Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

William Windom, R.I.P.

Started by Jamie D, August 21, 2012, 01:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

I saw that William Windom passed awy.  He was a versatile actor.

But I will best remember him in the role of Commodore Matt Decker, in the "The Doomsday Machine" episode of the originalStar Trek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doomsday_Machine_%28Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series%29

I have the series set on DVD and re-watched the episode from Season Two.  The graphics look dated today, but the plot and dialogue are as compelling today, as they were in 1967.
  •  

Arch

That was my first thought, the Star Trek connection. A lot of people are famous for their one appearance on the original show, of course. But when I was a teenager, I used to bore my parents with stuff like "Oh, look, it's Joe Blow! He played the Xillian storekeeper, Rasho Trang, in "Outcast Fate" on Star Trek! Third season, I think..."

You'd think that their only worthwhile role was on that show...
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Arch

He was also in that show My World and Welcome to It, which was running when I was six or seven. It was over my head, adult fare, and that always frustrated me for some reason. I've always wanted to see that show as an adult. I don't suppose it's on DVD.

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Arch on August 21, 2012, 01:57:12 AM
He was also in that show My World and Welcome to It, which was running when I was six or seven. It was over my head, adult fare, and that always frustrated me for some reason. I've always wanted to see that show as an adult. I don't suppose it's on DVD.

That was the James Thurber adaptation, as I recall.
  •  

AbraCadabra

What a sexy good looking dude he was --- and goodness, how he'd changed with age!

Axélle
PS: all the good looking guys are gay - or dead, eish!

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Jamie D

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Arch on August 21, 2012, 01:57:12 AM

It has been ...

http://www.amazon.com/My-World-Welcome-William-Windom/dp/B0015QUZ4E
  •  

AbraCadabra

•  

Arch

Quote from: Jamie D on August 21, 2012, 03:01:48 AM
It has been ...

Not yet, it seems. Still waiting to be released. And I'd have to buy it myself anyway, since I don't think my video store would stock it, and I don't do Netflix.

I think the animation was a primary attraction for me, actually. I didn't know who Thurber was, but I remember the cool way they integrated animation into the show. And the opening credit sequence sticks in my mind even now. I don't remember the specifics, but it was very distinctive. I guess that's Thurber for you.

Windom lived to be 88. Not bad. And of course he lost his looks; few people escape that. We all deteriorate in the end.

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Arch on August 21, 2012, 03:23:17 AM
Not yet, it seems. Still waiting to be released. And I'd have to buy it myself anyway, since I don't think my video store would stock it, and I don't do Netflix.

I think the animation was a primary attraction for me, actually. I didn't know who Thurber was, but I remember the cool way they integrated animation into the show. And the opening credit sequence sticks in my mind even now. I don't remember the specifics, but it was very distinctive. I guess that's Thurber for you.

Windom lived to be 88. Not bad. And of course he lost his looks; few people escape that. We all deteriorate in the end.

Sorry Arch, it looked to me like it was out of print, but I did not read closely.

Windom's scruffy beard stayed about the same.

I won't deteriorate.  I eat lots of food with preservatives.  ;)
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Axélle on August 21, 2012, 03:02:33 AM
And what a dish!!! Then...

Axelle, calm down!  You're going to have an...

Oh. Oooh.  Oooooh. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: Jamie D on August 21, 2012, 03:31:48 AM
[clipped]

Oh. Oooh.  Oooooh. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!.

Yeeeeeesss, THIS!  >:-)

He he,
Axxx (rated)
  •  

Lyric

It's funny people here remember Windom mostly for that Star Trek episode, because the guy did a lot of other things. My favorite William Windom work was a short-live series in the '70s called "My World and Welcome To It". It was a sitcom based on the cartoons of great cartoonist James Thurber. Animated versions of Thurber cartoons were often worked into the show.

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •