Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What to do when your ID is old gender ??

Started by born2learn, April 11, 2007, 04:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2learn

I try and try to get my gender change on ID but rule just get harder and harder. Sure need surgery. Can't get surgery if u don't travel out of state. If you travel got to show ID and passport. Also you got to show ID for job, check and even other things like go in club go to airport. Sometime It really feel like you make one step forward and 10 step backward. What to do?? I know for sure everything now require ID.
  •  

Kimberly

The blunt answer is get ID for 'new' gender.

Failing that, make due until such time that you can get new ID.

If you are stealth, well, I have no idea what to tell you.

If you are out, shrug, it does not matter one bit.

I wish you luck.
  •  

Melissa

When I was ready to get my gender marker changed, I had plans and backup plans in case the prior plans failed.  Fortunately plan A worked (normal process through my residing state).  Some of my other options were to either "temporarily move" to a different state by use of a friend's address and get an ID change, then transfer it back.  Another option was to actually move.  Etc.  My point was, I was determined to (by one way or another) get it changed no matter how far I had to go to do it.  Oh, and no I haven't had surgery yet.
  •  

mikke

I've found for things like licenses, people don't even notice if it's the wrong gender. If you've got a male name on it (and you don't need surgery for that), the general population doesn't notice that little "F" and most people don't know that certain numbers in the license correspond to gender. The police is a slightly more complicted matter...my advice? Don't get pulled over or arrested!
  •  

EmergeAndSeeExit

Certain numbers in a license correspond to gender? So what happens when you get your sex marker changed?

I had no idea about that. But then, all I have is an expired permit. Do driver's license numbers ever change?
  •  

Elizabeth

I already have a name that is a popular female TV name, so I just got a new picture taken. Still says M, but the picture matches me, I doubt anyone even looks for the M or F. Hope that helps.

Love always,
Elizabeth
  •  

gothique11

In my personal experience, I haven't had anyone notice the M on my idea -- or they haven't mentioned it. I changed my picture and my name, but in my province they won't change the M to an F until surgery.

But, I know how much a pain it is to go with an old ID -- my old ID had me with a beard it in, and I carried that around for a couple months while being full time (I couldn't afford to change it right away). I'd get kicked out of clubs, or I'd have to awkwardly explain what was going on.

I hope you get your ID changed soon, anyway. The picture is the most important, since people usually look at that.
  •  

Christo

here in d.c. u can change ur sex with a doctor's letter. I change mine when I started T. was hella easy.
  •  

mikke

Quote from: EmergeAndSeeExit on April 11, 2007, 08:54:03 PM
Certain numbers in a license correspond to gender? So what happens when you get your sex marker changed?

I had no idea about that. But then, all I have is an expired permit. Do driver's license numbers ever change?

You get a new license number. Though I'm not certain if ALL the states do this- I know mine does.
  •  

ssindysmith

I did mine in kinda a two step process first I had my name changed via a court order, that was very easy next I had my name and picture changed on my DL a week later I went to a different licensing office, told the clerk in my most feminine voice that somebody goofed I showed her the license pointed out it said male, she looked at me looked at my BF sat in front of her computer and made the corrections. When I left I had a DL with "F" in the gender marker :)
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: EmergeAndSeeExit on April 11, 2007, 08:54:03 PM

Different states do it different ways, so sometimes it may factor in and in some ways it may not.  I'm more familiar with Oregon and Washington, although I changed mine in Washington.  In Oregon, it is just a numeric (6 digits I believe) number which may or may not change, but Washington has an alphanumeric on based on your full name, DOB, and I believe some kind of checksum.  When I got my name and gender change, I was given a new license number, but apparently there was somebody with my exact name and date of birth already living in the state and by the method they derive their number, my number was already in use, so I ended up with an alternate number.
  •  

born2learn

I went to get my gender change with a note from doctor and they still wouldn't change my gender. Tell me i have to finish everything then get doctor note. I feel soooooooooo small... people behind me and they talk out loud and the line is close by...
I just want get out of this place as fast as i can.
  •  

Christo

Quote from: born2learn on April 12, 2007, 06:15:41 PM
I went to get my gender change with a note from doctor and they still wouldn't change my gender. Tell me i have to finish everything then get doctor note. I feel soooooooooo small... people behind me and they talk out loud and the line is close by...
I just want get out of this place as fast as i can.

where r u at man?  some states dont change dls's so u can be outta luck.
  •  

GQjoey

This used to really bother me too, still does, but my id expires in a year so I'll worry about it then. When I initially got it, about 4 years ago (19), the guy at the DMV filled out the important stuff before handing it over to me. He looked at my old ID (Which also had a F on it) filled in my name on the new one, address, and checked off the M. So I figured sweet, I'm in.

Well I got my ID a few weeks later with a fat F on it, bummed me out for a while. My mom said social security probably caught it, and changed it. I've noticed barely ANYONE ever notices. If they do, I'll tell them it was a mistake, who cares. My brothers buddy got his new id with a F on it, they obviously made a mistake. He didn't care, still has the same id.

I'm moving back to the bay area soon, so I'll need to get a new ID, hopefully this time I can get that M marker like we all want.
  •  

Christo

•  

born2learn

Thanks Hidrix that was very helpful website. I did check that law out. I told my doctor to write the note saying what it stated on the site for HI. However, the person work there say have to finish everything... Make me mad and just give up...

Thanks Gqjoey that was very helpful. I feel much better. I just wish no one will go through what i been through or worst..
  •  

Christo

•  

cami_wi

I changed my name Leagally first, when I went to DMV to Renew and Change my Name the woman working was say Cool. She looked at her screen and saw Male, she said No way Honey, changed it to an F , while reading my old name she saw David as my Middle name and again she said Honey you look more like a Cami Dawn. That is my permanent name on all Idenification now.
  Last thing to do was deal with Social Secruity, I went there, filled out a lost my card paper, checked Female on it, took it to the counter and the lady changed my name but Would Not change my gender. I went back in 3 weeks with my New Birth Certificate, letter from my HRT Doctor stating I was a M to F
Transsexual and I was under All Proper medical care. When i got to the Counter I asked if she Could Verify that all my Infromation from DMV was correct with them . She looked it all over, did some typing, hit print and came back with a paper and asked me to look it over. I looked it over and she changed my Gender to F. I asked if I could get a copy, she said dear, you will get a New SS Card in the mail in a few weeks. Besides we just stick the paper in a file, it isn't used for anything really.

Now ALL my Gender Markers out there are changed :-)

I really think it all depends on WHO waits on you, How there day has gone, How You Carry and Present yourself and have ALL the paperwork you have
about your Changes with you.

good Luck Everyone !

Cami
  •