Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

United Pentecostal Church and Transsexuality

Started by Hazumu, November 21, 2006, 09:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazumu

Someone I work with is a member of the United Pentecostal Church.

What are that church's teachings about transsexuality?  If this person never met a transsexual person in their life, what would their church teach is the prober way to classify/behave towards a transsexual?

Thank you for your guidance;

Karen
  •  

Suzy

First, in general, the United Pentecostals are a very harsh bunch.  To them salvation is a very difficult thing to achieve, and harder to hold onto.  They subscribe to some really non-orthodox teachings about the trinity, often called "oneness."  More about that only if you are interested.

In order to be saved one must also speak in tongues.  They take this teaching from a twisting of Acts 2:38.  They also believe that their men and women must look a certain way (though some are changing on this).  In general, women must wear dresses at all times.  This, as you can imagine, causes some interesting clothing at places like swimming pools and ski resorts.  They also do not believe a woman should cut her hair.  So you see a lot of their women wearing their hair in buns because it has grown so long.  They wear nothing revealing either and no makeup.  Men, on the other hand, must not wear anything remotely approaching long hair.  Some groups I know of actually have all of their men part their hair a certain way.  Again, there are some local exceptions, but this is their official teaching.

Being any variety of transsexual would be an invitation to go directly to hell, do not pass go or collect $200.  I could only hope that your co-worker, though a member, would be more open minded and realized that Jesus taught about love and things way more important than any of their legalism.  After all, Jesus spent a lot of time with people who were outcasts in society and who needed some good news.

Hope this helps.

Kristi
  •  

Tiffany Elise

Karen;
  I came out of the United Penteostal Church International. I was deemed a heretic because I allowed my daughter to wear pants and drop out of school to get married. I was further deemed a heretic because I did not agree with their oneness doctrine.
  They are a very works-oriented group and most sermons do indeed revolve around Acts 2:38. They are quick to judge others by a law they do not understand. They are very quick to shun.
  They do believe in keeping their women under their thumb and men ruling the household. Women are to wear long dresses and men may not have beards nor long hair and speak from behind the pulpit.
  They will regret honouring their clothesline doctrine above the word of God when they stand before Christ who is listed in Revelation as being girt to the foot in white. (robe)
  They have no answer when they are told that Boaz and Aaron are both listed as wearing skirts.
  It is sad that they do not understand the very law that they use to judge and shun others.
  Good luck sweetie. You probably stand little luck being accepted by one.

Tiff
Posted on: November 21, 2006, 10:38:35 PM
Karen;
  As an afterthought, I would like to answer your question more directly. I do not wish to act like a know-it-all hon; but I have a very close relative that is a Penteostal preacher.
  In reference to what you can expect in the way they are taught I must say Kristi is accurate.
  Another thing is that since they believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost and evidence of speaking in tongues many think they have greater knowledge than others and deem themselves as being like unto a super-Christian in their own mind.
  Every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes into the church is called to be a preacher even though common sense tells us that would leave nobody on the pew to hear the sermons.
  Enough of getting sidetracked though.
  With the tongues and the references to being Spirit-filled they are quick to judge and if the truth be known they probably consider transsexuals to be demon possessed people that have rejected God. Those who came out of a church are probably considered to be those in whom the unclean spirit came back seven-fold and are now demon possessed as well.
  They may not say it to your face but don't be surprised if they shun you.
  On the lighter side some may try to convert you as that would be a great feather in their cap.
  I hope this sheds some light on your question.

Tiff
  •  

heatherrose

Karen,
From my experience in a pentecostal church and as a minister to the unwashed.......
I have personally known of a tg girl who was not phyically or verbally abused but DEFINITELY NOT accepted.
The GG's of that particular faith are "scripturally" forbidden from wearing make-up and or any other adornments. Imagine the uproar if a GB chose to dabble with a little eyeliner.
Sis, if this individual at work has taken an interest in you, trust me it is not because they except you, it is to get you into the fold and force the demons out of you.
As a trans(fill in the blank) you are considered to have,
if not one, several, perhaps leigon unclean spirits inhabiting your temple.
You are an individual and so are they, if this is a path you choose to investigate, fine but be forewarned.

P.S. In their faith, they believe that everyone is going to heaven, as long as they are PENTECOSTALS who have worked hard enough to deserve it.

Always Love,
Heather Rose
"I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?" - Fred Rogers
  •  

Tiffany Elise

Karen;

Heatherrose is right and I have seen things in church to where I would be very hesitant to ever tell anyone to visit.
  They are very quick to judge "their own" so they will not hesitate to belittle visitors after 1 or 2 visits show that you are hopeless in  their eyes.
  The first message may go fairly well but you can bet a second will be pinpointed at you. Probably a fire-and-brimstone message to scare you.
  Of course they will try to usher you down front at the end of the service so all of the flock can "lay hands on you" and pray.
  If the demons don't leave the next service will probably have a sermon designed to see to it you don't come back. After that someone is bound to use you for the topic of a sermon in the future after you're gone. It will be designed to scare the flock into staying submissive and of course you will never know about it.
  The end result is that you will get hurt if you're not strong in your beliefs and your pain and humiliation will be used so they can glory in your flesh and feel stronger and holier.

Tiff
  •  

heatherrose

Karen,
While the median income of the flock may be about $25,000 a year,
the full time pastor drives a new Lincoln every two years.

"Mussle not the ox that treadeth out the corn."
the ox grows fat and the flock scrapes to feed it.

I have seen a "Pastor" screaming at the top of his lungs,
at a single flock member, for calling a girl without asking his permission.

At the particular "church" that I attended,
when I meet the bishop "Pastor L.R.Davis",
he hugged me and pinched my butt. I was young and neive, I let it pass.
Before I left the "church" they were lamenting the fact
that the demons had caused all these young boys to lie,
saying that their beloved bishop had fondled them
and caused him to be thrown into Joliet pison.

Always Love,
Heather Rose

Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
  •  

Cindi Jones

Karen, if it ever comes up...

Tell her that you only need work together and that doesn't require a coming together of minds where religious beliefs are concerned.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Hazumu

Thank you all!

I have been forewarned and am now forearmed.  This is exactly what I was looking for!

Karen

P.S., if anybody else can describe a tactic that might be used, or a viewpoint that is held, please post it here for the benefit of all.
  •  

heatherrose

Karen,
Watch this individual closely,
as it is said "Keep your friends close
but your enemies closer".
Watch yourself, some sects and
offshoots of Penticostalism,
can put radical Islamists to shame,
in terms of their fanatisism.

Always Love,
Heather Rose

Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
  •  

Hazumu

Thank you all, for your advice and warnings.  Before I put this topic to rest, I have to try for balance.  I ask the following:

Can you please tell me the good things about Pentecostals?  What do they do that is good?  Is their general condemnation of transsexuality as sin balanced in any way by displays of compassion towards those so 'afflicted'?  Do they 'hate the sin but love the sinner'?

Karen
  •  

Tiffany Elise

Karen;
  The trinity Pentecostals aren't as bad as the oneness as far as slamming people. I deemed evry church I attended and was thrown out of as a neccessary step in in building my faith.
  The Pentecostals do believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues which is scripturally sound. For that I am thankful.
  Watch out for those who think speaking in tongues makes them some super-Christian. You can plainly tell them by their arogance and condemnation. Many appear to lose the fear of God and do become worse than some of the radical exremeists.
  I think Cindi and Heather Rose gave the best advice. Don't lower yourself to being hateful but be cautious.
  While I can only speak for myself, I found the Pentecostal church a neccessary step for me that was for a time and season and is one that I am cautious about now.
  Take care and be cautious.
  Tiff
  •  

Kellsie

I am not going to jump on this train, however heed many of their warnings as a lot of their docyrine is Bible based, they do not use history at all.  I have been a member before and muvh of what folks have said is true.  Find the truth for yourself.
Smile, everyone will wonder what you are up to.
  •