Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anti-depressants

Started by Kitteh Engimeer, September 25, 2012, 10:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitteh Engimeer

So, I've had two unrelated opinions suggesting that I begin taking anti-depressants. The first one being my boyfriend, who's mom is clinically manic-depressive. He believes that I manifest some of the characteristics his mom's exhibited during his childhood, though not to the same degree. The second was my doctor, who suspects that I may be having reoccurring anxiety attacks, which may attribute to sleeplessness and overall lethargy.

I've been against the idea of taking drugs for depression... up 'til now, at least. Has anyone here taken (or is taking) antidepressants? I'm worried about possible detriments that might come along with taking them. Especially if they may interfere with work or school.  :-\
  •  

Beth Andrea

I'm taking 2 anti-depressants, minimum doses on both, they help quite a bit (not totally, though). No significant side effects.

Be aware there are several classes of a-d's, Prozac is one of meds that most people seem to do well on, but for me it led to severe suicide ideations/urges.

I also have an Rx for an anti-anxiety med, again no side effects but it works amazingly fast, and for several hours.

You definitely will want to be screened for depression and anxiety both.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I take citalopram hydrobromide (Celexa) for anxiety and depression.  It is a SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor).  I have had no problems with it.  I take it at night so if there is any sleepiness, it works out fine.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Cindy

I take Citalopram as well. It saved my life. It is quite a mild antidepressant and as Janet said it boosts serotonin levels. My dose has been cut down to very low and I'll probably go off it soon, but like most anti-depressant medications you have to reduce the dose gradually. It is non-addictive and has not interfered in any way with work or life style.

Do get medically checked for depression, it is very common and in many cases easily treated with outstanding results. I didn't realise how bad I was until dragged to my Dr by friends who recognised the signs. Within a few weeks I was coping with my usual chaotic existence with no trouble again.

Cindy
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Abracadabra on September 26, 2012, 01:36:33 AM
The MOST prescribed type drug for women... - anti-depressant -

Makes you wonder how people managed to live before their event?!

Just saying,
Axélle

PS: I do not take ANY, refuse to.
Ever so often they cause more of what they're supposed to treat...

Go off them once you on them, and you know - you now have become yet another pharma-industry supporter... big time.

As soon as they (doctors) don't know how to help one with sadness... and most have NO clue other than prescribe "Yellow pills"... easy peasy lemon squeezy :(

Wonder what people used to do before modern surgery? Anti-biotics? Dialysis?

Oh that's right...they used to die very early in life.

Depression is NOT "sadness", by the way. Depression is a mental energy state in which one does not have the energy, the drive, the caring to do anything but sit and hold a blanket or Teddie. Yes, there is a peripheral "sadness" feeling, but it is the no-energy state which lasts for MONTHS or YEARS which is being treated.

The Dr's know--by double blind trials--that certain chemicals do help some people. No chemical ("drug") helps everyone, and sometimes bad side effects happen. They know this, and that is why different drugs are prescribed. Everyone is unique in what works, and what doesn't.

If you don't want to take them, fine. That is your choice. But please do not bad-mouth those of us who KNOW the drugs work (for us). As Cindy said, these are life savers...not only physical life, but emotional life as well.

fwiw, I also take Celexa, but am about to change to a different one; its effects have worn out over the past 2 years I've taken it. That is one thing to note, Slightly Interested: Over time, your brain chemistry may change and that may require a change in dosages or meds.

:)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •