Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

is love always unconditional? is love never unconditional?

Started by katia, September 18, 2007, 09:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katia

can it be somewhere in between those? if it's not unconditional is it really love?
  •  

lisagurl

The word love has many meanings and types. You did not give enough information about the type of love to get a clear answer.
  •  

Lisbeth

"is love always unconditional? is love never unconditional?"

No, and no.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

RebeccaFog

Love is a miserable beast capable of any kind behavior.  Stay away from it.   Do you hear me?   >:(
  •  

Cindi Jones

Embrace love
Create it
Give it
Wear it
Be it

And learn to receive it.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jessie_Heart

love is never completely unconditional love needs to be recharged continously or else it fades you feed someones love of you by giving love in return. if once love is spent on you you don't ever give love in return it will eventually fade and disappear. just my two cents worth (even though its real value is probably alot less than that...lol)
  •  

Jeannette

Let us look at an analogous situation: physical love.

In most societies, there are standards for when it is considered appropriate to engage in the physical act of love, whether these are explicitly stated or enforced through more subtle social pressure. A person who sets their standards higher still is often respected, while a person who sets their standards lower is usually reviled, and (depending on the society) may even be overtly punished for it... perhaps even killed.

There are people, for example, who have set their standards for physical love so high that nobody meets their standards. Their physical love is SO conditional that it doesn't happen. We call this being chaste or celibate, and this is considered by many to be a VIRTUE; a person who is unconditional in physical love is not permitted by many religions to serve as an authority.

On the other hand, there are people who set lower standards. A person who trades physical love for money, favours, or power is called a whore. They are reviled in part because they make a mockery of even the term 'physical love'... what they do may be physical, but it's not love. A person who sets their standards even lower can hardly be more respected: someone who will have sex with ANYONE, regardless of feeling, disease, violence, or even convenience or pleasure is usually just thought of as mentally ill at best. An object of pity, not respect.

Why, then, should it be any different for emotional love?

A love that is freely bestowed upon any taker without limit is worth about as much as anything that is freely bestowed upon any taker without limit, which is to say it is worth nothing. A college diploma that was given unconditionally isn't worth the paper it's printed on. A trophy awarded uncondintionally is neither a trophy nor an award - it is just a hunk of metal that symbolizes nothing.

Love can sometimes be the greatest thing of all. To treat it as if it were a worthless thing to be handed out for no reason could be thought of as an insult to all those who truly prize it. Those who proclaim the idea of unconditional love are most likely just those who cannot obtain love in any other way.
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: katia on September 18, 2007, 09:15:36 PM
can it be somewhere in between those? if it's not unconditional is it really love?

Love can be somewhere inbetween conditional and unconditional..  There may be a few conditions ones have to meet before love may become unconditional.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Jeneva

Wow, this is a pretty old thread to bring back to live.

A true or perfect love is unconditional.  However humans are not perfect so our love is not always unconditional.  It is a ideal to strive toward, but we all fall short.

Quote from: Malachite on March 20, 2012, 07:44:37 PM
There may be a few conditions ones have to meet before love may become unconditional.
That statement is impossible.  If it is an unconditional love then it has no conditions to meet.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: Rebis on September 23, 2007, 12:39:42 PM
Love is a miserable beast capable of any kind behavior.  Stay away from it.   Do you hear me?   >:(
lol Rebis, you still reside, hail from outside Boston ?

There's only two(three) varieties of "unconditional love":

1) of dogs
2) of kids (your own usually assuming, like dogs, ya don't abuse 'em )
3) of/for "freedom"and "liberty" ( a principled desire to see all "content & happy", "live and let live" )

( MAYBE "Family" with "marriage", "sex" and "gendered spouses" having absolutely NOTHING to do with above equations ! )
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Jeneva on March 21, 2012, 07:14:47 AM
Wow, this is a pretty old thread to bring back to live.

A true or perfect love is unconditional.  However humans are not perfect so our love is not always unconditional.  It is a ideal to strive toward, but we all fall short.
That statement is impossible.  If it is an unconditional love then it has no conditions to meet.

I think it's possible.  If it was impossible then that "love" can be applied to virtually everyone and everything.  For the purpose of loving a partner there must be something that you find interesting about them first (a condition).  Usually when that hurdle is jumped through then the unconditional love may kick in.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

TheKickitSpot

In my opinion, love is neither conditional nor unconditional. Love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.
  •  

ElusiveAppellation

"Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person; it is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love".

- Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving, 1956.
  •