Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transition during high school

Started by Kevin Peña, September 05, 2012, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Peña

Ok, I am currently in my senior year of high school and I thought things through. I came to the conclusion that I don't want to begin transition as an adult. I want to start during high school so that I could have a year on HRT and live my entire adult life as a female in society. I just wanted some advice on the following issues since I really have no clue how to make this work.

1. I'm very popular in my school since I'm the top student and since I go to a specialized high school, smart kids are well-known. Thus, people know of my birth gender and I wanted to know the most efficient way to come out upon going full time, if I actually do during high school. Would a mass e-mail from the principal or something be good? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. I need to know how to hide some of the feminizing effects of female hormones so I don't get outed before I'm ready, so any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

3. If anyone has experience doing this sort of thing, please share some experience and offer some miscellaneous thoughts if it's not too much to ask.
  •  

Ave

Quote from: DianaP on September 05, 2012, 07:44:10 PM
Ok, I am currently in my senior year of high school and I thought things through. I came to the conclusion that I don't want to begin transition as an adult. I want to start during high school so that I could have a year on HRT and live my entire adult life as a female in society. I just wanted some advice on the following issues since I really have no clue how to make this work.

1. I'm very popular in my school since I'm the top student and since I go to a specialized high school, smart kids are well-known. Thus, people know of my birth gender and I wanted to know the most efficient way to come out upon going full time, if I actually do during high school. Would a mass e-mail from the principal or something be good? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. I need to know how to hide some of the feminizing effects of female hormones so I don't get outed before I'm ready, so any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

3. If anyone has experience doing this sort of thing, please share some experience and offer some miscellaneous thoughts if it's not too much to ask.

I went to those, I totally know what you mean about how the smarter you are the more well-known you are.

For hiding feminizing effects, just get a compression shirt. Nothing else really "feminizes" that greatly that people who see you every day are going to notice.

Do you have thick facial hair? You should get started on removing that also. Are your parents on board? It's going to be a b*tch if they're not, but still doable.

Honestly though, I'd give HRT the year to work and socially transition once you enter college. At least that way you'll have hair removal (if applicable, I didn't have any "thick" beard hairs I had to remove), and be more feminized.
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: SilentOwls on September 05, 2012, 08:02:00 PM
Do you have thick facial hair? You should get started on removing that also. Are your parents are board? It's going to be a b*tch if they're not, but still doable.

My dad knows of me being trans, but my mom is still in the dark since I don't know how accepting of this she will be. I will tell her before I graduate, though. I plan on getting my father to be on board with financing my HRT (I never asked for much during my entire childhood, so he should be cool with that  :)) and I'll be going down the informed consent route to avoid any therapy requirements. I already know of a clinic I can easily bike to, so that's all set.

I really don't have thick, if any, facial hair. I can just shave until I go full time, get a job as an EMT, then get electrolysis. I won't be attending college, so this will have to do for social transition. Besides, that won't be a concern until I actually go full time. A well-groomed face on top of the feminizing effects of HRT would raise suspicions.

•  

Ave

Quote from: DianaP on September 05, 2012, 08:08:09 PM
My dad knows of me being trans, but my mom is still in the dark since I don't know how accepting of this she will be. I will tell her before I graduate, though. I plan on getting my father to be on board with financing my HRT (I never asked for much during my entire childhood, so he should be cool with that  :)) and I'll be going down the informed consent route to avoid any therapy requirements. I already know of a clinic I can easily bike to, so that's all set.

I really don't have thick, if any, facial hair. I can just shave until I go full time, get a job as an EMT, then get electrolysis. Besides, that won't be a concern until I actually go full time. A well-groomed face on top of the feminizing effects of HRT would raise suspicions.

Don't you have to be 18 to do informed consent? (even if you have parental approval?)

I would get started on hair removal now, unless you have facial hair like a 12 year olds like I did it really takes a while. No one's going to suspect you're trans, it's not like it's that common. They might just think you're gay or well-groomed.
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Kevin Peña

Actually, at 18, I'm pretty sure you can get informed consent without parental approval since you are LEGAL adult. I'm just bringing my dad in case I need his permission.

I seriously don't have a lot of facial hair. I just looked in the mirror and counted the number of hairs on my face on my hands.... I wish I could afford hair removal, but my family doesn't have that kind of money. Even if we did, I wouldn't ask for it. I always felt bad asking my parents for any money and only accept it if I really need it.
  •  

Ave

Quote from: DianaP on September 05, 2012, 08:17:20 PM
Actually, at 18, I'm pretty sure you can get informed consent without parental approval since you are LEGAL adult. I'm just bringing my dad in case I need his permission.

I seriously don't have a lot of facial hair. I just looked in the mirror and counted the number of hairs on my face on my hands.... I wish I could afford hair removal, but my family doesn't have that kind of money. Even if we did, I wouldn't ask for it. I always felt bad asking my parents for any money and only accept it if I really need it.

Sorry, I just figured that since you were still in high school you were a minor. No need to get prissy.
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: SilentOwls on September 05, 2012, 08:21:51 PM
Sorry, I just figured that since you were still in high school you were a minor. No need to get prissy.

Oh, I'm really sorry. I was just talking honestly. I seriously didn't mean to offend you or sound prissy. I'm sorry if I came across as such. I understand your assumption, I just started school late since I have a birthday in the middle of the schoolyear, so I had to wait until I was 6 to start school.
  •  

yasuko14

Quote from: DianaP on September 05, 2012, 07:44:10 PM

I began hormone therapy right before highschool, and when I entered, I just had a talk with my principal about notifying teachers and setting up bathroom stuff.

I just began wearing skinny jeans and baggy t-shirts and began slowly growing out my hair. Eventually I began wearing a sports bra under my baggy clothes. I basically dressed like a tomboy and over the course of 4 years people just got used to the changes and really didn't notice that I went from tomboy to VS model.

Hormones didn't really take drastic effects until past the 3-4 year mark, so I don't think you're going to get C cup breasts in 1 year or anything femininely drastic.

My best advice is to clean up and look a little metro or "Hollister" so to speak. Then slowly move into more feminine attire.. I honestly  wouldn't go full time at school with makeup and all, its just going to cause you to be more infamous. Hold off on skirts and makeup and stuff till after highschool, the less people know the better. So by the time college comes around you will look like a chick with a shorter haircut and not many people may know.

Just use this year to get your hormones and body in check so you have an edge the following years in college.

TIPS:

After highchool if your hair isn't long enough Id suggest getting hair extensions a a salon.  Basically a weave. It sucks growing it out and looking awkward with short hair in my own personal experience.

EAT. If youre taking hormones and the idea is that you want to be a woman, you need to eat. You need to let those hormones have some fat to work with. To soften up your male physique. im not saying to get huuge but eat so you "fill out".

•  

Ave

Quote from: DianaP on September 05, 2012, 08:25:42 PM
Oh, I'm really sorry. I was just talking honestly. I seriously didn't mean to offend you or sound prissy. I'm sorry if I came across as such. I understand your assumption, I just started school late since I have a birthday in the middle of the schoolyear, so I had to wait until I was 6 to start school.

lol no worries.

yeah though, hormones are weird things. You don't know how they will affect you. I've been taking AA's since I was 15 and I don't really plan on transitioning (subject to change, I'm just going with the flow). I do get "she" a lot, but the worst is that people think I'm a very young boy who just entered high school :P

It's an "adorable" look like a girl in my program once said. :o
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: yasuko14 on September 05, 2012, 08:27:44 PM

I began hormone therapy right before highschool, and when I entered, I just had a talk with my principal about notifying teachers and setting up bathroom stuff.

I just began wearing skinny jeans and baggy t-shirts and began slowly growing out my hair. Eventually I began wearing a sports bra under my baggy clothes. I basically dressed like a tomboy and over the course of 4 years people just got used to the changes and really didn't notice that I went from tomboy to VS model.

Hormones didn't really take drastic effects until past the 3-4 year mark, so I don't think you're going to get C cup breasts in 1 year or anything femininely drastic.

My best advice is to clean up and look a little metro or "Hollister" so to speak. Then slowly move into more feminine attire.. I honestly  wouldn't go full time at school with makeup and all, its just going to cause you to be more infamous. Hold off on skirts and makeup and stuff till after highschool, the less people know the better. So by the time college comes around you will look like a chick with a shorter haircut and not many people may know.

Just use this year to get your hormones and body in check so you have an edge the following years in college.

TIPS:

After highchool if your hair isn't long enough Id suggest getting hair extensions a a salon.  Basically a weave. It sucks growing it out and looking awkward with short hair in my own personal experience.

EAT. If youre taking hormones and the idea is that you want to be a woman, you need to eat. You need to let those hormones have some fat to work with. To soften up your male physique. im not saying to get huuge but eat so you "fill out".

Honestly, it's hard not to be jealous that you began transition before high school  :). Thanks for the tips, it's a relief to know I won't be so feminine as to worry about coming out. I would only want to come out if I had to. While I have no idea what metro or hollister mean, I'll figure it out. If it means wearing pants, then I'll have to go with no  :laugh:. I'll only be wearing pants at work or during exercise once I completely transition, but then again, I'm girly, so dresses//skirts are my best friends.  ;D

Quote from: SilentOwls on September 05, 2012, 08:36:06 PM
lol no worries.

yeah though, hormones are weird things. You don't know how they will affect you. I've been taking AA's since I was 15 and I don't really plan on transitioning (subject to change, I'm just going with the flow). I do get "she" a lot, but the worst is that people think I'm a very young boy who just entered high school :P

It's an "adorable" look like a girl in my program once said. :o

Once again, jealous. I just hope that hormones won't work TOO well for me, is all. I really don't want to come out during high school. I already have enough to worry about, and I don't need incessant questioning and drama.
  •  

yasuko14

Quote from: DianaP on September 05, 2012, 08:41:54 PM
Honestly, it's hard not to be jealous that you began transition before high school  :). Thanks for the tips, it's a relief to know I won't be so feminine as to worry about coming out. I would only want to come out if I had to. While I have no idea what metro or hollister mean, I'll figure it out. If it means wearing pants, then I'll have to go with no  :laugh:. I'll only be wearing pants at work or during exercise once I completely transition, but then again, I'm girly, so dresses//skirts are my best friends.  ;D

It was definitely a curse and a blessing at the same time. The social aspects of transitioning around 12-13 are horrible. Ill be frank, It was literally hell. While the physical results are worth it, it was emotionally hard and a bit damaging. All the rumors, teasing, mocking. It was all there mainly because at 12-17 everyone is immature and cruel. I never dated and boys stayed far away from me my entire highschool career. Which ended up in a very low self esteem and dark view of the world.

In the end though, It essentially payed off. Or rather since I survived and didn't succumb to depression or suicide. Now I moved away from that town and I live my life in a new city and have a loving boyfriend of 2 years. It was definitely the price I paid to be so passable I suppose.

•  

yasuko14

Also I am Pre-op

So i am 99% there in closing this chapter in my life.. ugh so close but so far away..
Id say about $10,000 away.. X.X

•