable---really ??? Have you even thought about dating in the future and spillin the beans every time you find a guy you like ??   What about your Job ?? how about going to the doctor. Just a few things that I have lived with since my change 20+ years ago. think long and hard. this will be the the hardest thing you will ever do. I had my surgery at 32 in 1992
Michelle
  •  

Arch

No, I didn't transition till my forties.

And I don't think anyone can assume that younger transitioners aren't thinking things through...some are and some aren't. No way for someone else to really know.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Arch

Quote from: michelle1732 on May 06, 2012, 08:21:50 PM
"I feel like a lot of guys are transitioning now "  guys ???? you might want to rethink your path. Dont jump into this without some help.  You need to ask yourself some very tuff questions. Are you willing to lose everyone you have ever know ?? are you willing to get clocked ever day for the rest of your life? Will you ever be passable---really ??? Have you even thought about dating in the future and spillin the beans every time you find a guy you like ??   What about your Job ?? how about going to the doctor. Just a few things that I have lived with since my change 20+ years ago. think long and hard. this will be the the hardest thing you will ever do. I had my surgery at 32 in 1992
Michelle

I'm really not sure what you're getting at in this post...but you might want to rethink it.

•  

Arch

guys ????

Yes, guys...are you looking for the MTF forums, perhaps?

you might want to rethink your path. Dont jump into this without some help.  You need to ask yourself some very tuff questions. Are you willing to lose everyone you have ever know ??

I think just about everyone asks questions like these. Not many just jump into transition.

are you willing to get clocked ever day for the rest of your life? Will you ever be passable---really ???

This is rarely a problem for the guys...

Have you even thought about dating in the future and spillin the beans every time you find a guy you like ??   

This is rather a broad assumption. We're not all into men.

•  

ozoozol

I started T at 32, had top surgery at 33, and I don't really feel a sense of regret about not starting earlier.  It's not something I think about.  I'm sure some things would have been different, but I'm not dissatisfied with my life or how I got here, and I'm comfortable now, so it's all good.
  •  

Miniar

I started transition when I was "ready"...
That's the only way I can look at it really.
Before I could transition I had to look at myself, figure myself out, realize what I wanted, want it enough, find support/acceptance in myself, become mentally and emotionally prepared to face the challenges of transition, etc, etc, etc... Something we all have to do, I just didn't get it all done until I was in my late twenties.

Couldn't start any sooner because I wasn't "ready" and nothing could have made me be the right man at the right time to get started any sooner than that.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Robert Scott

I started transitioning this year ... and I am forty.  Actually, I began therapy and such when I was 39 ...but didn't start T until I was forty.  I have been on T for about four months ... I wish I had started earlier but it is what it is and I am glad that I have started.  I will at least live the rest of my life as my true self. 
  •