Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I really went and did it this time

Started by Jamie D, June 03, 2012, 04:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

After receiving a thoroughly enjoyable tongue-lashing from "Aunty Cindy," I met the Meat Pie Floater challenge Saturday night.

I will admit, I did not actually make the Pie Floaters.  It is more like I assembled them.  Nevertheless, I had a taste of Australia, and I didn't even gag.

Here's how I did it:

Saturday I purchased at the local grocery a can of Andersen's Split Pea Soup with  Bacon.  "Pea Soup Andersen's" is a restaurant in Buellton, California.  It is near the old Danish settlement of Solvang, and has been a popular stop along Highway 101 for decades.  I love their soup - it is much better than anything I could make from scratch.

Then, later, I went to my local "Marie Callender's" restaurant, which is the best place to buy dessert pies, but a nice place to dine as well, and purchased two "Heartland Chicken Pot Pies."  It has been a staple on the Marie Callender's menu for over 60 years.

The Heartland pies are made with diced chicken breast, peas, carrots, onions, celery and a white chicken gravy, in their famous crust  The recipe can be found HERE.

Arriving home with the hot pies, and the soup warmed on the stove, I inverted the pies (about 6 inches/15 cm in diameter) into large bowls and poured the soup around the edges.  We both passed on the ketchup (tomato sauce) and malt vinegar.  We did, however, pair the pies with a chilled Kenwood Reserve, 2010 Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc.  Delicious.

Someday, I'll have to visit Australian and try the real thing.  For some strange reason, after dinner, I felt the urge to go on a walkabout into the outback.  Odd.
  •  

justmeinoz

You will be as deviant as any other South Australian if you keep that up.  Only a 'Croweater' could come up with such a dish, let alone eat it!  :P

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Devlyn

Nice job, Jamie! Now get ready for a real taste of Australia...somebody heat up that "Honorary Australian" branding iron! Yes, the big long heavy one! Sorry, Jamie, this is going to hurt you more than it hurts me. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jamie D

Someday, I'm going to have to get an Aussie to tell me what a "croweater" is.

Odd cuisine, don't you agree?  Next thing you know, they'll claim to eat kangaroo.
  •