Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Name Change (How to make it happen)

Started by Caleb, July 25, 2012, 09:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

So... I'm in the process of either going back to college and receiving another degree, or starting a job that I'm going to have to work my way up through the ranks. Regardless, I want to start one of them with a fresh start, and full boy mode.

With that said, I need a name change. I've contacted a law firm near my hometown, and they charge anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars to help with the process of getting the name changed on everything: license, social security, etc. and I believe also getting that little F changed to an M.

Is there anyone who has had their name changed, and they did it all alone? Walk me through the process please.

And if there is anyone who did this through a lawyer, how much was it? Was it worth getting the help?
  •  

Robert Scott

I just did it myself --- it's fairly easy....send me a pm with where you live - state and county and I can see if I can find you a link that lays out all the paperwork - each state does it differently
  •  

Adio

Depends on where you live.  I had an attorney change my name and gender marker through the same court order which I couldn't have done by myself.  But the process and price shouldn't be too terrible for a name change and in some cases the fees can be waived.

Getting your name changed on other documents is usually rather simple.  Just presenting your court order, filling out forms, etc.  Changing your gender marker can be more difficult but some states have special forms and procedures for getting that done as well.

For a name change call/visit the court house in the county you live in and ask for name change paperwork.  Depending on your state, they may also have forms and/or requirements for a gender marker change.  It really depends on the state/county as to what you do from there.  Some require you to put an announcement in a local newspaper, some don't.  Some ask you to appear in court, some don't.  Present your paperwork, find out the next step from them.  After you follow their procedures, get your court order and bring it to the various places you need your name changed.  That's pretty much it.
  •  

Henri

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a sort of related question (perhaps the OP would like to know as well). Once your name is legally changed is it possible to have your high school change your name on your transcript if you have already graduated?

•  

Sarah Louise

Every State and County has a different price structure.  In some places its very easy to change your name.

The easiest way to start is by going to your local court house and buying a packet for a name change (I paid $10 for that packet), in my county the filing fee was $195 or something like that, plus I had to publish the change in a local paper for 6 weeks.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Quote from: Sarah Louise on July 25, 2012, 01:28:27 PM
...plus I had to publish the change in a local paper for 6 weeks.
That's sort of ridiculous.
I mean, I doubt anyone really pays much attention to those sections of a paper, but still.
Meow.

•  

Sarah Louise

Rediculous or not, its a court requirement.  Same thing when I got my DBA (doing business as).
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Jamie D

Caleb, we moved your post to the "Legal Matters" forum, because it was topical for all of our members.

And thanks to all those who have replied to Caleb's questions.
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Quote from: Sarah Louise on July 25, 2012, 01:51:12 PM
Rediculous or not, its a court requirement.  Same thing when I got my DBA (doing business as).
My point was is that it's not a court requirement where I live.
My name has been legally changed for a while now and I never had to subject myself to something like that.
Meow.

•  

Caleb

Thanks for all the feedback y'all. I really don't want to pay an attorney that much, but it seems I may possibly be able to just do it alone. Another thing is that I'm in the south, so I'm not sure if it'd be more difficult to do this sort of thing around here, than in other, more open minded areas.

And I'm with you Sarah... I would never have that posted in my local newspaper. I don't see why it should be anyone's business anyways. As small as my town is, my secret would no longer be a "secret."
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Caleb on July 25, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
Thanks for all the feedback y'all. I really don't want to pay an attorney that much, but it seems I may possibly be able to just do it alone. Another thing is that I'm in the south, so I'm not sure if it'd be more difficult to do this sort of thing around here, than in other, more open minded areas.

And I'm with you Sarah... I would never have that posted in my local newspaper. I don't see why it should be anyone's business anyways. As small as my town is, my secret would no longer be a "secret."

From what I understand it's mostly for those out there who you owe a debt to let them know.  It's a waste of money if you don't owe anyone anything.  Let me know how it goes man.  I think we are around the same area (unless you moved) so when you do get it done I'll have some sort of a guide book to follow too!
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Epi

Quote from: Caleb on July 25, 2012, 05:29:55 PM

It doesn't have to be your local paper, you could pick a penny saver or some gazette type of print for publication of your name.

Quote from: Malachite on July 25, 2012, 06:08:49 PM
From what I understand it's mostly for those out there who you owe a debt to let them know.  It's a waste of money if you don't owe anyone anything.  Let me know how it goes man.  I think we are around the same area (unless you moved) so when you do get it done I'll have some sort of a guide book to follow too!

It's actually to prevent fraud.  (Evading payment of a debt by changing your name is considered fraudulent behavior.)  If you could just change your name whenever without publication and then live under it we'd have a lot more crooks and thieves out there (and I'm sure Bernie Madoff would have taken advantage of that if that was the case).
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Ep on July 25, 2012, 09:12:15 PM
It doesn't have to be your local paper, you could pick a penny saver or some gazette type of print for publication of your name.

It's actually to prevent fraud.  (Evading payment of a debt by changing your name is considered fraudulent behavior.)  If you could just change your name whenever without publication and then live under it we'd have a lot more crooks and thieves out there (and I'm sure Bernie Madoff would have taken advantage of that if that was the case).

Yeah that's what I meant but only like in an odd twisted way.  Oops   :D
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

MrTesto

Even in places where the court requires and specifies which papers to publish in, you may be able to request to not publish, and even have the records sealed, if there is a reference to being transgender or transsexual. (Usual reason given is "common usage," around here) Also find out whether the paper archives those announcements online.
  •  

Cindy

The laws of name change vary every where so check the local requirements. Many of the 'laws' are crazy. In the very Liberal GLBTG friendly Sstate of South Australia there are several ways to change your name. One is changing your name by statute using a packet that allows you and guides you through the process, quite easy and harmless, and anyone can do it. If you have SRS you can have a name change and gender change using much the same process, BUT, it 'annuls your marriage. Which I think is sick. So I can change my name live as female be accepted as female have full SRS, ignore gender markers on documents and remain married or change my name, change my gender marker (which I don't use) and lose my marriage.

I'm coming up to 30 yrs of marriage. My wife accepts me and she is totally disabled and it would shatter her to lose her 'husband' even though she accepts me as female.

It seems pretty sick and unfair to me.

•  

Caleb

Wow Cindy, I honestly can't even imagine. That is sick, indeed. I pray that we one day live in a world that no longer lives in blue or pink. People are scared of what they don't understand, but it'll only get better.
  •  

bullwinklle

I did my name change in Florida on my own. It was a matter of filling out a form (requiring a notary signature) and turning it in to the court house with a $400 (ouch!) fee and identity documents. Following that I had to do fingerprinting for a background check. Sometimes my state requires that you appear before a judge; I did not have to. They just mailed me the legal name change document. (Your state's process might be different, but this is all to give you an idea of what steps you *could* do on your own)

In my case, I was 27, single, no kids, and no major connections or history (businesses, ownership of anything, etc.), so my situation wasn't very complicated, and thus wouldn't have needed an attorney. If your situation is more complicated (marriage, business ownership, major assets, debt, etc.), then it might be useful to have an attorney to ensure that everything is solid.

The fun (sarcasm) part comes afterwards when you get to change all of your documents/credit cards/bank accounts!
  •  

Rebecca Perez

Quote from: JasonRX on July 25, 2012, 01:37:56 PM
That's sort of ridiculous.
I mean, I doubt anyone really pays much attention to those sections of a paper, but still.

I recently filed for a name change. I did the paperwork myself and it still cost around $450 in fees and publishing the name change in the paper.

Who reads those sections? Old people do! Oh my gosh! My dad is an Elks (He knows all about  me) but still a surprise when his friends started calling asking what was going on. LOL! I didn't even think about that. I thought, "No one reads this, this should be easy."
  •  

crazy old bat

geesh, it only cost me $250 doing it through a lawyer because the clerk of court prefers it that way. The only posting was on a board at the court house. I live in NC by the way.
  •  

Robert Scott

So you are wanting to change your name and you want to know how to change your name or what to expect if you are meeting with an attorney about legally changing your name.  Well, here are the steps that will be required when you want to change your name in South Carolina. Legal name changes are governed by South Carolina Code Section 15-49-10.

Before a name change petition can be filed with the Family Court, you must take care of some administrative things.  First you have to request a name change kit from the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED).  This kit will include information on ordering a background check and a fingerprint card.  You should go to a local law enforcement office to get fingerprinted.  That fingerprint card should be sent in with the background check form along with a check for $25.00.  A few days later you will receive a copy of the background check from SLED.

You must also obtain a screening statement from the Department of Social Services stating that you are not on any child abuse or neglect registries.  There is an $8.00 charge for this statement.  You will need to fill out a form and mail the form and payment in and several days later you will receive that report.

You should also get verification that you are not on the State Sexual Offender Registry.

•