Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Whipping Girl by Julia Serano

Started by seldom, April 09, 2007, 11:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seldom

I don't think this belongs in the books section of entertainment.  I stress this because this is the first time I have read a well written book on TS women that has its place alongside great feminist texts.  It is not entertainment.  It is an extremely well written trans-feminist book.  It is a manifesto for the TG community, but especially TS women. 

This book is literally the best written book on TS philosophy from a MtF perspective.  It is not a autobiography by an means, but an extremely effective and well written text.  It is without question one of the best feminist texts I have read (and I have read several).

Despite all of the books I have read on TS and TG issues, I have yet to read a text that really can lay out transsexual philosophy in an effective way.  There have been good concepts, the books have helped me, but this one, it puts everything up front and in an effective way.  The concepts are better laid out than even my favorite trans writers. 

I don't know why I wish I could describe everything, but the more I read, the more I realize this book is our Feminine Mystique or Second Sex and it is barely mentioned in the community.  I only bought it because it sounded like something I was looking for.  A book from an academic that explores deeper concepts regarding TS and femininity.  It is an indictment and analysis on those who bring us down in society, as well as one of the most empowering text I have read.

Am I the only person who knows about this book and has read it?
  •  

Mina

Yes! I've heard of it! I just wish I could remember where...I think it's hidden in one of the dark recesses inside my shed: I'll have to look for it and read it. I've seen it in a few bookshops too.
  •  

LostInTime

I had never heard of it before so I used the `Tool of the Gods' called Google and ran across Julia's page about the book here.

Whipping Girl is my first full-length book! It is a collection of personal essays that debunk many of the myths and misconceptions that people have about trans women, as well as the subject of gender in general. It is published by Seal Press (Emeryville, CA). At this point, the book can be pre-ordered online at Powells.com and Amazon.com. It should be available in book stores by late May, early June, 2007.
  •  

seldom

Quote from: LostInTime on April 13, 2007, 09:59:21 AM
I had never heard of it before so I used the `Tool of the Gods' called Google and ran across Julia's page about the book here.

Whipping Girl is my first full-length book! It is a collection of personal essays that debunk many of the myths and misconceptions that people have about trans women, as well as the subject of gender in general. It is published by Seal Press (Emeryville, CA). At this point, the book can be pre-ordered online at Powells.com and Amazon.com. It should be available in book stores by late May, early June, 2007.

Some how I ended up with a bound draft.  I caught one error in the book so far.  But some of the essays were published in previous magazines and books.

•  

gothique11

Ooooh, that book sounds cool. :)

I can't wait for it to come out.

I remember when I used to get pre-print releases (I used to co-run a small magazine, and I'd contact publishers to review up-coming books that would be of interest to the readers, they came in the mail and were free... yay!)

•  

Shana A

I visited Julia's website, there's an excerpt from the first chapter, wonderful! I'm definitely buying her book as soon as it's available.

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

SusanK

Quote from: Amy T. on April 09, 2007, 11:44:22 PM

Ok, I'm game, how did you read the book that hasn't been published yet, or at least released to the public? I've read some of Julia's writings and will look to buy the book. Thanks.

--Susan--
  •  

seldom

Quote from: SusanK on April 22, 2007, 06:57:07 PM
Quote from: Amy T. on April 09, 2007, 11:44:22 PM

Ok, I'm game, how did you read the book that hasn't been published yet, or at least released to the public? I've read some of Julia's writings and will look to buy the book. Thanks.

--Susan--

I somehow ended up with a bound draft.  Which is an early printing for reviewers. 
  •  

gothique11

How did you get the bound draft book, Amy?
  •  

seldom

Used books are wonderful things :)

I wish I could say it was through my relentless advocacy in the social justice field.   Alas, I just got lucky. 
Just to let everybody know the book is now out in stores.
  •  

Melissa-kitty

I'm halfway through it now. Good book. Well worth reading. I am not familiar with feminist writings and style, so it takes a bit of getting used to. Great points, much food for thought. I think it will need rereading to more critically examine her ideas. I recommend it heartily!
Blessings, Tara
  •  

Protasekretis

I am reading now the Whipping Girl. It arrived yesterday by post, I had ordered it from Swedish bookshop.

It is well written. A revolutionary book. I am now in chapter 7. Interesting to reflect my own identity through this. I think, as a European, this feels so American-centered... some parts are really theoretical. Chapter 4 about "girlgasms", was painful to read, as it made me think what it would feel to be a woman in womans body, and also it brought memories from past relationships.

There are differences.. in TG experience.

If I would write such book, I would begin from the history of literature; I would bring history of Turkey, Persia, India, Venice, Byzance.. Sometimes I feel american style is so pragmatically, and medically and politically oriented.. Where is the poetry..
Strange too, I notice myself missing Andrew Harvey, when I read Julia Serano.. Harvey's book Essential Gay Mystics was such a milestone, an eye opener for me.. This book seems to be quite empty of spirituality.
I wonder what the rest of book will be. Part 2 is about feminism. I dont know. I have had such great time with Marguerite Duras, Helene Cixous and other french feminists, that may be my expectations may be unrealistically high.. I dont know yet what I think. It takes much time, let's see now...
  •  

brainiac

I really love this book. I recently bought it after borrowing it from the library, because I feel like it's an essential addition to books I need to make other people read. :P

Serano is so insightful and her writing style is so clear. The thing that really makes it stand out for me, though, is that most of the feminist literature I've read has left me feeling depressed, even if it is supposed to be optimistic. This book fires me up and makes me believe that there is still something worth fighting for.
  •