Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The worst week of my life made being a woman easier

Started by Ms Bev, April 02, 2007, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Bev

My wife, the love of my life,  has been in the hospital this week in critical condition after a fall.  The first day, she could not speak, hold objects, stand, did not recognize many people, and was unconscious much of the time.   
From the beginning, I was heart sick, and could concentrate on nothing but her.  That whole time, everywhere I went, people called me ma'am, even though I wore jeans, tee shirt, and sneakers.  It was a mystery to me, but I accepted it. 

At the front desk, the woman behind the counter pointed to the visitor's register.  "Please sign in, ma'am" she said.  "What room?"  I told her the room number, and she handed me the visitor tag, smiled again.  I stuck it to my tee shirt above my left breast, and was on my way. 

I was accepted as a woman so much, I decided to pass the men's restroom, and go straight to the ladies room.  I tried the handle; it was locked.  "There's a line, girl", a nearby woman said.  she smiled, a little different smile, one that showed patience. then returned to a conversation she was having with another woman.  I leaned against the wall, waiting my turn.  When the door opened on my turn, the woman held it for me politely.

I went straight to the nurses desk on the floor where my wife was, and was immediately ma'amed.  Here, I introduced myself as my wife's husband, male name and all.  I had to be able to make legal decisions if necessary on my wife's behalf.  After digesting that information, they treated me as a woman anyway after I spoke my next sentence.  It was amazing.  I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.  They called me by my Mr. name, and treated me as another woman at the same time.  Totally unbelievable. 

In the hospital cafeteria with a female relative, we received a "hello ladies" from some guy.  ....I have some explaining to do soon, I think.  I'm not out to all my family, only apparently to the rest of the world  overnight.

Everywhere I went, women smiled, or acknowledged me in some way.  I couldn't go anywhere and be treated as anything but a woman.  At the grocery store....."move out of the ladies' way", a young mother told her son.  At the checkout..."over here, ma'am?  checkout 3".  I slid a debit card through the reader.  While we waited, the young lady behind the counter started a friendly conversation with me.

I know, this is a long-winded story, but there's a point to it.  I was under so much stress, I forgot to act like a woman.  I just acted like myself.  A woman, apparently. 

Today, my wife is finally showing a great deal of improvement.  She can  hold conversations, recognizes everyone she knew, and is anxious to be home.  After a week or two of physical therapy, she should be able to come home, close to her normal state of health.  Funny thing, I didn't seem any different to her at all, because around her, I just act like myself.

The last time I was sick, my wife brought me flowers.  When she comes home, I'm buying out the florist's!
1.) If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance. 
Bev
2.) The more I talk to my married friends, the more I
     appreciate  having a wife.
Marcy
  •  

Cindi Jones

I hope she recovers completely.  This is such a scary thing... to have someone you love get hurt like this. I would be a complete wreck. It looks like she is coming through okay.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Ms Bev

Quote from: Cindi Jones on April 03, 2007, 02:07:35 AM
I hope she recovers completely.  This is such a scary thing... to have someone you love get hurt like this. I would be a complete wreck. It looks like she is coming through okay.

Cindi

Thanks for your concern, Cindi.  I was a complete wreck, but could only afford to break down and sob when I was alone in my room, after taking care of her, and taking care of business.  But I was scared to death until yesterday.  I was afraid I would never get her back.  I can't stand the thought of being alone, after being together 30 years.  Thank God she's on her way back.  Thanks God.

Bev
Bev
Marcy
  •  

Shana A

Best wishes for your wife's recovery Bev. And it's very interesting about how your true self was there up front without even trying during times like this.

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Ms Bev

Quote from: zythyra on April 03, 2007, 08:58:49 AM
Best wishes for your wife's recovery Bev. And it's very interesting about how your true self was there up front without even trying during times like this.

zythyra

Yes.....it was right there all the time.  But before this happened, I got ma'amed only half the time.

Bev
Bev
Marcy
  •  

ssindysmith

Hospitals can be very scary and very cool at the same time. One thing I noticed about a year into my transition the less I tried to be the more I was, then things just kinda fell into place.

I hope your wife is well.
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Bev, I've put her on my prayer list.  Sounds like good news and you hang in there girl.

Beverly
  •  

stephanology

It's been a few days, Bev, I hope everything is getting better and better for you and your dear wife.

I recently had a conversation about "magic moments" like the period you had in the hospital there.  Those times when you expect nothing and you are blessed with experiences you may not even understand but can help you immensely.

(I use the term "God" a lot in life, I hope it offends no one)

I do believe that God, (life, the universe,)  creates these moments for us to feed us and heal us and teach us new lessons.  Perhaps he was saying: "I've given you something new to worry about in your wife's accident, but you know, you can stop worrying about your feminine presentation now, you're past that, you're exactly where you need to be."

I'm just throwing it out, there's no way I can know your life experience, but if you're open to these opportunities to learn about ourselves and the world, you'll probably get a lot of peace and happiness from them.

Be well!

Steph
  •  

gennee

I pray that your wife is okay. That 's a beautiful story, Bev. People just saw you for who you really are because you were being yourself. That is so wonderful.

Gennee

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

RebeccaFog

Hi Bev,

That really is a beautiful story. I'm glad you told it.

Something similar happened to me last summer when the one I love was hospitalized for a heart condition. No one 'ma'amed me because I haven't begun transitioning, however, I dropped all the baggage that I carry and I related to the hospital staff as "Rebecca". I don't think they were consciously doing it, but they were not relating to me as if I were a male. I could feel them responding to Rebecca.

Best wishes for your wife and for yourself. Both of you stay strong.

Rebecca
  •  

Ms Bev

I thank all of you for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers!  Cindi, zythyra, ssindysmith, stephanology (I like references to God), gennee, RebeccaFog, and Dear Beverlyann (hugs girl!)....

My Marcy has made great progress, so much so, that they had me bring her home today.  Our world is coming back together, and our bond is stronger than ever.  Yes, I'm sure God teaches us all, every day, in many ways.  I see God in single grains of sand, as well as in the expanse of stars over our heads.

Thank you all again,

A Joyful Bev

Bev
Marcy
  •  

Chaunte

Bev,

I am so glad that your wife is coming home!  I hope and pray that the rest of her recovery will be just as speedy.

Chaunte
  •  

HelenW

Bev,

It's really wonderful to hear that your wife is home and on the mend and I can imagine what you must have felt that first day.  *shudders*

But to have this horrible occurrence coincide with the acceptance you found is unimaginable.  Wow!  The only thing in my life I can compare that to is that during my last week at college, so close to the joy of achieving a major goal, my wife found out she had breast cancer.  The mix of emotions you must have had would probably bewilder me to no end.

Please accept my best wishes for your darling that she get well soon.

hugs & smiles
helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Bev,
Great news and that was faster than you thought.  Now give the lady her socks back so she can keep her toes nice and toasty.  ;)  And in the meantime, you better have bought her flowers!!!!

Hugs back for you and her,
Beverly
  •  

Ms Bev

Chaunte, Helen,
Thank you so much from us both, for your kindness.  Beverlyann.........I don't think I'll ever get to wear those socks again *sigh*.....guess you know what that means?

Shopping trip, girl!

Thanks, and hugs around,

Bev

Bev
Marcy
  •