Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

what road bike would you ladies recommend?

Started by monica93304, August 05, 2012, 09:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monica93304

Hello. I'm going to be 42 years old next month, and was given a used Raleigh Mountain bike from a friend who's a mechanic at a respected local bike shop.

I haven't riden bikes since I was 18 but love road racing and road racing bikes because it's what I grew up watching.  I want to ride again because I've had bad knees and running is out of the picture.  I've been riding once every couple of weeks for 20 miles at a time for the last two months. But I had to stop for a bit because my blood pressure was out of control.  I'm much better now so I'm going to get back on the saddle. 

Diet alone hasn't helped so the bike will be good for me and also mentally therapeutic. 

Here are my stats:
5'9" @ 277 lbs.

I've been looking at Masi bikes. Here's my favorite:  http://www.masibikes.com/bikes/performance/alare-2012

Another bike I like is this Raleigh:  http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/endurance/revenio-2-0-13/

They seem to be in my price range of $700 -$900.

I'd like to know what you ladies ride and suggestions.  Maybe what kind of regimens for distance?  I'm going to begin riding my current bike to work (7 miles) and skipping the comfort of my couch on wheels ( bmw 7 series ).  I know that this is the right path for me. 

Monica.
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Personally, a Suzuki Boulevard T90C.

Oh wait, you mean a bicycle.

I would probably say something in a light weight aluminium or poly-carbon.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

monica93304

•  

Jenny07

Probably best to look for a used bike as you can get better bang for your bucks.

A compact road fame is most comon now, your probably a medium.

For you price range probably an Aluminium frame with Shimano 105 or even Ultegra.
You could get lucky and pick up a carbon frame.

I have a Giant carbon road bike from 8 years ago with Dura Ace and it has been faultless.

Most bikes are very similar and made by the same factory.

Hope this is helpfull
So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

monica93304

I have my ear on the ground through my friends for a decent used bike, but none have popped up.

As far as the Giant brand, I have looked into their Defy 5.  We have a local Giant dealer in Bakersfield.  http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.5/9014/48856/

As far as size, I think a medium would work.  I seem to like bikes with a 54 cm frame cause I have short arms. 

Thanks for the input.
  •  

grrl1nside

Well, it has been a while since I did much in the way of biking. I used to race triathlon a bit (mainly to accompany my partner who was pretty good) and I have both a mountain bike and road bike. For Mountain Bikes, I love my Rocky Mountain bike but I don't think it is the cheap choice, besides you wanted a road bike. So, road bikes... My partner loves her Cervelo but they are priced very high and I don't think you are planning to time trial. In my opinion, the most bang for the buck is definitely Giant and they have a good range of bikes. I own one and love it, but now it collects dust because if I do ride it is on my mountain bike and frankly they are way more comfortable. Best advice, ask for a test ride and don't be afraid to test a couple. You'll find one that just fits better. Since racing isn't your aim then focus on Fit and comfort = more riding. Good luck and if in doubt bring a friend who does more cycling than you.
  •  

Floritine

Hi, When getting a new road bike the best thing is to get fitted to the frame and then try different bikes out as different frame and components will feel different between brands/models and then the 2nd most important thing find a saddle that suit your ass,
If your in a social bike group try other peoples bikes and get they opinions on there toys,
And if you haven't already got a set of clipless pedals and shoes look into them as there a great investment http://bikeshopgirl.com/2010/05/clipless-pedal-advantages-and-disadvantages/
But I like the masi bike better because there made in Italy and has heritage in the name, the components are entry level but we all have to start some where and you can all ways up grade in the future when/ if you need a new child..
Lots of people ride giant and the rest of the big brands for there name sake, but the smaller companies local and overseas are just as good if not better and you will get more looks on it cause its different.. 
I have my second Olmo that was custom built to my likings with campy stiff and what I wanted specificed on it cause I wanted something that was different and comes from the best bike making area in the world, then my other child is a steel giant that I only got because (a) it's yellow (b) steel (c) I crack the previous steel bike frame and did want the repair bill fixing it 2 time round (that was the best fame I ever owned only cause the geometry)
As for what Jenny said , the down side to used bike is you don't get warranty on it, you don't know how had its been treated and the ware on components may cost you more than the $700 -$900 you looking to spend on the Masi which has a warranty.
Carbon frames have a weight limit if you read the fine print of max 100kg from memory and speaking to sales reps years ago when I worked for a bike shop, the other downside is  you cant repair cabon frame, unlike steel or alu frame that can be repaired,
Yeah Dura Ace is good that's because it the top of the line from Shimano but you can't totally rebuild it like you can with  Campagnolo which is better and slightly more expensive in every group set over Shimano ..

Cheers Tracy
  •