Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Help finding a therapist in Iowa

Started by Clarity, July 26, 2012, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarity

I'm currently in the process of trying to get therapy sessions set up, but I seem to have run into a brick wall. I'm looking right now at hopefully being able to use my health insurance as a way to help afford this. I got a contact last night for a therapist, but unfortunately they don't accept policies from my insurance provider. The receptionist mentioned that maybe I could see someone else at the same location, but they wouldn't be as specialized in gender identity issues as the one that I was recommended. Is it okay to see someone else that doesn't have much experience in these issues or do I want to try another place for counseling?

Also, is there any way to negotiate insurance? I only talked to a receptionist over the phone but am wondering if by contacting the actual therapist I could get them to make an exception for my case. I must admit that I'm still very new at working with insurance companies so any advice on that front would be very beneficial.

I guess my other bet is to look for any possible therapists in my area and try all of them until I find something I can afford either by insurance or on a sliding payment basis. Does anybody have contact for counselors in the Des Moines, IA area that work well with gender identity issues?

delia_dunno

Dr Donald Kaesser of Central Iowa Psychological Services. Don's office line is 515 222 1999. His bio is here: http://www.iowacounseling.com/don.htm

You might have to copy and paste that URL to make it work. A large portion of Don's client base is in transition. He's a character but very effective.
  •