Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Wigs. Advice?

Started by PHXGiRL, July 24, 2012, 12:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHXGiRL

So I currently have a rather cheap human hair wig that I purchased on eBay roughly a 2 months ago. It's not the best quality. I'd like to make a investment on a nice head of real human hair that will last me threw 2013 while I let my hair grow out that looks 100% real. I need some good opinions and a little more insight also if you know any place online you think I should check out let me know too please. thanks ladies! :)

Here are two that I currently like:

http://www.wigs.com/product_info.php?products_id=4142

http://www.wigs.com/product_info.php?products_id=4143

~Serena
  •  

crazy old bat

I was never convinced that human hair was always better than synthetic, especially considering the price. I used synthetic way back and even other transwomen I was around thought it was my real hair. And then when my real hair grew out, a few people thought I was wearing a wig, lol. 

•  

Madison Leigh

Quote from: crazy old bat on July 24, 2012, 12:11:25 AM
I was never convinced that human hair was always better than synthetic, especially considering the price. I used synthetic way back and even other transwomen I was around thought it was my real hair. And then when my real hair grew out, a few people thought I was wearing a wig, lol.

I tend to agree with that.  I went to a wig shop a few months ago and while she was more than willing to help me get a human hair wig, she showed me several synthetic ones that I really liked and I ended up ordering one of those.  I've been very happy with it, although I'm strongly considering going back and getting another one with longer/straighter hair than I can ponytail.  My issue was that my head is fairly large and that limited me somewhat in what would fit. 

That being said, I really like both of the ones that the OP picked out.

Madison
  •  

crazy old bat

Quote from: Madison Leigh on July 24, 2012, 12:19:00 AM

That being said, I really like both of the ones that the OP picked out.

Oh, I did too, but the prices...

•  

PHXGiRL

Is synthetic lace? I know I sound like a dumby. lol

Is it better that I go to a wig shop personally you think?
  •  

crazy old bat

Quote from: Serena Lynn on July 24, 2012, 12:32:45 AM

The last one I got was a front lace one. 

And yes, I think trying them on to be sure is best, but often, they do usually cost a little more at a shop than online.
  •  

PHXGiRL

Quote from: crazy old bat on July 24, 2012, 12:38:04 AM
The last one I got was a front lace one. 

And yes, I think trying them on to be sure is best, but often, they do usually cost a little more at a shop than online.

good to know. So synthetic is not lace then? What kind of hair is it? Can it be heated and worn in different styles? Stupid questions I know. lol I'm such a noob! hahaha
  •  

crazy old bat

Quote from: Serena Lynn on July 24, 2012, 12:43:55 AM
good to know. So synthetic is not lace then? What kind of hair is it?
Its some sort of synthetic fiber rather than human hair. When talking lace where wigs are involved, it has to do with how the cap part is made.
  •  

Madison Leigh

Quote from: Serena Lynn on July 24, 2012, 12:32:45 AM

I really do think it's better to go a wig shop.  I had previously ordered a couple online and they didn't fit quite right and they just weren't what I wanted.  I went to a smaller shop and dealt with the owner and she was incredibly helpful.  As I mentioned I have a larger than average head so she didn't have very many that would fit me in-stock, but she was able to get me (correctly) sized and then show me several styles, colors, etc.  Once that was determined we then went through several catalogs and she made some recommendations - I finally settled on one of the ones she picked out and she ordered it and had it within a few days.

It was more expensive than if I had ordered it myself online, but not that much (I probably could've saved $10-$20), but the time she spent with me both during the initial visit and the follow-up visit when I picked it up was well worth it. 

Madison
  •  

Medusa

And what about hair extensions ?
I think it should work better than wig, and also is much easier to modify.
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •  

Madison Leigh

Quote from: Medusa on July 24, 2012, 02:38:10 AM
And what about hair extensions ?
I think it should work better than wig, and also is much easier to modify.

In the right circumstances they probably are.  In my case my hair is so thin that it wasn't an option for me.  That was a little frustrating as I have so much hair *everywhere* else, but virtually none on my head.

Madison
  •  

Cindy

I bought my first wigs on line due to fear factor. I went to a wig shop later and the people were totally charming and very friendly and professional. The first question was whether I wanted a cup of tea :laugh:

A couple of point I found very interesting is that hair styles do change with age, and with face and body structure, getting an experts opinion to tell you that hair down to your waist is very cute but very rare in a woman your age can be helpful. Having independent advice about the shape of your face and the best styles to match it was also important. There are hundreds of wigs in the shop and you can try them all on and see what they look like, which is a very big plus. They also give advice on washing and caring for the wig, which was also very helpful. If you decide upon human hair wigs they do need special care otherwise you can easily destroy them, I did to that to one by washing it incorrectly, even though I followed instructions. A good wig shop will take care of cleaning and restyling for you. Another also is that they will style the wig to your individual look. A good wig doesn't fit every facial structure so may need a bit of trimming and styling for your face shape, you really cannot do that to yourself in front of a mirror, but they can.

If you are FT you may want to consider buying at least to wigs in the same style so you can have one being cleaned and still have one ready, any shop should give a nice discount for that.

Serenna you have a very pretty longish face and I think the two wigs you picked would look good but for the amount of money it would be worth while getting them professionally fitted (IMO).

BTW I overcame my nerves when someone told me that in general people who go to wig shops are either on chemotherapy or are TG MtF and the shop is dependent upon us as customers :laugh:

Happy Hunting, let us know what you end up with and the adventures you have.

Cindy
  •  

caitlin_adams

I'll try to provide a consolidated set of answers to the questions raised:

1. Both of those styles are gorgeous - in fact those are both on my short-list of human hair wigs too.

2. I believe the look of good human hair wigs is far superior to synthetic, it's just more natural looking and less shiny / nylon looking. That said, your mileage may vary. I'd also take a good synthetic haired wig over a cheaper looking human haired wig any day. The key is too actually look at the item in question and compare it with other tangible items.

3. Good human haired wigs are expensive. Whether they're of value to you depends on how much money you have and whether it comes at the expense of laser, HRT or other parts of your transition. I feel having natural looking hair is pretty high on the priorities but if it meant delaying HRT perhaps it would be better not purchasing a new wig and instead growing out your hair and starting HRT sooner (for example).

4. Synthetic refers to the hair filament type (synthetic as opposed to human hair). Lace refers to the cap construction. I have a lace front wig and it allows strands of hair to be anchored to the front of the wig without the wig cap being noticeable or identifiable. If money permits I think you'd absolutely want a lace front wig.

5. I wouldn't spend money on a wig without trying it on. Certain styles that you think would work for you often don't or don't fit. I'd absolutely recommend you visit a wig shop. You'll pay slightly more than online but it'll be worth it.

6. As a rule, human hair wigs can be heated and styled, synthetic cannot. That said Jon Renau have just released their new HD (Head Defiant) synthetic hair wig range that can tolerate a bit of heat: http://www.jonrenau.com/wigs/hd-collection

7. I have no experience with hair extensions :) good luck with that.

8. Cindy's advice is great. I thoroughly concur.
  •  

caitlin_adams

Also Wigs.Com have their own YouTube channel that has high def video reviews of wigs (their website has the low-def ones)

•  

PHXGiRL

Quote from: caitlin_adams on July 25, 2012, 03:38:09 AM
I'll try to provide a consolidated set of answers to the questions raised:

1. Both of those styles are gorgeous - in fact those are both on my short-list of human hair wigs too.

2. I believe the look of good human hair wigs is far superior to synthetic, it's just more natural looking and less shiny / nylon looking. That said, your mileage may vary. I'd also take a good synthetic haired wig over a cheaper looking human haired wig any day. The key is too actually look at the item in question and compare it with other tangible items.

3. Good human haired wigs are expensive. Whether they're of value to you depends on how much money you have and whether it comes at the expense of laser, HRT or other parts of your transition. I feel having natural looking hair is pretty high on the priorities but if it meant delaying HRT perhaps it would be better not purchasing a new wig and instead growing out your hair and starting HRT sooner (for example).

4. Synthetic refers to the hair filament type (synthetic as opposed to human hair). Lace refers to the cap construction. I have a lace front wig and it allows strands of hair to be anchored to the front of the wig without the wig cap being noticeable or identifiable. If money permits I think you'd absolutely want a lace front wig.

5. I wouldn't spend money on a wig without trying it on. Certain styles that you think would work for you often don't or don't fit. I'd absolutely recommend you visit a wig shop. You'll pay slightly more than online but it'll be worth it.

6. As a rule, human hair wigs can be heated and styled, synthetic cannot. That said Jon Renau have just released their new HD (Head Defiant) synthetic hair wig range that can tolerate a bit of heat: http://www.jonrenau.com/wigs/hd-collection

7. I have no experience with hair extensions :) good luck with that.

8. Cindy's advice is great. I thoroughly concur.

Thank you for the words of wisdom :)
  •  

PHXGiRL

Well Jen-Jen and I ended up going to a local wig store yesterday and I ended up getting  a Synthetic/ with front lace wig. Ran me $385 plus tax far less then the ones I previously posted. I like it a lot very good quality and the lady was very helpful. I tried on like 6-8 different wigs and it was overall really fun.

Here's a couple pictures let me know what you think.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
  •  

MadelineB

Quote from: Serena Lynn on July 27, 2012, 03:46:03 PM
LOOKING FABULOUS. I immediately was going, "I swear I know that girl". Really works well with your features, and helps to bring out your personality too.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

caitlin_adams

Well Jen-Jen and I ended up going to a local wig store yesterday and I ended up getting  a Synthetic/ with front lace wig. Ran me $385 plus tax far less then the ones I previously posted. I like it a lot very good quality and the lady was very helpful. I tried on like 6-8 different wigs and it was overall really fun.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Serena, you look gorgeous! Is that a Jon Renau wig? It suits you really well.
  •  

PHXGiRL

Quote from: MadelineB on July 27, 2012, 11:10:46 PM
LOOKING FABULOUS. I immediately was going, "I swear I know that girl". Really works well with your features, and helps to bring out your personality too.

Thank you. :)

Quote from: caitlin_adams on July 27, 2012, 11:57:10 PM
Serena, you look gorgeous! Is that a Jon Renau wig? It suits you really well.

Thank you! :) I'm not sure who makes it. I probably should of asked I was so wrapped up in the high of getting new hair! I was like a little girl in a candy store.  :p

she mentioned a few different makers so it could be?
  •  

Cindy

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Serena,
You look fabulous, congratulations, very very hot young lady.
I'm so glad you went to a shop, I did think you would end up with something that really suited you, and that one does. It is ideal for you facial shape and features.

Beautiful.

Hugs

Cindy
  •