Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is $370 for an online a fair price? What about $100 per hour?

Started by Shawn Sunshine, September 04, 2012, 06:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn Sunshine

I like i think this gal at myfemvoice.com named Lynette she seems really nice, and i am on a budget and i want to do her online course for $370 , does that seem like a fair price. Also she does personal coaching at $100 an hour, is that also a fair price?
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

Amazon D

Damn gurl constantly 24/7 speak in falsetto until you lose your voice and then when you start talking again it will be raised and then go with that and then later do it again and raise it some more and each time you move up .. damnnnnn are you rich ???
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Shawn Sunshine

:D No I am not rich at all, I just wanted some proper feminization training, learning the inflections and mannerisms and getting the right pitch and resonance so it won't sound fake like im being mickey mouse (which his voice i can do by the way)

That is why i was asking if there was another option heh
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

Devlyn

D, I wouldn't give you $3.70 for that lesson!  >:-) Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

dumb bunny

You have plenty of time, just look around the web for various methods for voice feminization, get yourself a decent little recorder and practice for short periods of time playing back your attempts to see how you sound. Transition is expensive enough, try to save the big bucks for other things. You can also learn a lot about inflections and mannerisms from watching/listening to other women your age. Just don't go crazy with overdoing it or that can clock you just as quick as not doing enough.
  •  

Rita

Definitely, until my voice is 100% there I do use voice modulation software on the computer and do my best to match it to the way my current female voice sounds.  So I can talk faster, and more naturally even if I am dropping into hyper male levels and more confidently(although I sometimes fear it failing)

On the flip, since I make the voice similar to my female voice it makes practicing interesting to record the differences.  To hear what I should sound like, and comparing it to what I do sound like when I practice.
  •  

Stephe

That's a very reasonable price and practicing female voice using falsetto is not a good idea. Straining you voice till you can't talk is a really bad idea. You could easily cause damage to your vocal cords that would require $$$$ surgery to fix, if it even could be. There is so much more to it that just the pitch anyway. I would maybe start with the "class" and then maybe after you have practiced some do a private chat with her to get feedback on how you are doing.

Again I am always blown away how so many people want to cheap out on what is the most important part of transition IMHO. They will spend 10K on electrolysis and 30K+ on FFS (that most don't even need IMHO) but if someone mentions spending $500 on voice therapy the "Are you rich?!?" comments come out of everywhere! The money I spend on voice therapy was far and away the best money I spent on my transition.
  •  

Snowpaw

Quote from: Stephe on September 27, 2012, 10:26:34 PM

Again I am always blown away how so many people want to cheap out on what is the most important part of transition IMHO. They will spend 10K on electrolysis and 30K+ on FFS (that most don't even need IMHO) but if someone mentions spending $500 on voice therapy the "Are you rich?!?" comments come out of everywhere! The money I spend on voice therapy was far and away the best money I spent on my transition.

It's more or less one of those things that one could just order the deep stealth video, get a mic and get opinions from others. Different strokes for different strokes. You can't get rid of hair as efficiently on your own. You can't do much without the hormones, you really don't want to attempt the surgery on your own, but voice work can be practiced from the safety of home. Again it's a personal thing.
  •  

Kitteh Engimeer

Quote from: Rita on September 27, 2012, 04:10:14 PM
Definitely, until my voice is 100% there I do use voice modulation software on the computer and do my best to match it to the way my current female voice sounds.  So I can talk faster, and more naturally even if I am dropping into hyper male levels and more confidently(although I sometimes fear it failing)

On the flip, since I make the voice similar to my female voice it makes practicing interesting to record the differences.  To hear what I should sound like, and comparing it to what I do sound like when I practice.

What software are you using? Am curious :0
  •  

Rita

Quote from: Slightly Interested on September 27, 2012, 10:48:11 PM
What software are you using? Am curious :0

Voice Changer Software Diamond
http://www.audio4fun.com/voice-over.htm

Works quite well ^.^ I use it when people beg me to talk since I don't feel comfortable with my female voice coming from my lips.  The whole "its not perfect they are gonna laugh at me syndrome".
  •  

Cindi Jones

I know someone who has been sifting through youtube videos on the subject. She says it has helped her. You'll only invest some time by that method. Listen to someone with an Irish accent. Practice that inflection at the end of each sentence. You'd be surprised how far that will get you.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Snowpaw on September 27, 2012, 10:33:51 PM
It's more or less one of those things that one could just order the deep stealth video, get a mic and get opinions from others. Different strokes for different strokes. You can't get rid of hair as efficiently on your own. You can't do much without the hormones, you really don't want to attempt the surgery on your own, but voice work can be practiced from the safety of home. Again it's a personal thing.

I guess I just see this in the total package price of transition as being one of the cheapest things to have someone help you with.

Given what a HUGE difference a great voice can be, as far as living full time successfully, vs say spending 5K extra on eye socket bone work that isn't going to make a -pass or not pass- difference that people have no problem spending. When I see these u-tube videos of people instructing online "female voice" they don't even cover the very basic things, like correct breathing. Or they tell you to strain your voice etc as a way of improving it.

Like you said, this is a personal choice but as you can see in this tread, everyone is telling her not to get professional help (basically saying it's a rip off when they have never had one lesson themselves..) and how she can save a few hundred bucks trying X or Y. It always just strikes me as odd, that's all. If you are concerned about the money, shop at the thrift store for clothes would save enough cash to pay for a few voice lesions. We are only talking about what a few pairs of retail jeans and shoes would cost...
  •  

Rita

After my electrolysis sessions become bi-weekly (which is soon) I am definitely going to invest in some kind of voice coaching.

The confidence your looks plays on your voice is amazing. 

I wouldnt do it online though,  your voice goes through a meat grinder from the mic to the other persons speakers/headphones.  Just as it does over the phone.
  •  

Snowpaw

Quote from: Stephe on September 28, 2012, 02:06:45 AM

Like you said, this is a personal choice but as you can see in this tread, everyone is telling her not to get professional help (basically saying it's a rip off when they have never had one lesson themselves..) and how she can save a few hundred bucks trying X or Y. It always just strikes me as odd, that's all. If you are concerned about the money, shop at the thrift store for clothes would save enough cash to pay for a few voice lesions. We are only talking about what a few pairs of retail jeans and shoes would cost...

Are they? I see varied opinions here. I think saying everyone is a bit of a exaggeration. I wasn't against it I merely stated my opinion. This is a forum, where differences of opinion are held. I also gave my life experience, I always wanted to be a voice actor as a teen well into a adult, I practiced alot. My sneezes, my laugh, even my coughs are feminine. Could it be improved? Yes. but given that not just the OP will be coming here for advice I want to point out for others who may be in the same financial situation I am in that you can get equal results from practice at home. What you said though makes it seem hopeless for everyone else. That if they don't do the therapy they will never pass. How would that seem to a fresh newbie who came here looking for advice? It would scare them. It may make them feel hopeless. There are many variables to consider. What is right for you may not be right for them but could be right for they. Voice therapy could work for those who want it, youtube videos of "smucks" could work for others like me. Different strokes for different folks.
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Rita on September 28, 2012, 09:58:27 AM
After my electrolysis sessions become bi-weekly (which is soon) I am definitely going to invest in some kind of voice coaching.

The confidence your looks plays on your voice is amazing. 

I wouldnt do it online though,  your voice goes through a meat grinder from the mic to the other persons speakers/headphones.  Just as it does over the phone.

You have a very good point here. It's the same reason listening to yourself recorded helps but is also limited. The sound of your voice can change dramatically depending on what microphone, the recording device and what speakers you play it back on. How do you know which one is what you actually sound like to other people?  I know my voice coach changed what she wanted me to practice after she would listen to me speak for a while each session. She could pick out the problems and point out what to do to fix them. Simple things like pronouncing the start of the letter h softly (practiced say "ah ha" thousands of times) makes a huge difference. These details were very hard for me to find on my own, I tried for over a year and had to unlearn all of that, which just made it more difficult later. I would know it didn't sound right but trying to figure out exactly why wasn't easy. I see a lot of MTF speaking VERY softly, barely above a whisper trying to sound feminine. They sound OK until they -have- to speak up and then they totally sound like a guy.

I'm sure some people did this themselves but IMHO given how important a good voice is, it's well worth spending a few bucks on some voice lessons. In person would be ideal but if that isn't possible, phone/skype would be better than nothing. Getting feedback from someone who has studied voice was very helpful for me.

I don't ever recall reading anyone who went to one saying that going to a voice coach was a total waste of their time and money. As far as DVD's etc, I have no experience with that and maybe they are a waste of money but $100 a hour for private sessions is around what I paid and seems to be the going rate.
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Snowpaw on September 28, 2012, 11:07:10 AM
but given that not just the OP will be coming here for advice I want to point out for others who may be in the same financial situation I am in that you can get equal results from practice at home. What you said though makes it seem hopeless for everyone else. That if they don't do the therapy they will never pass. How would that seem to a fresh newbie who came here looking for advice? It would scare them. It may make them feel hopeless.

Yet the hundreds of posts about how full FFS at $25K+ is really required, as is tons of electrolysis needed + 12 months of HRT before someone can even try to pass is somehow not daunting? Honestly if $500-800 of voice therapy is going to freak someone out, they are gonna be in for a huge shock trying to transition. You're gonna spend that much on shoes! lol

And IMHO you can look half male/half female but if you have a great voice, you will pass 100% of the time once you speak. Plenty of natal females are extra manly looking but no one suspects them of being trans, mainly because of their voice. But then again take someone who looks 100% female and give them an iffy voice and they are much more likely not to pass.

And this is where we have to agree to disagree, I tried for over a year doing this "practice at home" and I did not get even close to "equal results"...

Clearly if someone has zero money for any of this then trying to learn at home is an option. I guess what I get so confused about is people who have spent 25K on FFS yet still have a manly voice & don't pass. They won't do voice therapy (it's too much money) and want more surgery thinking that is the problem! I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people who get voice surgery never paid for some voice therapy first...
  •  

Snowpaw

I will just agree to disagree. Don't wanna derail too much.

Although I just wanna say, my shoes are awesome. I love my sandals. My vans and chucks <3
  •