Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner?

Started by Cindy, September 11, 2012, 04:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

I want to start a new thread about what we are eating at the moment.

The idea behind this is that many of us live alone and we need to keep healthy. We may have not much money and we may not have a lot of time or energy.

So what are we going to cook tonight to keep us healthy?

These are basic meals. If you use commercial ingredients try and use a web link as they vary from place to place.

If your meal has a copyright please include it, ie you need to quote where you got it from with due acknowledgement to the author and publication.

Veal with tomato and stuff.

For one and has left overs that can be frozen or kept at 4C (fridge)

About 250 grams of veal, lean.

Cut into strips and discard fat etc.

Put into a casserole dish with a tin of diced tomatoes.

Add pepper and 'Italian' flavour (gourmetgarden.com Italian Herb Paste or equivalent)

Some stock or water to dilute out without being too runny.

Cook at about 190-200C for about 30 mins.

While cooling make instant rice.

I use one of the commercial cook in the microwave for 90 seconds rice with flavour, such as Uncle Ben's Mexican Flavour Rice.

When cooked, add rice to casserole mix and stir, serve with some dry bread.

Very tasty costs not much and can be adapted.

Prep time 5 mins.

Cooking time 40 mins.

Obviously this can be adapted for any sort of meat and gives a quick and healthy meal. Add veggies if you have them.

•  

AbraCadabra

"Cold kitchen with a draft..." getting too heavy :(
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Jamie D

Last night, I was not in the mood to cook, but the girls were hungry, and I had a large skinless chicken breast I had to use.  So here is what I did.

*  I put some sourdough dinner rolls in the oven to warm.
*  I sliced the breast into strips, seasoned with garlic, pepper, oregano, and quickly stirfried in a little olive oil.
*  Meanwhile I boiled a big pot of water with a little salt.
*  I had a jar of plain commercial spaghetti sauce, which I poured into a saucepan to warm.  Added a diced tomato.
*  With the water boiling, I added a small box (about 4 servings) of thin spaghetti pasta, and let cook for 7 minutes.
*  I put the cooked chicken aside on a paper towel to soak up any extra grease, and quickly stirfried some green bell pepper and half a large onion, coarsely chopped, and added those to the sauce.
*  After 7 minutes, drained the cooked al dente spaghetti in a colander.
*  Put together a quick green salad, with fresh tomato and sliced avocado.

Plated the pasta and poured on the sauce.  Topped with chicken strips. Salad and dinner roll to the side.

All done in 20 minutes.  No copyright on this one.  I made it up as I went.
  •  

justmeinoz

I do a lot of catch-as-catch-can Stir Fry.
I always start with a crushed clove of garlic and a sliced onion. Only mandatory ingredient.

The fresher the vegetables the better.

As well as a small amount of olive or vegetable oil I ALWAYS add Sesame oil. Makes all the difference.  Just half a dozen drops is sufficient.  Sometimes also ginger oil, chilli oil, or a teaspoon of Sambal Olek chillies.

Once the onion and garlic have started to change colour I add thinly sliced, chicken, beef or lamb. Especially with chicken I don't stir until there is a slight colour change or it will stick. Also sometimes cubed fish.  Not a lot though, the vegetables are the main part of the dish.

Nice high heat, and keep it gently moving until it starts to brown.

Add veg, and continue stirring until vegies are done but still crisp.

Sometimes I have it with Cous Cous instead of rice.   

Simple but very nutritious.

"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Beverly

Slob night tonight..

Chips, peas, carrots and chili-burger in wholemeal baps with sliced raw onions. Homemade apple pie & custard for pudding.
  •  

Jamie D

Tonight, I made a Chicken Waldorf Salad.  Very easy.

I used leftover large chicken breast, but you could have as easily used canned chicken.

In a large mixing bowl:

Dice two apples, leaving on the skins.  Use two different types for more color.
Cut up your chicken into bite-sized chunks.
Dice two celery stalks.
Add a handfull of raisins, currants, or chopped dates.

Toss with one cup of mayonnaise and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Chill for 30 minutes.

Serve as a salad, or on bread as a sandwich.

Options:

Season with curry powder
Add sliced grapes
Add fined chopped green onion

Prep time 10 minutes
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Slow Crock pot Beef.  Injected onion and garlic juice in to the meat.  Salt and pepper rud and browned in a hot pan.

Carrots, potatoes, mushrooms in a beef stock and cook on low for about 8 hours.  Yummy.

And afterward, cut up some of the roast and left over veggies.  Back in the stock with Kitchen Bouquet and gravy mix for a roast beef stew.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Kevin Peña

Scrambled eggs cooked together with rice, tuna, onions, black pepper, and chicken. Also, an orange and apple.
  •  

Jamie D

On Saturday night I made cioppino.  It is an Italian-style fish stew, first made by the Italian-American fishermen in San Francisco.  Served with some crusty sourdough rolls on the side.

I made mine somewhat differently, including the tomato sauce from scratch, but here is the Food Network version:

Total Time:
    30 min
Prep
    10 min   
Cook
    20 min   

Yield:
    2 servings   

Cioppino
Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
    1/2 cup sliced onions
    1 clove garlic, minced
    6 to 8 clams
    6 to 8 mussels
    1 cup red wine
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
    Red pepper flakes, to taste
    6 shrimp shelled and de-veined
    1 small fish fillet (recommended: sea bass, flounder or other mild firm flesh fish)

Directions

Heat olive oil in a deep saute pan, over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onions and garlic and saute until tender, approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Add the clams, mussels, red wine, chicken stock, marinara, red pepper flakes, shrimp and fish fillet and continue cooking until the clams and mussels are open, the shrimp cooked through and the fish is flaky. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with a side of pasta and good bread, if desired.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

•  

justmeinoz

Dinner was a Mushroom Risotto. Done as a rice pudding in the oven as usual. Also came out perfect, as usual! Also a couple of glasses of South Australian Shiraz, Penfolds Koonunga Hill , 2010. ;D
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: justmeinoz on October 16, 2012, 02:50:03 AM
Dinner was a Mushroom Risotto. Done as a rice pudding in the oven as usual. Also came out perfect, as usual! Also a couple of glasses of South Australian Shiraz, Penfolds Koonunga Hill , 2010. ;D

Sounds wonderful, Karen. Your wine selection reminded me of a post in the "Australian Wines" topic I made last May:

Quote from: Jamie D on May 31, 2012, 03:23:19 PM
Okay, so I went by my local BevMo store to stock up on some wines and other libations.

They had one Coonawarra region wine in stock, so I got it to try this weekend.  It is close to an Alexis recommendation, and one, I hope, of which Cindy would approve.

Penley Estate
Hyland
2008 Coonawara Shiraz

On the back label it reads:

The Name: Penley was born out of our family names Penfold and Tolley, synonymous with 160 years of winemaking tradition.  Hyland pays tribute to our Penfold-Hyland forebears.
  •  

Cindy

I'm making a roast chicken fillet with roast vegies of carrot, pumpkin. potato, capsicum and mushroom.

Roast capsicum is very sweet.

Why roast? Too damn lazy to cook.

I think I'll have a glass of dry white as well. It is only Tuesday but it has been a long day of hassle and argument.

Cindy
  •  

kelly_aus

Hmm, tonight I finished off some 'Bolognese' I made over the weekend..

Recipe:
300 gms ground veal and pork mix
2 medium onions
3 tbl spoons tomato paste
as much or little minced garlic as you like
3 cans chopped/crushed tomatos
a slosh of wine
mixed herbs - I use a dried Provence mix..
Olive oil

Chop onions finely.
Add onions, garlic and meat to medium out with slosh of olive oil.
Brown off onions, meat and garlic.
Add tomato paste.
Add tomatos.
Add wine and herbs.
Bring to the boil and then simmer it for a while..
  •  

Jamie D

Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I got this recipe from a super cooking blog.  The original recipe uses Morbier cheese from France.  It is a pungent, semi-soft cheese, originally used as a farmer's cheese in the olden days.  It has a distinctive black ash stripe through the middle.

For me, Morbier was hard to find, so I substituted creamy Halvarti cheese instead - it is another semi-soft type.  Gouda I think might have worked as well.

Also, the original recipe uses whole grain wheat bread.  I used cracked wheat sourdough bread.

The ingredients are:

Sweet onion, thinly sliced
Grapeseed oil
Kosher salt
Sherry
Whole grain wheat bread
Morbier cheese, thinly sliced
D'Anjou or other sweet pear, just ripe and still firm, thinly sliced
Unsalted butter

The directions:

Over medium-low heat, caramelized your thinly-sliced sweet onion (Vidalia, Mayan, Walla Walla, etc) in grapeseed oil and a little salt.  When the onion begins to turn a reddish brown, deglaze the saute pan with a little sherry and cook until dry.

Take two pieces of bread and spread softened butter on one side.  Over medium heat in your skillet, toast the two slices of bread until browned, and remove from skillet.  Top the browned side of your bread generously with your sliced cheese, then your sliced pear, then top with the caramelized onion.  If necessary, melt a bit more butter in the skillet (however, there should be enough  there already, from the first side).

Place the other piece of bread, browned side down, on the cheese pear, and onion.  Place your sandwich back in the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high.  Brown each side.  When finished, remove to a serving plate and eat while still warm.

This is very nice with a cup of soup.

(Kudos to Lucky Peach)
  •  

Jamie D

My daughter is home from college for the weekend, so I decided to make something special.  We had Beef Stroganoff, with a green salad comprised of farm fresh local baby greens and yellow grape tomatoes, and herbed potato wedges.

Recipe to follow after I clean up the kitchen!

Beef Stroganoff Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds of sirloin beefsteak, cut into thin strips, dusted with flour, garlic salt and pepper
Peanut oil (or other high temp oil)
Butter - 1 stick, divided as needed
1 medium yellow onion peeled and diced
1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
12 ounces of sliced mushrooms (white button or portobellini)
Sherry
10 ounces beef broth
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (optional - see below)
All purpose flour (optional - see below)
1 beef bullion cube
1 cup sour cream
Flat egg noodles

Method

In a medium-sized skillet, heat a small amount of oil over a medium flame, and add 2 tablespoons of butter.
Quickly cook your beef strips until browned, then transfer to a larger skillet on medium low heat.

In the beef dripping, sweat your diced onion until translucent.
Add your minced garlic and continue for 1 minute.
Remover your onion and garlic to the large skillet with the meat.
Melt another 2 tablespoon of butter and saute your mushrooms until brown.
Deglaze with sherry and cook until nearly dry.  (Reserve additional sherry for the cook!)
Add mushrooms to the meat.

In the large skillet, add beef broth and bullion cube, allow to simmer on medium heat.
At this point add 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup  -or-
... make a light brown roux out of equal parts butter and flour, to thicken the meat mixture (I prefer this method)
continue to cook until the Stroganoff mushroom sauce has thickened, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes (do not boil or scorch).
At the last minute, stir in sour cream, and add additional sherry if desired.

In the meantime, cook flat egg noodle as directed on the box to al dente.
Drain and toss with a small amount of butter (or oil).

Place a generous amount of noodles on the plate, and ladle Stroganoff over the noodles.
Makes about six portions

•  

Jamie D

Herbed Potato Wedges

Very easy and flexible.

Preheat your over to 400F

Clean your potatoes (about 4 to 5 medium), removing eyes or dark spots as needed, but do not peel.
Slice your potatoes lengthwise into 4 to 8 wedges, depending on the size of the potato (more wedges from larger potatoes)

Place potato wedges in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons high smoke vegetable oil, such as peanut oil, and toss to coat.
Add your selection of herbs and seasonings and toss
(I use sage, thyme, dried garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika.  But be creative!)

Spray a baking pan or casserole with a small amount of spray oil and pour in wedges so that they lay flat in the pan.
Cook for approximately 20 minutes, then turn randomly with a spatula, return to heat.

Cook another 20 minutes until some of the potatoes have become crispy brown.  As they are different sizes, not all will brown at the same time.  Remove to serving plate.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
  •  

Simon

Watergate Salad.

1 can  (20 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 pkg.  (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup  JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
1/2 cup  chopped PLANTERS Pecans
1-1/2 cups  thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
1 jar maraschino cherries

Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl.

Stir in Cool Whip.

Refrigerate 1 hour.

Top with cherries.

Eat.
  •  

Cindy

Simon,

That is not food :icon_yikes: :icon_yikes: :icon_yikes: :icon_yikes:!!!

That is calories in a bowl pretending to be food  - and you call it a salad :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :icon

Cindy
  •  

justmeinoz

BBQ burgers, boiled potatoes, carrots and pumpkin.  Too late to get fancy, but the burgers tasted great.
  •  

Brooke777

I made beef strogonoff in the slow cooker yesterday. It turned out pretty good but it needed something.

The night before, I made grilled rosemary mint lamb with yams. It was a good meal.
  •