Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Intermittent Fasting

Started by JennTO, October 09, 2012, 05:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JennTO

I have been reading about intermittent fasting.  I've tried it for a few weeks (no breakfast or lunch on Tuesday or Thursday). Seems to drop the pounds without being too hungry.  On fasting days, I drink a lot of herbal tea and water.   Does anyone else have any Int. fasting experiences to share?
  •  

RedFox

I've done both extended (more than two weeks) and intermittent fasting over the past few years.  For me it was easier and healthier to go on extended fasts than it was to simply skip meals intermittently.  It takes time (24-72 hours) for the body to switch over to a ketogenic state and start burning fat for fuel.  With very short fasts there's a good possibility that your weight loss is simply water weight or muscle loss.

But hey, if it's working for you and you can manage it, go for it.  But I recommend using an advanced scale that measures your body mass accurately and tracks percentages of fat, muscle, water (hydration), and bone.  You should track it all to see how your body is REALLY reacting to a fast.

•  

JennTO

I have a Tanita scale that tracks body fat.  You are suggesting that there is a more sophisticated scale.  Who makes it?
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I have done intermittent fasting, more through necessity than a plan.  I have went months with only one meal, top ramen.  I did get down to 135 lbs, which I loved.  However I was talked into gaining weight for hips, butt and boobs.

That was a total lie, as it went where it always has.  My belly.  I am now trying to eat more balanced meals.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

RedFox

Quote from: JennTO on October 09, 2012, 08:41:56 PM
I have a Tanita scale that tracks body fat.  You are suggesting that there is a more sophisticated scale.  Who makes it?

I believe Tanita does, among other manufacturers.  Google is your friend.   :)

•  

JennTO

Thanks. I did google it.  Tanita has plenty.  Very cool.
  •