Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Stanton on Larry King Live Transcript

Started by LostInTime, April 16, 2007, 08:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

link

KING: We welcome to LARRY KING LIVE, Steve Stanton, the former city manager of Largo, Florida. He was fired last month after disclosing he was a transsexual and wanted to become a woman. With him is Karen Doering, she is senior counsel for the National Center for Lesbian Rights. She is the attorney for Steven Stanton.

How long has this feeling gone on, Steve? When did you first say, "I'm the wrong gender?"

STEVE STANTON, HUSBAND & FATHER FIRED AFTER 14 YEARS AS LARGO, FLORIDA CITY MANAGER: Yes, very earlier, since I was a child I can remember I wanted walk into the candy store in my sister's shoes. It was a very profound knowledge that your body didn't match your spirit.

KING: What's the difference between that or wanting to be or being gay?

STANTON: Yes, it's sexual identification. Orientation is very different from gender identification. So when you're a transsexual, it feels like your body does not match your...

KING: You don't belong?

STANTON: Yes, yes, yes, and it's not synonymous with the sexual orientation at all.

KING: Yet you grew up hiding all of this. You got married and you had a son. What was marriage like?

STANTON: Marriage was good. I loved my wife. I got married because I wanted to have a lasting relationship. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. We had a good marriage.

KING: Good boy, good son?

STANTON: Good son, a great son. My little son is named Travis and he and I are extremely close.
  •